1.    #1  
    How do I mute my voice when on a call? i searched the userguide but found nothing.

Is there an answer from such a seemingly stupid quesiton?

-greenail
    Alas, you don't.

Paul
  3.    #3  
    you mean that a phone that has virtualy limitless options, does not have a mute option????? this is outragous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You're telling me.

BTW, if anyone has a link to someplace where I can purchase a headset *that works with the treo* (4 lines) with a mute button, I'd buy it immediately.

I saw a headset with mute at a voicestream store while I was waiting for the first treos to start shipping but had heard about the software thing but alas, it does not work (plantronics)

It's definitely not a career enhancing move to join a conference call without mute. Sure lots of phone systems have some option for that, but a built-in feature will be faster and more reliable. Plus the speakphone would work better, I'm sure.
    You said you tried Plantronics.
    Was it the Plantronics In-the-Ear (M140 & M145)?

That's from www.headsets.com.

I managed to drop my Treo just right and take out the volume
    on the headset jack- now it's so quiet I can't hear it
    in a library. *sniff*

Replacement on the way...

-G
    Nope, the microphone on this one was on the cord - like on the included headset. Looking at that site, I suspect it was the M205.

I *think* the M206-N1 will work, but I'd love to hear from someone that they've gotten it to work with mute.
    All Plantronics -N1 headsets will work - jack on the treo is the same as on the 8000 series Nokias that the -N1's are designed for. I tried the one with the mic on the cord (like the original treo mic) and the sensitivity wasn't good enough. I got the "boom mic" version and it's very good.

By the way - NONE of the N1-type headsets have a mute button, best I can tell. They ALL have the button that controls call hangup & call waiting switching. I suspect the issue here is one with the way the jack works on treos and 8000 series Nokias - I suspect these phones interpret a temporary cut of the mic as the "flash" that causes a call to disconnect, etc. If that's true, then the only way to put a mute on one of these headsets is to add some actual "muting" circuitry to bypass the mic with a resistor, vs. just interrupting the mic circuit which is what I *think* happens on the 3-conductor headsets that *do* have mute (but that don't do the pushbutton call handling stuff).

Purely speculation on my part - but seems to make sense...

Paul
  8.    #8  
    I called handspring on the lack of voice mute while in a call. They told me to just put the other party on hold if i didn't want them to hear me, which set me off. After some irate comments the support rep said they were getting lots of complaints about this feature not being implemented on the phone and they "might" be working on a fix. Please contact handspring and let them know if you though your treo would have a mute function like every other phone on the market, it may accelerate the fix.

-greenail
    Ha Ha Thed rep told you that there might be a fix because they were annoyed and wanted you off the phone. There is no fix to give the Treo the ability to mute. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $itr$ $would$ $have$ $to$ $be$ $a$ $hardware$ &$quot$;$fix$&$quot$; $not$ $a$ $software$ $fix$.

Didn't you know that the Treo did not have a mute function *beforfe* you bought it? It wsn't necessarily a big secret. Dont assume anything.

Originally posted by greenail
    I called handspring on the lack of voice mute while in a call. They told me to just put the other party on hold if i didn't want them to hear me, which set me off. After some irate comments the support rep said they were getting lots of complaints about this feature not being implemented on the phone and they "might" be working on a fix. Please contact handspring and let them know if you though your treo would have a mute function like every other phone on the market, it may accelerate the fix.

-greenail