1.    #1  
    I had this idea on how to effectively do push email now. In fact I at first thought this is what treoMail did till I dissappointedly figured out it's nothing more than any other email client.

A remote server service (like TreoMail) checks your mailbox regularly for new mail. If a new mail is received, an SMS is automatically sent to your Treo. A palm app on the treo picks up this SMS and automatically goes online and downloads the new email!

Or for that matter the SMS could contain the subject/beginning of the mail, and you could choose whether to dismiss it or dial up and receive the whole thing.

Any of you developers feel like taking a stab at this? Those of you at handspring should maybe put this into TreoMail, since it currently provides nothing more than many other free palm apps, even tho you will be charging a service fee.
    Yahoo (and I believe hotmail) can automatically send you an SMS alert with the beginnings of email. Almost as good...
    This is what basejet does - the only issue I have with basejet is it requires dialup via RAS into my network, vs. having a treomail-style internet service that is "firewall friendly".

Yeah, in fact I'm currently using Cingular's Xpress Mail - which provides a corporate connection to my Exchange server. It's not a sync-solution - you read and reply online - but it works very well on the treo. The only think it's lacking is the SMS notification. Which you can do crudely via Exchange rules - but I'd also like a user configurable "send me an SMS summary every 30 minutes of the subjects and senders for email I've received" kinda thing - so I know when it's worth dialing up, and without getting one SMS for every (non-urgent) email...

Paul
    Do any of the handheld mail clients (Eudora, e.g.) support checking every X mintues for mail?

Then, isn't GPRS going to be the push solution?

Well, not technically push, but enough throughput/bytes to make
    it practical.

Anyway, does anybody know when VoiceStream is planning to roll this out in the NE? (Not that it's going to help me with my VisorPhone.)
    I don't see an option in Eudora to check mail on a schedule.

I'm kinda dissapointed with Eudora. I just installed the mail conduit, so it syncs up with outlook express on my desktop. I thought this would be great - now, if I haven't checked my email with my treo for a week, it would only have to download the messages I recieved since the last time I synched - since all the messages that outlook express had received were sent to the treo when I synched.

What actually happened? Eudora on the treo downloaded *all* the messages that it hadn't yet downloaded. I ended up with two copies of everything that had been synched from outlook express. What kind of design is that?

Am I doing something wrong, or am I just trying to push this thing too hard?
    Originally posted by Paul Penny
    This is what basejet does - the only issue I have with basejet is it requires dialup via RAS into my network, vs. having a treomail-style internet service that is "firewall friendly".

Paul
    BaseJet now works well thru a firewall. I'm running the 6/17 beta on my corporate Outlook/Exchange thru a firewall. No firewall issues. It's all over port 80.
    Originally posted by imuffin
    I don't see an option in Eudora to check mail on a schedule.
    That's because you didn't look far enough. Get Macroplay, from http://xvisionnow.tripod.com and install the hackmaster hack. You can perform any number of pen-taps with it and record your actions.

I had a macro that opened Eudora and checked all my accounts. I then scheduled the macro to activate every 30 minutes automatically. If I happened to be talking, Eudora was polite enough to not knock me offline (the macro failed in those cases). Otherwise, I would turn on the treo screen to see the Eudora mail pass results screen already there telling me I had new mail.

Try it - you'll like it. I now have the same setup on my PocketPC linked to my Motorola 270C (via Bluetooth) - except the built-in mail program handles all the email checking automatically, so no macros required (currently checks every 15 minutes).

Kupe
    Originally posted by Kupe

That's because you didn't look far enough. Get Macroplay, from http://xvisionnow.tripod.com and install the hackmaster hack. You can perform any number of pen-taps with it and record your actions.

Kupe
    Wow $25 after July 31st. $15 until then.

Hmmm.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Originally posted by septimus
    Yahoo (and I believe hotmail) can automatically send you an SMS alert with the beginnings of email. Almost as good...
    I just looked all through Yahoo. I don't seem to be able to find an option to have an SMS message sent when email is received. Can you be more specific about how this works?
    First set up your mobile device through the alerts section of Yahoo mobile. Then set up a filter in Yahoo mail to notify your mobile device. Done and done. :-)