Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After preaching doom and despair, I was pleasantly surprised to find the cradle on HS's revamped site today!!!

It's here:
    http://www.handspring.com/products/C...jhtml?ID=60006

I just ordered it express using my $10 credit - I'll report in when I get it.

Paul
    Last edited by Paul Penny; 03/19/2002 at 05:20 PM.
    So have we entered a new era and can expect to see cradles treated as optional, rather than standard, PDA accessories? (Oh, I forgot -- the Treo is _not_ a PDA!)
    Fifty bucks?!? WTF?
  4.    #4  
    It's called "value pricing"

Yeah, pretty steep. But I'm a sucka.

Paul
    Why does anyone want a cradle? What's better about a cradle than a cable?
    Jeff
  6.    #6  
    I do the "sit at desk - get up and leave desk" cycle about 20 times a day. No, I don't need to see a urologist.

With this behavior pattern, the ability to ONE HANDED drop/slide a device into a cradle that holds it in an organized manner amidst the rest of my clutter is a big advantage over the two-handed plug/unplug operation with the cable - plus with the cable I feel like that cable is always somewhere I don't want it, sticking out of the front of the phone like that.

Really just a personal preference thing, I guess. But the orignial Palm Pilot got me addicted to working this way...

Paul
    I'm concerned about the long-term "survivability" of the cable. The connection is already somewhat loose, even right out of the box with a tight-fitting connector. The real problem, though, is that I keep looking at that long, rather stiff cable and thinking about how much leverage that thing actually places on the relatively weak connector.

Think about it. Over the course of a couple of years, how many times do you think you accidentally wiggle, twist, or bend that cable as it sits on your desktop attached to your Treo? On top of that, everytime you pick up your Treo with the cable attached, the cable places some torque on the connector as it drags behind. What if you're holding the Treo with the cable attached, and somehow something snags the cable and yanks it? I just don't think the female connector slot on the Treo is robust enough to handle too much of that kind of movement.

HS should have made the connection end of the cable bigger and more robust so that it immobilizes the cable at the point where it connects to the Treo. What it really needs is a sort of "mini-cradle" at the end of the cable, one that is as wide as the Treo base and sorta wraps wraps slightly up the front and back. This would alleviate any torque or movement on the connection.

Anyway, looking ahead and seeing this possible problem in the future is enough to convince me to purchase the cradle and use the standard cable while on the road with my laptop.

Jeff

<ixoye><
    Originally posted by jrsites
    I'm concerned about the long-term "survivability" of the cable. The connection is already somewhat loose, even right out of the box with a tight-fitting connector. The real problem, though, is that I keep looking at that long, rather stiff cable and thinking about how much leverage that thing actually places on the relatively weak connector.

Think about it. Over the course of a couple of years, how many times do you think you accidentally wiggle, twist, or bend that cable as it sits on your desktop attached to your Treo? On top of that, everytime you pick up your Treo with the cable attached, the cable places some torque on the connector as it drags behind. What if you're holding the Treo with the cable attached, and somehow something snags the cable and yanks it? I just don't think the female connector slot on the Treo is robust enough to handle too much of that kind of movement.

Jeff

<ixoye><
    I'm not worried about the cable. I lay my Treo flat on my desk to sync and unplug it when it's done, while the Treo is still flat. I was worried initially about stressing the connector when I push the button, but I found my natural (to me) approach of grabbing the connector with thumb and middle finger and pressing the button with the index finger doesn't move the connector at all. Also, I have a cable at home, and one at work. If one dies, I don't need to run right to the store or order Fedex delivery.

The cradle does seem expensive. It's too bad, since it seems like a decent number of people will want one. Does anyone think you'll be able to buy "Treo with Cradle" or "Treo with Cable"?
    Jeff
    My problem is that I have the habit of pressing the hotsync button when trying to unplug the cable, as if that was the cable release or something. I have wound up hotsyncing more times than I really wanted to. A cradle would solve this and keep that silly cable from flopping around on th floor where my kitties think it's a cat toy
    Also, I have a cable at home, and one at work. If one dies, I don't need to run right to the store or order Fedex delivery.
    I'm not worried about the cable going kaput, I'm worried about all that twisting and bending damaging the connector inside of the Treo. It just doesn't seem like the strongest part of the thing, yet it's subject to the most movement (other than the flip lid, the long-term "springiness" of which I have concerns about, also).

Jeff
    <ixoye><
  11. ahc
    Originally posted by karlfranz
    My problem is that I have the habit of pressing the hotsync button when trying to unplug the cable, as if that was the cable release or something. I have wound up hotsyncing more times than I really wanted to.
    I am so glad I'm not the only person who has done this... over and over...

Andy
    Anyone received a cradle yet? My status has been at "preparing order" since it first appeared for sale. It doesn't say "Temporarily Sold Out" like the other stuff did when it was gone.
  13.    #13  
    Same here.

Paul
    This is getting annoying. What gives, Handspring? Yep, mine's been on preparing order too. At least the cradle doesn't require activation with VoiceStream! HS should give me a job for my troubles.
    I had ordered the cradle as soon as it appeared on Amazon, about 3-4 weeks ago. Yesterday I got an e-mail from them updating me on my order. Estimated arrival at my door is now April 15.
    Was told by HS today that the cradle is on "backorder" While they apologize for any inconvenience, no further information is available.

Kinda makes me wonder why they'd bother to put it up on the Accessory page at all, or at least not note that it's out of stock.

Sheesh.
    Has ANYONE actually recieved one of these phantoms??

"Happy are they whose sins are forgiven, whose wrongs are pardoned"

Romans 4:7
    =======================================
    ORDER DETAILS

The following items HAVE BEEN SHIPPED to date:

Treo USB Charging Cradle
    (3122NA ) 1 @ $ 39.99

Item SubTotal: $ 39.99
    Shipping and Handling: $ 11.50
    Tax*: $ 2.40
    Duty**: $ 0.00
    ---------
    Total Charged to Date: $ 53.89

The following items are STILL OUTSTANDING on your order:

Treo Car Lighter Adapter
    (3125WW ) 1 @ $ 29.99

Item SubTotal: $ 29.99
    Shipping and Handling: $ 0.00
    Tax*: $ 1.80
    Duty**: $ 0.00
    ---------
    Total to be charged on Outstanding Items: $ 31.79

ORDER TOTAL: $ 85.68

According to Airborne's web site, I should have it this afternoon :-)
    obscure information.
    Just checked my order, and it's showing as shipped last night. According to tracking info, it should arrive this morning. I ordered on the 18th.

jsjsjs
  20.    #20  
    I just received mine via Airborne!

* Came with a charger just like the treo (yay- now I have a "travel" one)
    * The cradle itself is pretty solid, nice rubber feet, nice viewing angle, hotsync worked, etc.
    * From one of the photos I had seen, I thought it might fold flat - that the rear support might fold into the back of the cradle. Well, it doesn't, but it's much more "solid" than it would be had they attempted that... And now I can keep my hotsync cable in my travel bag too.
    * It is possible to put in and take out one-handed, but it requires a little finesse - it's definitely not a "drop in, lift out" kinda proposition like my original Palm Pilot.
    * The connector is sticking up on the edge of a circuit board - I predict a lot of broken connectors on the cradle and/or the treo among more heavy-handed owners...

But overall, it beats the heck out of the snaking cable mess that was on my desk 5 minutes ago!

Paul
    Last edited by Paul Penny; 03/26/2002 at 09:12 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast