1.    #1  
    I'm on the other side of this--totally sick of peeps dismissing legitimate gripes and farewell rants rather than considering what a golden opportunity those laundry lists provide for palm to fix what's wrong with their product/os.

I am of the opinion that those who are/were heavily time-invested, perhaps even emotionally invested, in life-changing devices such as these say their farewell piece because they cared at one time. Really cared. And they now feel betrayed/disappointed/frustrated/drained/foolish/helpless/angry--a whole gambit of negative emotions.

It's the same psychology in a divorce, quitting religion, or having a lifelong friend turn on you; walking away quietly ain't gonna happen when the answers were so obvious if "they" had only listened. It's only natural to make your parting shot count since it's got a chance of being noticed, PLUS it's therapeutic in a weird, improbable, "closure" sort of way.

Parting words are also an inevitable backlash to the pre-drumbeating that goes on here. In the face of harsh market realities pre-cheerleading-to-the-death is pitiful and sometimes embarrassing to watch. You can be out front leading the orchestra all you want, ignoring everything around you, and putting in a great performance, but, if you're on the Titanic, you're still going down.

I kept hanging in, thinking Palm would make a few tweaks to bring their PalmOS customer base into the fold, or develop a killer app, pull a quarterback sneak, or throw that Hail-Mary to show the world they were a player again, but apparently that was me just wishful thinking, or perhaps the underdog-lover in me.

I've already given up on the pre, but I wonder if I'll still care enough to post a final rant when I throw away my last Treo and completely give up on Palm...
    My PDA history: ditched pre and upgraded back to the Treo 755p, Palm PRE, Treo 755p, 650, 600, TMobile Pocket PC, Visor Platinum, Kyocera Palmphone, Treo 300, Visor Silver, Ipaq H3600, Orig Handspring, and various and sundry other early iterations of PDA's.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Umm.. did you just call a cell phone/PDA a 'life changing device' and compare it to divorce/religion/losing a lifelong friend? Holy **** man.. its a $300 (Now much less) cell phone. Get a freaking GRIP. If people are as emotionally invested in their cell phones as they are with their wives/god/friends they have some SERIOUS mental problems that they should be seeking professional help on.

/Facepalm
    YA know, I've bought TV's that disappointed me, toaster ovens that burn my food and phones that don't have all of the features I like. I think about them for a bit then carry on living my life.

These posts draw me like a magnet because I'm constantly amazed at how invested people are. Dude buy a dog.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson View Post
    Umm.. did you just call a cell phone/PDA a 'life changing device' and compare it to divorce/religion/losing a lifelong friend? Holy **** man.. its a $300 (Now much less) cell phone. Get a freaking GRIP. If people are as emotionally invested in their cell phones as they are with their wives/god/friends they have some SERIOUS mental problems that they should be seeking professional help on.
    Absolutely, uequivocally, and without hesitation, I can state that pda's have been life-changing for me since the mid-nineties. Do you seriously think the hundreds of posters leaving their emotional rants were talking about their phones? If that's the reason you bought a pre or treo, more power to ya and good luck with that. Srsly.

Technology that enables one to make millions of dollars is life-changing (and in my particular business it would have been impossible using webOS). Capacity akin to having an auxilary brain is, simply, mind-blowing. Function and speed that can assist real-time thought processes are indescribable.

I've got more years of details and journal entries of my family than they have of themselves (all indexed, categorized, and completely searchable by any word, anywhere in any text-thnx palmOS).

I have a friend who wrote and published a successful book from her musings in palm memos. I have another who won a large settlement because of an impromptu palmOS voice recording in a business meeting one time. I have a relative who was once released from jail because he was able to prove his alibi via palmOS sms time stamping.

I once had a serious traffic ticket dismissed by a judge when with a palmOS photo and time stamp. I've made and saved so many tens of thousands of dollars from making web, pdf, & doc changes on-the-fly via palmOS it's ridiculous. But, trying to explain any of this to someone who sees these types of technologies as cell phones would be a collosal waste of time, so I'm done here.
    My PDA history: ditched pre and upgraded back to the Treo 755p, Palm PRE, Treo 755p, 650, 600, TMobile Pocket PC, Visor Platinum, Kyocera Palmphone, Treo 300, Visor Silver, Ipaq H3600, Orig Handspring, and various and sundry other early iterations of PDA's.
    wow ! Lol just sayin....
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Although I have no doubt palm is watching these forums occasionally to get good ideas, and I somewhat agree with the fact that we are sometimes a little too harsh on people here, the problem with farewell threads is that they are completely unproductive and lazy. And usually the people that are saying goodbye are posting their first or second post ever on the forums. If they really want to make a difference, an angry/sad/depressed/given up on palm farewell thread is much less helpful than sending that farewell/this phone sucks email to palm/sprint/bell/telcel/etc. and they might actually be able to do something with it.
    i think that the palm pre is a wonderful device, and palm was on the brink of collapse a year ago, but now it is on the number 1 and number 3 carriers
    I agree!
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    I have no problem with suggestion but a rant is a rant. The majority of the farewell post i remember went something like i'm leaving phone a because it suck and doesn't do what phone b can. When in all actuality, the real problem was they where hoping that the phone the bought was 5 times better then phone b so they could brag about it. Most of the problem that plagued early adapters have been fixed one way or another. There are still problems but most farewells don't address them most don't even adress the problem they are having with the phone.
    I would agree with the OP, except that many/most of the farewell posts are within the first 10 posts of the person, and thus it's doubtful that it's that they've invested years in Palm or this community.

It's mostly an attention-seeking, "look at me, I'm disgruntled", sort of narcissistic post.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G