1.    #1  
    It just occurred to me: What's to stop you from buying a Treo from HS with a service plan (say VoiceStream), activating it when you get it, then canceling the plan while you are still within the 72 hr grace period? Nothing says that you have to return the Treo simply because you cancelled your plan.
    Well, VoiceStream may let Handspring know your little plot, and then you find a 200 dollar bill in the mail (the bad kind, not the good kind of bill)
    Indeed, I believe this is the case. I remember when I first bought my visorphone (yes, one of the saps who actually paid money for the device), the 'fine print' very clearly stated that should service be cancelled prior to the expiration of the service contract, handspring would "recapture" the deduction directly from the customer. that is, it would send you a bill, or charge your credit card, or whatever, for the difference in price between the subsidized and unsubsidized cost. the carriers and handspring do, in fact, talk to each other.

Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    Well, VoiceStream may let Handspring know your little plot, and then you find a 200 dollar bill in the mail (the bad kind, not the good kind of bill)
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by hyperenough
    <snip> the carriers and handspring do, in fact, talk to each other.

If HS and VS actually talked to each other, they would probably have figured out who's responsible for the stupid echo problem and how to solve it by now
    If HS and VS actually talked to each other, they would probably have figured out who's responsible for the stupid echo problem and how to solve it by now
    But don't we have enough evidence that the echo problem is indeed definitely a Treo hardware problem?

1. No echo with the same SIM chip, in the same location, w/same carrier, in a VisorPhone
    2. No echo with the earbud
    3. dietrichbohn mentioned that his 3rd Treo finally didn't echo.

btw, the echo I'm talking about is when the person on the other end says they can hear themselves.

Am I missing some facts?
    Originally posted by AbortRetryFail?
    3. dietrichbohn mentioned that his 3rd Treo finally didn't echo.
    NONE of my treos EVER echoed. I wonder if there is not so much a bug, but some sort of misconfiguration..
    Also re: echo, this may sound stupid, but is perhaps that some people have the volume of the speaker too loud, such that it is getting picked up by the microphone, and that's what causes the echo?

That used to happen to me occasionally with my visorphone, where if i had the speaker volume turned too high in a quiet room, the person would sometimes claim they could hear themselves. Problem would go away when i turned down the speaker volume.

I don't mean that to be a condescending-type question, i'm just legitimately curious. It would also explain why the echo symptoms don't seem to appear for people when they use the earpiece.

Originally posted by dietrichbohn

NONE of my treos EVER echoed. I wonder if there is not so much a bug, but some sort of misconfiguration..
    Thanks for the clarification dietrichbohn - I guess you had other issues...

....is perhaps that some people have the volume of the speaker too loud, such that it is getting picked up by the microphone, and that's what causes the echo?
    Trust me, the first time it happened, the first thing I did was to turn down the volume all the way to see if that helps. It doesn't.

My echo experience from the last 2 Treos (1st & 2nd gen.):

1) service=cingualr
    2) Does not occur during speaker-phone use
    3) Does not occur during earbud use
    4) Only occurs during handheld use
    5) Objects near me do not affect echo
    6) Position of phone relative to my head does not help
    6) Happens with strong or weak signal
    7) Occurs throughout SF bay area
    8) Echo is only heard by person on other end of phone
    9. Has never occured with my VP

I like the misconfiguration idea - as though the mechanism that limits echo during speakerphone operation is somehow fowling up when it's not in speakerphone mode?? Over/under-compensating???

Sorry to harp on this, but I'm concerned that this could be a deal killer for me.