Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I read that Handspring's newer units can dramatically increase your standby time. How can I tell what version my phone software is?
    This was in an earlier thread, but you would see the following applications with a revised Treo:

Phonebook 3.5H4
    CarrierExtension 1.5
    Connection 3.5H
    Digitizer 3.5H
    GSM Library 1.2
    LanugagePicker 1.0H2 (not in orig)

I swapped mine out for an earlier problem and after reading the story I realized that I hadn't had any battery issues after switching. So, it is definitely better, although I can't confirm 110 hours...
    no more d*cking around for me. I've had a minor casing issue ever since the replacement: dust was getting in the bottom. it's started to affect the down-scroll button and I called for a replacement. Hopefully, I get the 2nd generation one...
  4.    #4  
    Dang! I've got a first-generation Treo. No problems with it though. I hope Handspring figures out a fix for it, so I don't have to worry about switching. I'd rather not take a chance on any defects a replacement might bring.
    How can you find out what version of the software you have running?
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by bleeze
    How can you find out what version of the software you have running?
    Simple: When you are on the main home page, push the shortcut key (or whatever that button is called on the bottom row, right side, with the blue house). Then push "info". You will then see a list of your installed programs with their sizes. Push the "Version" button.
    Originally posted by heberman

Simple: When you are on the main home page, push the shortcut key (or whatever that button is called on the bottom row, right side, with the blue house). Then push "info". You will then see a list of your installed programs with their sizes. Push the "Version" button.

thanks
    Can someone please confirm this as a real issue? anyone else get their treo replaced, and notice a difference in standby time. My phone if left on, and out of service will be dead in like 6 hours. I would like to beable to forget to turn off wireless mode, as I have no coverage in my apartment.

The specs from the handspring webpage are as follows.

Battery Rechargeable Lithium Ion (internal)
    Up to 2.5 hours talk time
    Up to 60 hours standby time
    3-4 weeks use with wireless mode off

-greenail
    GSM phones that are out of range will suck power like there is no tommorow..unless they have some kind of hibernation mode. Replacing your phonr will not change this. Standby time refers to the time that the phone is in range but you are not using the wireless service.

Originally posted by greenail
    Can someone please confirm this as a real issue? anyone else get their treo replaced, and notice a difference in standby time. My phone if left on, and out of service will be dead in like 6 hours. I would like to beable to forget to turn off wireless mode, as I have no coverage in my apartment.

The specs from the handspring webpage are as follows.

Battery Rechargeable Lithium Ion (internal)
    Up to 2.5 hours talk time
    Up to 60 hours standby time
    3-4 weeks use with wireless mode off

-greenail
    The initial announcement suggested that HS might have a flash update.

1. Does Treo have flash ROM?
    2. Has anyone contacted HS about the update?
    Jeff
    Originally posted by PDAENVY

Nope. It would have to be a patch. I wonder, however, if this will be as effective as simply getting a new one.

Somebody did--perhaps Marcus. Don't expect anything official from them for a few weeks, if at all, IMO.
    Originally posted by PDAENVY
    The initial announcement suggested that HS might have a flash update.

1. Yes Treo *does* have Flash ROM -- 4 MB in fact. VCs review was incorrect in saying that the unit does not have anyh Flash ROM.

2, Haven't heard anything about any update. The VC news thing clearly states that Handrping does not yet have anything to distribute but is working on something.
    Originally posted by yardie
    1. Yes Treo *does* have Flash ROM -- 4 MB in fact. VCs review was incorrect in saying that the unit does not have anyh Flash ROM.

the Flash Rom is for the phone only, the actual OS resides on non-flashable ROM. I wonder if the updates are in the Flash ROM or the non-flash rom?

from here
    Q. Is the OS upgradeable?
    A. No. We do not use flash memory and therefore the OS is not upgradeable. However, Handspring continues to create its own versions of the Palm OS, some features of which are given back to Palm and incorporated later, and some that are only available in Handspring products.
    2, Haven't heard anything about any update. The VC news thing clearly states that Handrping does not yet have anything to distribute but is working on something. [/B]
    Right. If the update is in the flash for the phone (which seems likely, I'm starting to think), we can expect something, if not, well, I'm not optimistic...
    as a customer who wants always the best from his device, I feel scared of a non-upgradable one, specially if it's a brand new piece of technology.

I really hope my Treo to be upgradable, either via hardware or software.
    matro 180->270->600->650->750v->680->Pro
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn

the Flash Rom is for the phone only, the actual OS resides on non-flashable ROM. I wonder if the updates are in the Flash ROM or the non-flash rom?

