Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I don't really care about more memory or whatever, but I would like to the center button gone and the more responsive keyboard. Will they start manufacturing sprint's pre's in that manner, or continue with the current model exactly as is?
    I would be surprised if Sprint didn't get a refreshed model, at or around the year mark.
    Because the Plus versions are exclusive to Verizon it appears there was a contract signed, in which case until that limit is up, no.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    Because the Plus versions are exclusive to Verizon it appears there was a contract signed, in which case until that limit is up, no.
    Sprint only had exclusivity for 6 months. If they do the same for Verizon, that could possibly mean the pre + at Sprint around June.

Of course, that is all speculation and wishful thinking. But, It makes sense too.
    I'm being an idealist here, but what might be nice is a post-pre/pixi phone formfactor altogether with webOS. That would sidestep conflicts with Verizon, and still reward Sprint loyalties.

I'm delusional of course, but I can dream!
    Last edited by corq; 01/08/2010 at 01:01 PM. Reason: spelling fail
  6.    #6  
    It just seems as though, if the center button has been problematic for most people or at the very least most people consider it unnecessary (although that is being debated on here), and they have made improvements in the keyboard, that they could start designing any new versions of sprint's pre in this manner, without the bump in memory or whatever exclusive to verizon...
    I left Verizon (10 years) and never looked back. Where I live and work, Sprint has fulfilled all of my expectations and IMO, have the best rates in the industry. As far as my Pre goes, it has been a solid platform for me and I am totally happy with it and will serve my fine untill Palm releases a new platform. One request for Palm, PLEASE keep the real keyboard! Yes I do think Sprint will get the new platform.
    Last edited by netwrkr9; 01/08/2010 at 01:16 PM. Reason: add more info
    I don't see why anyone really cares about what Verizon is getting. They're basically getting a Gen 1.5 phone, and by the time most of our renewals are up hopefully we'll be looking at a 2nd Gen. Even if i had to go another year after my renewal, i could easily do it with this phone, and not have any beef. So long as WebOs keeps making improvements, which it will.
    I personally think Palm shafted the early adopters, and we are the consumers that made the Pre so popular. I would consider spending 100 bucks to trade in my 1.0 to a 1.5 device. Exclusivity or not, it's kinda unfair. We were like the beta testers and fought with all the hardware and cloud problems to give Verizon a 'perfected' device. It's bogus if you think about it.

but either way, come Feb, we'll all have a device that poops on the iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by misterwilson View Post
    I personally think Palm shafted the early adopters, and we are the consumers that made the Pre so popular. I would consider spending 100 bucks to trade in my 1.0 to a 1.5 device. Exclusivity or not, it's kinda unfair. We were like the beta testers and fought with all the hardware and cloud problems to give Verizon a 'perfected' device. It's bogus if you think about it.

you wouldnt be singing that song if you were on Verizon.

what about people on AT&T who still don't know if/what/when theyre getting a WebOS phone?

what about people on Verizon who had to wait until now for a WebOS phone?

what about people on Sprint who don't have an Android 2.X device?

what about people who aren't on TMobile who want a Nexus One?

what about people who aren't on TMobile who want an HD2?

etc etc etc.

nobody got shafted. it's the evolution of technology and it moves a lot faster than it did even a year ago.

if you can't afford to keep up, then don't complain.
    Sprint 2010 line-up: leaked (Phone Arena News)

theres something about a C40 here in the new leak line-up.
    for me it's not about not being able to afford keeping up. I could do tat wasily if sprint offerred a better device. It's about availability. As far as the other situations, I can empathize, but I can't sympathize because I am not in those situations.I have hadd my pre since july, and although I am very happy with it, it would be nice to know that we had an option to upgrade if we chose. I don't know if I would jump on the 16 gigs, because I stream all my music from jome with ampache. My pre still has 5 gigs free. But I just think it's like kicking us in the crotch for us to be the first users, and for verizon to get aa device we worked so hard to get 'right'. Just my two cents.
    for me it's not about not being able to afford keeping up. I could do tat wasily if sprint offerred a better device. It's about availability. As far as the other situations, I can empathize, but I can't sympathize because I am not in those situations.I have hadd my pre since july, and although I am very happy with it, it would be nice to know that we had an option to upgrade if we chose. I don't know if I would jump on the 16 gigs, because I stream all my music from jome with ampache. My pre still has 5 gigs free. But I just think it's like kicking us in the crotch for us to be the first users, and for verizon to get aa device we worked so hard to get 'right'. Just my two cents.
    People have to understand that palm did the best they could with what they had at the time; plain and simple. There will always be something bigger and better.
    A carrier has to support their current device for 12 months. It's that simple. I work for Sprint but have very little insider knowledge. Sprint will be getting a new WebOS phone, but that is all i know. My guess is July.

I try my best to show people how amazing this device can be. I show them my "tweaked / modded" phone and they love it. unfortunately most sales reps steer them clear because of all the hardware issues.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    I'm a current Verizon customer, but I have loved the Pre since its release. I was currently in contract when it came out 6 months ago so I was unable to make the move. Now I'm out of contract and Verizon has to go and put out a slightly updated Pre+.......I wish Sprint was able to put out the + as I would make the move ASAP.

From the looks of it I guess I will have to wait till the Pre 2 comes out towards the middle of the year to get my Pre fix or I bought a Droid from a friend for super cheap out of contract so hopefully I can find someone to trade the Droid for a Verizon Pre+ until I can jump over to Sprint. It will save me $24/month.
    I think they should come out with new hardware for sprint because the pre and pixi plus isn't out yet and they can sail with that on verizon for about 6 months to a year.That way they will satisfy the sprint palm webos followers and still have a verizon following.

Why are you surprised? Buyers of first gen devices are basically beta testers. Look at the first gen iphone, they paid an insanely high price for a 2G device. Same with the G1, and many other first gen phones. It is just the way it is in this marketplace.
    then we the people need to change it if we don't like the way things are... Don't buy first gen devices if you do not wish to pay higher prices and essentially be beta testing.
    Sprint will get new hardware... the Pre is just going through it's normal life cycle on Sprint.

We will get new hardware at some point, I predict by years end!

The way these devices have a life span of 1 year or less.

And realize that a lot of our contracts won't give us the new model without being subsidized until at most 2 years. If they came out too soon, not that many people are going to throw $600 buck for an updated phone.

Most are going to do what I am going to do, waiting until it's time for me get the new model when it's offered by my plan at a subsidized rate. Otherwise, I can't afford it.

So if you want Sprint to quickly come out with a new model, just ask yourself if your willing to pay full price and I mean full price (that's about $600).

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

What device is _that_? What changes this month?

I have a 755p and want to move to WebOS, but not if a new device (e.g. Pixi Plus) is coming to Sprint soon.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast