1.    #1  
    I've encountered a problem I'd like to inquire the group about. I enjoy reading prior to going to bed at night. I prefer opening up the book and reading with the lid down and backlight on. I have the Treo set to auto shut down in 3 minutes with no activity. With the lid up I can scroll through whatever book I'm reading and everything's great. It will stay up as long as I'm moving along through the book. However, with the lid closed, the Treo shuts down regardless of what I'm doing after about a minute. I find this frustrating. Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Up the Creek.... Try the River!
    www.riverontheweb.com

Moblog: bluefrog.textamerica.com
    I think that the treo has some sort of other auto shutoff system call that has to do with the lid or the phone. it screws with things like OnCradleOn (causing a banshee wail, or so I hear), and with AlwaysOn, it causes the thing to turn off immediately, no matter what, excepting a warm or hard reset.

IOW, I think you may be SOL on this one.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    I think that the treo has some sort of other auto shutoff system call that has to do with the lid or the phone. it screws with things like OnCradleOn (causing a banshee wail, or so I hear), and with AlwaysOn, it causes the thing to turn off immediately, no matter what, excepting a warm or hard reset.

IOW, I think you may be SOL on this one.
    I figured as much. Here's hoping that someone else will have a suggestion or a forthcoming hack that can address this. I do have the phone turned off when I'm reading as it's usually quite late. Thanks Dietrich!
    Up the Creek.... Try the River!
    www.riverontheweb.com

Moblog: bluefrog.textamerica.com
    I can't offer any proof other than observation, but I'm fairly certain these are battery saving measures. If it could stay on with the lid down by the jog dial being held down, you'd have to have hacks to force it to shut off, much like the "StayOff" hacks for the Palm V and Vx. I find it annoying at times as well and look forward to a hack that allows us to alter the delay before power off while the cover is closed, but I think it's a good decision on HandSpring's part for doing it this way. Given the relatively short battery life compared to other phones, imagine how pissed people would be if their Treo's kept dying just because the jog wheel was pressed in their pocket or purse?
    Regardless it's annoying that there's no way to set the auto-off time while the lid is closed, it has many times turned off before I was done reading whatever it is I might be checking on through the lid. There needs to be a second time in prefs.