Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Palm Gains on Verizon Smartphone Effort, Takeover Speculation - Bloomberg.com

Palm Gains on Verizon Smartphone Effort, Takeover Speculation

By Mary Childs

Jan. 15 (Bloomberg) -- Palm Inc. climbed as much as 10 percent in Nasdaq trading on speculation that the company may be acquired and a new push by Verizon Communications Inc. to promote smartphones, including Palm devices.

There’s talk that Nokia Oyj and Motorola Inc. would be interested in buying the company, said Charlie Wolf, an analyst with Needham & Co. in New York. Verizon, meanwhile, is preparing to sell updated versions of Palm’s Pre and Pixi smartphones. The carrier revamped its calling plans to encourage more customers to buy data plans, which may make Palm devices more desirable.

“Verizon is making a consolidated bet on the number of devices they’re going to support, and Palm made the cut,” said Kevin Dede, an analyst at Jesup & Lamont in San Francisco. He has a hold rating on the shares, which he doesn’t own.

Palm added 67 cents, or 5.2 percent, to $13.51 at 2:07 p.m. New York time on the Nasdaq Stock Market. The shares climbed as high as $14.14 earlier in the session, the highest price since October. The stock has added 35 percent this year.

Derick Mains, a spokesman for Sunnyvale, California-based Palm, said the company doesn’t comment on stock moves or market speculation.

Verizon Wireless, the biggest mobile-phone carrier in the U.S., announced plans this month to sell updated versions of Palm’s Pre and Pixi. Until now, the phones have only been available through Sprint Nextel Corp. in the U.S. AT&T Inc., the country’s second-largest wireless carrier, also is adding Palm smartphones to its lineup.

Nokia, Motorola

A Palm acquisition could help competitors bolster their product lines, Wolf said.

“There are two companies out there, namely Nokia and Motorola, that are hurting,” said Wolf, who doesn’t own shares of Palm. He has a hold rating on the stock. “If they bought Palm, they would get access to a very elegant platform -- so you’re going to hear rumors like this.”

Arja Suominen, a spokeswoman for Finland’s Nokia, declined to comment, citing the company’s policy of not discussing market rumors or speculation. Jennifer Erickson, a spokeswoman for Schaumburg, Illinois-based Motorola, didn’t immediately return a call seeking comment.

Motorola dropped 8 cents, or 1 percent, to $7.63 in New York Stock Exchange trading. Nokia’s U.S. shares fell 20 cents to $13.17. Shares of Verizon Communications Inc., the co-owner of Verizon Wireless, declined 63 cents to $30.59.

To contact the reporter on this story: Mary Childs in New York at mchilds4@bloomberg.net
    Last Updated: January 15, 2010 14:15 EST
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Palm Gains on Verizon Smartphone Effort, Takeover Speculation - Bloomberg.com

Palm Gains on Verizon Smartphone Effort, Takeover Speculation

By Mary Childs

Jan. 15 (Bloomberg) -- Palm Inc. climbed as much as 10 percent in Nasdaq trading on speculation that the company may be acquired and a new push by Verizon Communications Inc. to promote smartphones, including Palm devices.

There’s talk that Nokia Oyj and Motorola Inc. would be interested in buying the company, said Charlie Wolf, an analyst with Needham & Co. in New York. Verizon, meanwhile, is preparing to sell updated versions of Palm’s Pre and Pixi smartphones. The carrier revamped its calling plans to encourage more customers to buy data plans, which may make Palm devices more desirable.

“Verizon is making a consolidated bet on the number of devices they’re going to support, and Palm made the cut,” said Kevin Dede, an analyst at Jesup & Lamont in San Francisco. He has a hold rating on the shares, which he doesn’t own.

Palm added 67 cents, or 5.2 percent, to $13.51 at 2:07 p.m. New York time on the Nasdaq Stock Market. The shares climbed as high as $14.14 earlier in the session, the highest price since October. The stock has added 35 percent this year.

Derick Mains, a spokesman for Sunnyvale, California-based Palm, said the company doesn’t comment on stock moves or market speculation.

Verizon Wireless, the biggest mobile-phone carrier in the U.S., announced plans this month to sell updated versions of Palm’s Pre and Pixi. Until now, the phones have only been available through Sprint Nextel Corp. in the U.S. AT&T Inc., the country’s second-largest wireless carrier, also is adding Palm smartphones to its lineup.

Nokia, Motorola

A Palm acquisition could help competitors bolster their product lines, Wolf said.

“There are two companies out there, namely Nokia and Motorola, that are hurting,” said Wolf, who doesn’t own shares of Palm. He has a hold rating on the stock. “If they bought Palm, they would get access to a very elegant platform -- so you’re going to hear rumors like this.”

Arja Suominen, a spokeswoman for Finland’s Nokia, declined to comment, citing the company’s policy of not discussing market rumors or speculation. Jennifer Erickson, a spokeswoman for Schaumburg, Illinois-based Motorola, didn’t immediately return a call seeking comment.

Motorola dropped 8 cents, or 1 percent, to $7.63 in New York Stock Exchange trading. Nokia’s U.S. shares fell 20 cents to $13.17. Shares of Verizon Communications Inc., the co-owner of Verizon Wireless, declined 63 cents to $30.59.

To contact the reporter on this story: Mary Childs in New York at mchilds4@bloomberg.net
    Last Updated: January 15, 2010 14:15 EST
    Please NOOOOOOOOOO!
    This would only be 'slightly' good news if both of those companies agreed to simply buy the company and not actually RUN it. Personally, I don't see Elevation Partners selling right now. They just had the baby - you don't sell it off yet... Um...not a good analogy.
    i can understand Motorola, but not Nokia, Nokia has very good Maemo platform, Nokia's problem is not platform, Nokia's problem is its relationship with US carrier.

Motorola, on the other hand, has no its own platform at this stage, at least Motorola should consider license WebOS.

Acquisition might be premature as Palm seems to be on a positive track.
    I agree with the concept of Palm licensing WebOS, and wouldn't be surprised to see it happen at some point.
    Love to bump to the stock price, would really hate an aqusition though
    If the CEO of Palm would be asked off the record, my guess is that he wouldn't want to give up what has just started to fly...it is still in sight of the airport it lifted off a short time ago...so why turn around or better change the captain now whilst starting?

The potential for something cool and profitable is there it's called webOS...we know it, and they know it. It's a slick vehicle...looks sharp and works(minor adjustments needed aside).

One premium device by the end of the year and it'll fly to the moon and back safe in no time...so sell out would risk the ride to the moon...if you get the idea...
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    I think its too early in the game. Palm is doing great and has a great shot in the future. If they fix the minor issues with the Pre in the release of the Pre 2 it will be an even bigger hit than the initial Pre.

All they need to do to maintain my loyalty with a new device is increase build quality, I love my Pre but that is the only thing more I can ask from it. You do that, and I'm not going anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    i can understand Motorola, but not Nokia, Nokia has very good Maemo platform, Nokia's problem is not platform, Nokia's problem is its relationship with US carrier.

Motorola, on the other hand, has no its own platform at this stage, at least Motorola should consider license WebOS.

Acquisition might be premature as Palm seems to be on a positive track.
    Maemo isn't nearly as stable, functional, or good as WebOS is. It's not ready for consumers at all. Nokia knows this, which is why they positioned the N900 as an enthusiast device.

Nokia makes more sense as a suitor to me than Motorola (who seem to be focusing on Android and are likely making Windows Mobile 7 handsets as well). Acquiring Palm would instantly give Nokia a workable consumer operating system and allow them to abandon Maemo.

Still, I hope this doesn't happen. I think that the Pre Plus and Pixi Plus are going to absolutely explode on Verizon. Palm doesn't need a lifeline by any means. I would rather see them as a strong and independent company.
    I read quite a bit reviews of Maemo and N900. everybody says its great. Maemo features best mobile web experiences and very open linux community. most people think Maemo is the future of Nokia. None of the reviewers claimed Maemo on N900 to be unstable, not functional, or bad.

The comparison between Maemo and WebOS might not be easy, but there is no doubt Maemo is a great platform and Nokia needs no envy of WebOS.

Nokia didn't position N900 as anything specifically. Nokia failed in the early age of cellphone and in extremely bad relationship with US carriers, it never gets better and you see no decent smartphones from Nokia that has been pushed by any US carrier, users generally need to pay full price to get Nokia smartphones.
    This may sound outlandish, but my friend in Business world says Apply buying Palm would be a strategy/contender as well. The reason being, Apple could end webOS so iPhone thrives. Also, since Apple lost some of their key players, they could get them back this way. Almost as if those key players "wanted" to be bought back by Apple.

I thought this was weird at first but i'm not throwing it out of the possibilities. But Nokia is my bet...they want a recognizable hand in the Smartphone business.
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    Quote Originally Posted by RanGT View Post
    This may sound outlandish, but my friend in Business world says Apply buying Palm would be a strategy/contender as well. The reason being, Apple could end webOS so iPhone thrives. Also, since Apple lost some of their key players, they could get them back this way. Almost as if those key players "wanted" to be bought back by Apple.

I thought this was weird at first but i'm not throwing it out of the possibilities. But Nokia is my bet...they want a recognizable hand in the Smartphone business.
    Your friend in business should also know that this very "strategy" is exactly why the feds would never approve such a merger.
    the feds could easily approve it. There is meamo, andriod, wimo, and other os's out there, it wouldn't be a monoply. Expesially since apple does not currently have a single cdma device. Remember the iphone is gsm and that constitutes a different technology altogether.
    Palm prē-ist.