Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ordered mine from Handspring last week. It should be at my door around 2 pm today! Can't wait. It will be great to have charging now at both home and office.
    Up the Creek.... Try the River!
    www.riverontheweb.com

Moblog: bluefrog.textamerica.com
    Mine arrived today as well...about time! A lot of money to pay for a desktop charger, but it is a required accessory. Like my palm V cradle it is weighted to make it easier to pull the treo out, but because of chte connector you'd need it to be glued to an anvil! Still I can push down on the cradle with two fingers and pull up on the palm with two others and can still remove it single-handed.
    Got mine too - it's real. And quite attractive from the side.

It's also black, thus different from the metallic blue treo colour.

There's a very satisfying click to it when the Treo attaches itself to the Treo, and it is far more protective than the old Palm V cradles.
    Originally posted by jrsites
    I'm concerned about the long-term "survivability" of the cable. The connection is already somewhat loose, even right out of the box with a tight-fitting connector. The real problem, though, is that I keep looking at that long, rather stiff cable and thinking about how much leverage that thing actually places on the relatively weak connector.

Think about it. Over the course of a couple of years, how many times do you think you accidentally wiggle, twist, or bend that cable as it sits on your desktop attached to your Treo? On top of that, everytime you pick up your Treo with the cable attached, the cable places some torque on the connector as it drags behind. What if you're holding the Treo with the cable attached, and somehow something snags the cable and yanks it? I just don't think the female connector slot on the Treo is robust enough to handle too much of that kind of movement.

HS should have made the connection end of the cable bigger and more robust so that it immobilizes the cable at the point where it connects to the Treo. What it really needs is a sort of "mini-cradle" at the end of the cable, one that is as wide as the Treo base and sorta wraps wraps slightly up the front and back. This would alleviate any torque or movement on the connection.

Anyway, looking ahead and seeing this possible problem in the future is enough to convince me to purchase the cradle and use the standard cable while on the road with my laptop.

Jeff

<ixoye><
    Looks like you were right to be concerned, jrsites (and PDAENVY was wrong to be optimistic). See my thread "HotSync cable connection intermittent -- need to spring for a cradle?".
    I have had the cradle for a few months, I got it thru amazon, who had it for $10 off, so it was the same price as with the $10 off HS coupon.

I like it, but wish the angle of the cradle was slightly more upright or adjustable. I also use the cable that came with the treo (300), on my other computer.

It is very solidly built and works perfectly.
    Originally posted by ilovedessert
    I have had the cradle for a few months, I got it thru amazon, who had it for $10 off, so it was the same price as with the $10 off HS coupon.
    Which coupon was this? Was there an accessory coupon that came with the Treo or something? I don't remember this.

I like it, but wish the angle of the cradle was slightly more upright or adjustable. I also use the cable that came with the treo (300), on my other computer.

'Kay, thanks for the report.
    Originally posted by ilovedessert

I keep my cradle sitting on an empty box of Penguin Mints to keep it more upright. Works pretty well.
    Last edited by metsfan; 05/13/2003 at 11:17 AM.
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
    Originally posted by Dan Harkless
    Which coupon was this? Was there an accessory coupon that came with the Treo or something? I don't remember this.
    Im not quite sure but I believe the coupon was given to people who registered there treo on the handspring site or filled out a survey. Inturn handspring would send them a $10 coupon via email. This was a month or two ago
    Those of you who have a 300 should be careful with the cradle. It can cause the paint to chip after a while. I'm not sure if the same problem exists with the 180/270.

I've had my cradle about 5 months now and I have minor chipping, but I have read of others here having much worse luck. It doesn't bother me, but you should take care when inserting the Treo.

Regards
    Originally posted by mhm27
    Those of you who have a 300 should be careful with the cradle. It can cause the paint to chip after a while. I'm not sure if the same problem exists with the 180/270.

I've had my cradle about 5 months now and I have minor chipping, but I have read of others here having much worse luck. It doesn't bother me, but you should take care when inserting the Treo.

Regards
    Any particular technique you'd advocate when inserting it?

Lube it up?

FWIW, small bits of silver paint have come off the back of my Treo 300 onto the top of metal PC case where I lay it.
    Originally posted by ahc

I am so glad I'm not the only person who has done this... over and over...

Andy
    I hate myself doing that but I pull out the cable before it gets to talk to my laptop, and the Treo will complain that it is not connected and that's it. Can't afford to wait again :-)
    Originally posted by Bagbklyn
    Im not quite sure but I believe the coupon was given to people who registered there treo on the handspring site or filled out a survey. Inturn handspring would send them a $10 coupon via email. This was a month or two ago
    Ah, here's their offer. Yeah, you just have to register online and you get a $10 off coupon for purchases on their site. Actually, looks like the offer has being going on since 2001, not just a couple of months.

It says that for Treo 300 owners (like myself), our products were already registered when we signed up with Sprint, but we can still get the coupon by signing up for the Handspring enewsletter. Actually, that page allows you to say "no" to the subscription, but it's not clear whether you still get the coupon if you do that. (Anyone tried?)

I didn't want to take the chance that you don't get the coupon if you say "no", and then you can't re-submit the form because it'll say "this serial number has already been registered", so I subscribed, figuring I can always unsubscribe later.

I got my coupon almost immediately by email and have ordered my cradle. As soon as I get it, I'll be ready to trade in my broken-connector Treo for a new one.

Thanks a lot for mentioning ths coupon! Looks like I could have gotten the cradle for about the same price (actually slightly less, with the cheaper shipping and no sales tax) from sparco.com, but hopefully with Handspring I'll get it more quickly since I won't have to wait for it ship from Mississippi.
    Last edited by Dan Harkless; 04/06/2003 at 08:05 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12