Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Did a search and couldn't find a thread dedicated to specifically discussing the stock price... As we all know, PALM is pretty volatile and it's not always obvious what causes the price swings. This thread is to help help figure whats moving the stock and to discuss investment strategies.

To start it off...

Palm is up about 4% to 10.70 this morning based on this:
    Palm Inc. Started At Overweight By Morgan Stanley >PALM
    Monday 01/04/2010 4:44 PM ET - FW

As far as strategies go:
    I currently have a call spread on palm... bought the 12.50 January calls for 6 cents each and sold an equal amount of the $14 for 4 cents each. I'm hoping for a nice pop in the stock after CES. If not, I lose 2 cents per option on the position.
    Here is the last thread where we were discussing the Palm stock
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-shoot-me.html

I'm also expecting a post CES bump. I have done real well in the past year with Palm and I am just playing with part of my palm profits right now. I bought my last batch at 13.72. My target is 18 but I think I might lower my target depending on whats announced Thursday.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  3.    #3  
    Palm had a huge volume spike just now... and the price popped up about a quarter... anyone know what happened?
  4.    #5  
    Engadget also reporting that AT&T will have two webOS devices
    Yes these are all good things. I think the fact that Elevation Partners is still looking at Palm long term is a really good sign.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  6.    #7  
    The CES event was kind of dissappointing... the only big surprise for me was SFR (France). They didn't even mention AT&T. Hopefully Verizon has a big advertising push on it.

I'm just happy I was able to do that call spread at a net profit.
  7.    #8  
    08:01 EDT PALM theflyonthewall.com: Palm mentioned positively at RBC Capital

RBC believes Palm's comments at the Consumer Electronics Show indicate an inflection point is near given the pending distribution expansion and webOS developer push. The firm keeps an Outperform rating on the stock with a $25 price target. :theflyonthewall
    I'm not an investor, but I've read a few of the analyst reports on Palm after CES, and wow, I can't believe how many of them are missing the big picture. Everyone's focusing on the Pre Plus and Pixi Plus, with not one correctly mentioning the Plug-in Development Kit.
  9.    #10  
    i guess the news is starting to sink in... palm up 7.6%!... $12.03. My $12.50 calls might actually be worth something by expiration...lol.

Hopefully the analyst start putting out some upgrades.
  10.    #11  
    i'm so glad i held on to those $12.50 calls.. palm trading at 12.96 now.. just locked in 8300% profit!!!... lol. too bad it's not that much dollar wise, but percentage wise, that has to be a personal best. Options expire tomorrow... didn't want to risk holding one more day.
    Currently Palm is teetering around $9.99 (-$0.39)
    What is going on!?
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
  12.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by RanGT View Post
    Currently Palm is teetering around $9.99 (-$0.39)
    What is going on!?
    just bearish sentiment and the overall sell off from last week i'm guessing... i'm still holding my shares and calls and using this opportunity to load up on more calls...

If it hels put you are ease, this came out on feb 2nd...

Palm Inc. (PALM, $11.29, +$0.75, +7.12%) shares advanced after Deutsche Bank analysts raised their price target on the stock, citing strong potential for the company's wireless devices as well as a takeover possibility. Jonathan Goldberg of Deutsche Bank issued a note to clients in which he lifted his price target on the stock to $20 from $19. He said the company's webOS mobile operating system is a "scarce resource" that can drive value by attracting a large base of developers to write for it.

I don't think a take over will happen... I'd also note that the short interest (as usual) is growing and any good news could cause a squeeze. Wouldn't be surprised if there are some valuatino upgrades or reiterations at under $10 a share.
    I keep telling my brother that 1.4 release will raise stock but he says investors don't see this as enough news affect stock price. thoughts? I think with video recording, that is a feature that will help sell units.

Every time I see price go below $9.99, I think how there are apps more expensive than the stock price :-P
    ***I Twitter***

14.    #15  
    besides existing pre owners, most people will not care much about 1.4... the next big thing to move this stock will either be earnings (march), official news about the pre on at&t, analyst upgrades, or rumors of a new device. Also, that developers conference is coming up soon (i think the begining of march), I forget the exact date. That should be a note-worthy event. Right now I sold a bunch of the Feb $13 calls and bought a bunch of the march $13 calls (A Calendar strategy). I also have several of the May 7.5 and 9 calls.
  15.    #17  
    Palm is getting crushed on an analyst note that verizon sales are disappointing. *** man. Stupid verizon is advertising to people who are happy with their jitterbug phones and they expect to make sales. He says they are still on track to hit 1M phones for the quarterly results.

Anyway, the game developers conference is March 9th to 13th... i'll take the opportunity to load up on a ton of slightly out of the money calls a couple days before that.
  16.    #18  
    The short interest on the stock looking at the Jan-B data is 44%!! I'm guessing that its even higher now. Won't take much to get a squeeze going that could make this pop.

The only thing I can think of that will make this pop in the short term is an analyst upgrade or if Sprint says something on their earnings call tomorrow after hours thats good for palm. Other than that, the Game Developers Conference is the next big thing. Then earnings.
    I was talking to someone recently about Palm stock and they think Elevation Partners, Bono's Hedge Company, is running down the stock price. They are doing so because they are slowly selling there shares.

I don't know how to look up their stake in the company, but are they selling their shares slowly, or did they when it was high a couple of months back?
    ***I Twitter***

18.    #20  
    It was downgraded by Goldman Sachs... price target of $11. It's not going to 0.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast