1.    #1  
    Okay, now that we will be offered a choice between GSM and CDMA versions of the Treo 270, which protocol offers the best features?

I know that CDMA is more widely used in the US and GSM can be used aboard. But what about other issues?

Internet speed? It sounds like 3G CDMA is faster than GSM/GPRS.
    SMS protocol? Does Sprint PCS support this feature or is it GSM only?

Thanks!
    CDMA is a pretty good rival to GSM but it has little international roaming ability. CDMA phones on Sprint tend are generally 1900MHz phones. Verizon use 800MHz. I think both companies also use dual-band phones and have sharing agreements for each others networks. The cool thing about parts of Verizons network (with roaming for Sprint) is that it works underground where there are metro repeaters in the tunnels.

CDMA does not have SMS. They only have inbound messaging. This will soon change but will probably be still not allow GSM to talk with CDMA. CDMA phones tend to be pretty good on coverage and sound quality - you have probably seen the ads for Verizon where they allow you to take the phone back after 15 days if you are unhappy. That is confidence!

1xRTT and GPRS are worth comparing too - both technologies offer various good things and bad things. The key common factor is that neither technology will offer data and voice at the same time. 3G kindof promises this in the Marketing way of looking at things. Until your phone has two radios, this will not be possible. The coolest thing possible today with voice and data is only possible on VisorPhone and Treo - voice and SMS at the same time. It will be several years before we see a phone tha can be on the net or using your Siebel app and voice at the same time.

GPRS has upload and download channels for data - just like a cable modem. The upload channel is often slower than the download- i.e. you get the pages faster coming in but sending is slower. Each GPRS phone is designated with number of uploadand download channels as a fixed capacity. Also at the cell tower end of things, I believe it will be possible for the network to dial up and down the speeds they make available to GPRS. So even if your phone is capable of hight data speeds they may not make it available to you locally at a particular time. For many people the big benefit of GPRS is reliability of connection at any time. The speed difference may not be huge from the get go for people switching over from Circuit Switched data but the reliability of getting a connection is a huge plus. I see a lot of folks getting hassled with not being able to make connections at different times of the day or on parts of VoiceStreams network. I use the Cingular ISDN settings in Calif. and find it very reliable.

I dont know what will happen to the Circuit Switched folks in the future who still need to call their company RAS. Perhaps the VPS clients will get good enough on Palm OS to allow them to use the GPRS connection to their carrier who also provides an IP feed.

1xRTT looks like it will kick *** out of the gate from Sprint in the early summer time. I hear of connection speeds around 56k right off. The maximums are always marketing-speak.

I plump for GPRS personally as I travel out of the US and need the international roaming.
    What I like most about GSM- I moved from Philly (VoiceStream)
    to the Bay Area (Cingular), and I just walked into the local
    cellmart, convinced the lunk behind the counter that I knew
    what I was talking about, then just bought a new SIM.

Slipped the SIM into the back of my (now retired) VisorPhone,
    and I was ready to rock.

Similarly, my roommate has a VisorPhone and a Motorola phone.
    Depending on where he's going, he swaps the SIM between them.
    Moto for clubs & walking, Visor for work & travel.

Change hardware when you want, literally at the drop of a chip.
    If your hardware gets whacked, you're only down for as long as it takes
    to grab another one- even if it's somebody else's. I've used my
    roommate's hardware with my SIM- even had my speed dials, and
    he didn't see it on his bill.

During my coast to coast drive, I'll admit the coverage wasn't
    thick 'n handy, but I'm not umbilically connected via cell. It worked
    when I got within sight of most settled areas, including El Paso and Tuscon.

Good luck!

-G
    Impatience makes you UGLY.
    You can sell a GSM phone easyly to another people when the new version arrives. Or even sell it to people in other country were the phone is really expensive. By the way the TREO is not locked.
    I like GSM the only problem is that Voicestream offers a poor service in especific areas. But I think ATT is installing GSM in some cities.