Right. If the update is in the flash for the phone (which seems likely, I'm starting to think), we can expect something, if not, well, I'm not optimistic... [/B]

You are correct. The OS like every other device from Handspring cannot be upgraded. However, the phone apps can be upgraded because thay rfe in Flashable ROM like the VisorPhone. I would really be surprised if Handspring release a phone update which doesn't update the software on the Flash Memory. Patches that reside on the Tro itself and can be deleted in a hard rest is unacceptable.
    I'm holding a new treo and an old treo side by side right now. the new one may be a refurb, there is a tiny bit of wear on the spacebar.

the keyboard does, in fact, have slightly bolder letters, it's nicer. I'd post a pic, but it's not that big of a change. It came with about a 20% charge, which I also take to suggest that it may be a refurb.

New stuff:

Setup
    On a hard reset, it goes straight to the digitizer screen. new is that it gives instructions for tapping the screen on the digitizer screen, and it does so in English, French, Spanish, German, and Italian. there's also a little stylus pointing at the crosshairs, which I recall being on other PalmOS devices, but not handspring (I can't remember).

Next is the select lanaguage screen, which offers the above choices. Once you select, it there is a dialog that says "To prevent data loss, this setting must match the language selection on your desktop" so I guess no multi-lingual treos for you folk...

Finally, there's an odd bit, a screen that reads "We would like to set up your keyboard. Please find the letter "Z" on your keyboard and press the key.

It then takes you to the typical time setup dialog and then to the app launcher.

Version
    I can confirm the earlier postings about version numbers, and that the ringer screen is changed so that the checkboxes for vibration are under their respective switch settings.

On the Phone App, the "Call Preferences" is significantly beefed up. the screen offers a "Forward All calls" option, and underneath that, "If Forward all is off, forward:" and then options: "when busy" and a phone # matching VoiceMail, "Not Answered," and a phone # matching VM, and "Off/No Service" and so on. It also still has "Disable Call Waiting" and "Block outgoing caller ID"

Phone Info has the following stuff:

(Can somebody tell me what IMEI and SA mean? Do they id my phone, should I not be posting this publicly?)

Number: +1-xxx-xxx-xxxx
    IMEI: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    SA: 1001310260
    firmware Rev: 1207444

The old phone has the following for phone info:

Number: Same
    IMEi: XXXXXXXXXXXXX, but different, see below.
    Firmware Rev: 1207444

...which suprises me, I figured a difference would show up in the firmware rev. but the "SA" is new..

Everything else looks to be identical, though I will say the new one seems to find the network much faster. I'll try and come back with battery life info, but it will be anecdotal at best since I'm on spring break and won't be using it much.

I'll wait until tomorrow to mail back the old one, and will answer questions.
    Last edited by Dieter Bohn; 03/19/2002 at 12:25 PM.
    The IMEI (international mobile equipment identifier, I think...) is a serial number that is notionally unique to the phone, though in fact it could be duplicated, and with the right software can be changed on some phones.

When calls are made, the IMEI is part of the information passed across the network; in theory, that means that if a phone is stolen, and you report the loss to the network, they can block the phone from being used, even if someone puts a different SIM in it.

However, many networks don't bother, because they're greedy capitalist scum [tm], and if someone's making calls using a stolen phone, they're still making money. Other networks, however, won't allow a phone to be used unless they have the IMEI on record.

On the wireless side of the network, in fact, your phone number isn't used - the SIM number and the IMEI number are sufficient to route calls, which is how you can buy a pay as you go SIM, and call up to activate it, without knowing the phone number; typically that information can then be sent over the air using the IMEI and SIM information to update the phone's settings.

Nigel.
    thanks. fixed.
    I'm holding a new treo and an old treo side by side right now. the new one may be a refurb, there is a tiny bit of wear on the spacebar.
    Hm, I got my Treo new from Amazon last Friday and there was a slight rub/wear on the spacebar too.

Does that mean I might have gotten a refurb too?

PS. I'm running with the new Firmware, but seem to have to charge it everynight, but I did get the claimed 2.5h talk time after a full recharge...and then had to recharge it again...but 90 min for a full charge isn't that bad.

BTW, does handspring guarantee against the battery losing charge?
    Nothing is impossible, just mathematically improbable.

-Entrapment(Sean Connery)
    Originally posted by nwhitfield
    The IMEI (international mobile equipment identifier, I think...) is a serial number that is notionally unique to the phone, though in fact it could be duplicated, and with the right software can be changed on some phones. [...]
    I've seen it also listed as IME Identity, but close enough ...similar to the AMPS ESN (Electronic Serial Number).
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast