1.    #1  
    All,

when writing memos with WordSmith, do any of you notice that on words that the Treo software alters (like changing a lowercase "i" into capital "I", or changing the word "thats" into "that's", etc), it places the cursor BEFORE the word that's just been altered, instead of AFTER the word (as happens in the stock included treo apps)?

I think this happened also when I was using Eudora (I've been using the TreoMail beta lately).

Very annoying.
    Since my Treo doesn't have an auto-complete feature, I can't comment on this.

What software did you install that is correcting and completing your typed text?
  3.    #3  
    As far as I know, my treo has ALWAYS done this!

It's not auto-COMPLETING anything, it's auto-correcting things, like capitalizing the word "i", and putting apostrophes when they're obviously intended (like the aforementioned "thats" and "im" (turns to 'I'm', of course), and so on.

Honestly, are you sure your treo doesn't do this? I'll have to investigate further if not...

Originally posted by GregGaub
    Since my Treo doesn't have an auto-complete feature, I can't comment on this.

What software did you install that is correcting and completing your typed text?
    Whoa! That's really cool!
    I never noticed because I'm always real careful to get those things right the first time. Wow. That's super cool. What a time saver, too!

Ok, so about that feature in Wordsmith... Well, I don't have Wordsmith on my Treo, but I do have QuickWord. You'll be unhappy to know that the corrections to work AT ALL in Quickword. I'm guessing this has to do with the way these 3rd party applications are working around some of the text editing limitation of the PalmOS. Remember when doc editors were new? You couldn't edit a word in the middle of your document without waiting five minutes for it to move the second half of the document down the appropriate number of new characters... Anyway...

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that it's not compatible with 3rd party editors unless you're lucky. Your best bet is to contact the developer (Blue Nomad, CESInc, etc.) and notify them of the lack of support. Don't call it a bug, really, since it's not so much a bug as the lack of support for a little known feature. (or maybe I just don't read enough ;-).

-Greg
    I don't have ANY word processors installed and I experienced the "id" to "I'd" thing just yesterday. Is this auto-complete thingymagig built-in for 3.5 or something?

I can't seem to turn this damn "feature" off. My co-worker was mucking with it and found out that if you type

i
    d
    [space]
    [backspace]
    [backspace]
    [space]

then it will convert your "I'd" back to id and leave you alone.
    Nothing is impossible, just mathematically improbable.

-Entrapment(Sean Connery)
    I can't seem to turn this damn "feature" off. My co-worker was mucking with it and found out that if you type

i
    d
    [space]
    [backspace]
    [backspace]
    [space]

then it will convert your "I'd" back to id and leave you alone. [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip. I use the abreviation "mo" frequently and I was going a little crazy figuring out how to get around the autocomplete which changed it to "month"
    Carl
    (Treo 600) Treo 180, Visor Platinum, Visor Deluxe
    Ok, I'm lazy (I'm also sick right now, so give me a break ;-) so I don't want to look real hard for it. Does anyone know if this feature is documented anywhere? If so, where? And, is there a complete list of all the conversions it does? At first I was thinking it only does the I and apostrphe thing, but now I see it also does mo to month, and yr to year.

Thanks!
    -Greg