1.    #1  
    Does anyone on VoiceStream know how to use the SMS capabilties of the Treo to send or receive instant messages with AIM or ICQ users?
    voicestream has lots of documentation about how to set up a mobile AIM account.

once you get through that, you can try this program called QuickChat which seems to work pretty well with treo, which tries to hide some of the more annoying things about doing aim with sms by providing an alternate interface. go to palmgear.com and search on quick chat.

Originally posted by hesspaul
    Does anyone on VoiceStream know how to use the SMS capabilties of the Treo to send or receive instant messages with AIM or ICQ users?
    I decided to go on the cheap with AOL and SMS, I just use the standard app. It actually works pretty well. Just send an SMS to 4600 with your username and PW. Then send a blank (or a 1-space) SMS to 4653. This then sends all of the AIM numbers to your phone and I think automatically adds them to your SIM. One of the numbers it sends you is 4650, which sends a list of all the numbers associated with your buddies. I just added them to my speed-dial list with their assoc. numbers, transferred them to the SIM, and deleted them off my speeddial. IOW, I login, and then I switch to the SIM Book app and tap the person I want to send to, hit the SMS button, and away you go!
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    Just send an SMS to 4600 with your username and PW. Then send a blank (or a 1-space) SMS to 4653. This then sends all of the AIM numbers to your phone and I think automatically adds them to your SIM. One of the numbers it sends you is 4650, which sends a list of all the numbers associated with your buddies. I just added them to my speed-dial list with their assoc. numbers, transferred them to the SIM, and deleted them off my speeddial. IOW, I login, and then I switch to the SIM Book app and tap the person I want to send to, hit the SMS button, and away you go!
    I want to party with this guy

Where did you find all this stuff?? You need to find yourself a nice start-up, make some money and quit hanging around here. I wish you were with Cingular... I could use more of these tips.

Rod
    "Happy are they whose sins are forgiven, whose wrongs are pardoned"

Romans 4:7
    Originally posted by Veloslave
    I want to party with this guy

Gimme a ring when you're in MN. All I've got here is Miradu, and he's underage

Where did you find all this stuff?? You need to find yourself a nice start-up, make some money and quit hanging around here. I wish you were with Cingular... I could use more of these tips
    Well, I had to pretend that I was trying to set things up for a phone that voicestream actually supports. I just chose the oldest phone I could find--so that it would provide me with SMS-only instructions without any other fancy features. Works well. Not as well as quickbuddy, but IMO faster and of course cheaper. QB seems VERY slow to me.
    Do you mean "quickbuddy" or "quickchat"?

I've never heard of quickbuddy.

anyway if you mean quickchat, what specifically do you think is slow about it? everything works very smoothly for me.
    Originally posted by hyperenough
    Do you mean "quickbuddy" or "quickchat"?

I've never heard of quickbuddy.

anyway if you mean quickchat, what specifically do you think is slow about it? everything works very smoothly for me.
    er, I meant quickchat.

I was finding delays all over the place, and it got very annoying. Maybe it was just because I was demo'ing the unregistered version.
    Just in case anyone is looking for the URL, like I was, here it is: http://www.voicestream.com/myvoicest...im/default.asp

BUT - there's no information on the Treo line at all on their site. So, I picked the Ericsson i888 Phone and followed the login instructions. They are the same as what's listed in this thread, but just an FYI
    Last edited by mashby; 04/11/2002 at 01:06 PM.
    QuickChat is extreamly annoying; I bought it just because I was leaving for Europe and didn't have time to learn everything.
    -- Go Illini!
    Voicestream has all the lovely documentation. Any word on whether Cingular do or plan to support this feature?

-Col
  11.    #11  
    Originally posted by chrisfoster
    QuickChat is extreamly annoying; I bought it just because I was leaving for Europe and didn't have time to learn everything.
    I've found QuickChat to be very nice. It's a great way of separating out any chat messages from other SMS messages and alerts I receive, and keeping a chat log. Note that YMMV because I am a very low quantity IM user so about 1/4 of my SMS traffic is IM with the other traffic being alerts, short pages from friends, etc.
    QuickChat isn't really robust enough for heavy chating. While I must admit, it gets the job done, I just doesn't do much more then that. Plus, QuickChat crashs on a regular basis.

What i'd like to see is a more conventinal AIM buddly list, and the abilty to surpress the Treo's SMS tones when your sending a message.

For some reason, I don't any messages from the AIM SMS servers telling me when a buddy signs on or off. Maybe that's suppost to be, but It looks like, and would seem like, in the screen shots that the AIM server is sending such messages.
    -- Go Illini!