1.    #1  
    Does anyone know how to get a voicemail waiting indicator in the phonebook app instead of (or in addition to) the SMS message? I'm using VoiceStream in Chicago.

Thanks,
    -A
    This seems to be the only way that VoiceStream does it. sorta annoying. I suppose that it wouldn't be that hard for a developer to write a little app that intercepted the VM messages and then translated them into the little icon... the got rid of the icon when you deleted the vm messages..

..I dunno.. you may be out of luck on this one.
    What bothers me is that the SMS message doesn't contain the caller-ID info, even though (here in DC at least) the VoiceStream mail system knows the info and tells you it when you call in for the message.
    Originally posted by hesspaul
    What bothers me is that the SMS message doesn't contain the caller-ID info, even though (here in DC at least) the VoiceStream mail system knows the info and tells you it when you call in for the message.
    You have to look at your call history to get the number. I don't mind receiving an SMS when I have a call. I just wish the phone would keep reminding me that I have an incoming SMS until I opened or deleted it.
    Originally posted by heberman

You have to look at your call history to get the number. I don't mind receiving an SMS when I have a call. I just wish the phone would keep reminding me that I have an incoming SMS until I opened or deleted it.
    Will my call history show the caller if I receive voicemail when out of signal range or when the phone is off? I would expect that when I get back in range I'll receive the various SMS's but I'll have no way to know who called and how urgent it is without calling in the check the messages. If the SMS had the numbers I could know right away without calling in.
    Funny, but all the voicemail SMS notifications I got from voicestream all contained caller ID info.
    Originally posted by jwardell
    Funny, but all the voicemail SMS notifications I got from voicestream all contained caller ID info.
    Ditto.

Only exceptions being calls from unavailable numbers, or when multiple people have called and left messages while I was out of service - the SMS will usually only tell me the last number that left a message.

I have, however, had more than one occasion when people have left me voicemails and I have never received an SMS. How annoying... especially to explain to a significant other
    Originally posted by jwardell
    Here in the DC area, the SMS only says it's from "123" which is the callback number to retrieve the VM. Once I dial in to the VM system, it tells me who each VM is from before playing each message.
    Mine shows up in the format...

'Call *123 1 NEW MESSAGE 973XXXXXXX'

Most of the time anyways.

It also plays it back during voicemail playback. Very annoying since I already know.
    obscure information.
    Originally posted by hesspaul

Will my call history show the caller if I receive voicemail when out of signal range or when the phone is off?
    No.

I wish there was some way the SMS messages could be filtered through my address book so that in addition to getting the caller's phone number I also got their name.
    Originally posted by Obscure411
    Mine shows up in the format...
    'Call *123 1 NEW MESSAGE 973XXXXXXX'
    Most of the time anyways.
    Mine shows up as "123 You have one new voicemail. Dial "123" to retrieve."

Maybe it's regional. Anyone in the DC area let me know what you get.
    I live in the DC area... get the same thing you do... just the "123" and no call back number.
    I live in the DC area... get the same thing you do... just the "123" and no call back number.
    you can skip the playback of the person's number by hitting "1" again while the operator is speaking.

Yes, that was very annoying.

My SMS just says "Dial 123..." When the first rolled out the new VMail system, it did have the caller ID, now it doesn't!

I'm in the Seattle Market
    Hadn't thought of this earlier, but are VS customers charged for a SMS every time we receive notification of voicemail? Even if you have ping-pong, this could get expensive?
    Nope, VM SMS indicators do not count towards the pingpong bucket.

...neither do AIM logon/logoff SMS's.
    It is my understanding that you are not charged for voicemail SMS msgs nor for other system messages. Just for "user" SMS msgs.
    in Phoenix only 123 no caller I.D.

Voicestream says you are NOT charged for the SMS's that contain VM notifications.

I must admit, I with the majority here on how Handspring should of designed the VM waiting feature.

Jeff in PHX
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Boston area SMS messages have caller ID.
    I have Voicestream in St. Louis and all I get is an SMS. No VM indicator. It is very annoying because if I'm in a meeting I will just delete the SMS and when I get out, I forget that I have a voicemail message waiting. Apparently, however, there are some Treo Voicestream customers who are getting the indicator and the SMS. I called Voicestream to see if this could be corrected, but the person I spoke to was totally clueless.