1.    #1  
    Anyone else out there bugged that the Treo has no ability for memory expansion or that the new color treo isn't going to have a high res display?

I use a Visor Prism with a CF Memplug. I have now at least 20 meg in documents, jpgs, programs, etc. that would never fit on a treo.

Also, with sony putting out a high res display, why would I want to spend big bucks for a unit that has no better display than the Prism I already own.

Its frustrating, I'd like to replace my Prism and Startac with a Treo but, I'm not willing to sacrifice the memory expansion and don't want to stick with low res color.

I think handspring may have been short sighted in these areas. After giving me the ability to have a Prism with over 100 meg of storage they want me to go back?

tbonney
    Unfortunately for you, you're not their target market. They did not aim for the Palm geek with these new devices. They aimed directly at the high-end data-enabled phone market with these and hit it dead on. The Treo kicks the hell out of any current smart-phone, IMHO. The Treo is NOT meant to replace a Prism with memplug and a startac. If it's meant to replace any current Palm user's Palm, it's more appropriate for the vastly more popular Palm V line and accompanying cell phones that many executives carry.

That said, I think you should just wait and see. I don't know their future plans any more than the next guy, but I think it's safe to bet that at some point they'll have a Treo running on an ARM processor (that most cell phones these days run on anyway!) with maybe a high-res screen, voice dialing, and an SD slot (it being the smallest memory expansion so far).
    I think a more importent missing feature, if it is indeed true, is that the Treo keyboard does not have a command-stroke key.

Mine hasn't arrived yet, so i'd like some input on this. A command-stoke key is invaluable on any other palm keyboard, the fact that this wouldn't be on the treo is shocking.

If it is indeed missing...why hasn't anybody made a hack for it?!
    You actually don't need a command stroke as it is built into the 180 with menu shortcuts. For example if you drop the menu bar on any dialog by pressing the menu button, just press the letter corresponding to any menu shortcut to invoke that command - e.g. x to cut and p to paste. The menu does not have to be visible for the accelerator to be active.

On the subject of memeory expansion: I think that this is a useful idea but there are two big things which cause problems on smartphones - battery usage and FCC regulations/RF emissions.

SDRAM needs a refresh every few seconds and this uses power. You can seriously compromise battery life by doubling memory capacity. If you go the Flash RAM route, this is more acceptable but is not truly available RAM. I feel sure that there will be a backup/flash module that snaps on to Treo soon. It sems like a great business opportunity for the folks who make a device like this for Palm Vs.

If Treo had a Springboard or SD slot, there would be myriad possibilities for RF interaction and the danger of inhibiting the phones use. These things make product manufacturers very nervous because they dont want a potentially harmful product to the consumer. Aftermarket antennas and heasets change the RF characteristics of phones; thisnk what an expansion card for something like bluetooth would do to the existing radio. You would have to build from scratch like Motorola is doing for Bluetooth integration.

I liked the concept I heard this week of combined GSM/GPRS and 802.11 on one device which VoiceStream is pushing. I wonder if HS will ever go this direction?
    Dude, the Palm i705 has an SD slot and a wireless radio. Sure it's not voice, but it's still a radio for the data modem. While I'm not technically knowledgeable in the interaction of SD slots and modem/voice radios, I think your assumptions are incorrect. As far as I understand it, the sole reasons Handspring chose not to put expansion into the Treo was size and battery life considerations. They think if it was any bigger than it is, it wouldn't sell as well. I think they're probably right.

-Greg
    Originally posted by meta_dave
    You actually don't need a command stroke as it is built into the 180 with menu shortcuts. For example if you drop the menu bar on any dialog by pressing the menu button, just press the letter corresponding to any menu shortcut to invoke that command - e.g. x to cut and p to paste. The menu does not have to be visible for the accelerator to be active.
    Thats what I thought, makes total sense.
    -- Go Illini!
  7.    #7  
    I understand the battery life issue with adding memory expansion. I don't know how much extra size it would cost to add an SD card slot. But, they have really improved on the standby time with new software. Maybe the memory expansion is still a possibility.

I could live with the Prism-like screen if the added an SD card slot.

tbonney
    with the lid closed, my treo will only scroll down one item at a time. however with it open it flies through the names. anyone else have this problem... really sucks when driving and trying to select a person to cal.
    eshear: that's to prevent battery drain when the lid is closed. imagine how pissed you'd be if you put the Treo in your pocket and the jog wheel got pressed and held down, and you pull it out of your pocket an hour later to find the battery almost drained. Similarly, the scroll buttons or other buttons being held down don't work the same way for all applications as they do when the lid is open.