Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    It's not looking good for shareholders, according to the Wall Street Journal

Palm Shares Plunge as Concerns Mount - WSJ.com

Let's go Palm
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I would hate for Palm to go under, but I just got my Pre yesterday and I am loving it so far. (Excepet the part where the phone gets stuck in headphone mode and only works if I squeeze both halves together, but Sprint is sending me a new one.)

Just because Palm MIGHT BE going under doesn't mean we have to stop liking our phones right? I am seriously VERY impressed with this OS, I think someone will rescue it.
    -Andre
    i really can't see how Palm can survive, especially with really powerfull phones coming this year, people will be eager to leave and pick up the Nexus One and Supersonic
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Not a financial guys, but could an equity firm (e.g. Elevation) bail them out with an investment and buy them some more time? Don't know if it would be worth it to them or not, but depending on what they have cooking, it could still pay off for them.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Should go lower. Wait til next week when Sprint announces its first android 4G phone.
    No kidding!
    Quote Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post
    Although the Quarterly looked like hell, I see a lot of long term potential no matter how you cut it.
    I'm glad your not my broker.
    Quote Originally Posted by amistak View Post
    Honestly the only reason Palm's Stock is in the hole is due to these analysts.
    Or it might have something to do with Palm not selling that many phones.
    I'm no financial wizard, but $0 is probably not a good target for a stock:

Analysts: Palm Prospects Sinking Fast | John Paczkowski | Digital Daily | AllThingsD

Abandon ship!
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by andrek View Post
    I would hate for Palm to go under, but I just got my Pre yesterday and I am loving it so far.
    Remember that the stock price has almost NOTHING to do with the day to day survival of the company. It does make it easier to take over (as the shares are cheaper), it makes it hard to raise new capital based on shares (Palm seem to have a good cash pile), and to partly pay your employees with options rather than cash (more a start-up thing) but none of these could be expected to be an immediate problem.

At some point Palm do need to get it all together or these may turn into real problems but there's not point getting all 'chicken little' about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktessner View Post
    Does buying stock today for a company who's IPO was years ago actually help them out any? Aren't you just paying your money to the guy who owned the shares before you did, not the company itself?
    Yes, that's correct. Stock prices matter for executive compensation, though, perversely enough.

As some other posters have noted, Palm will be out of money in about six months. Things do not look good. They had better be aggressively looking for a sugar daddy, although I can't see why they would find one in this climate.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Looks like it's time for me to buy more on Monday.
    If Palm doesn't announce something major next week we can almost be sure they will be gone this year.
    palm is dead. no matter how these little self appointed ****** economists on the forum try to spin. Every tech is saying palm is pretty close to dead. the analysts are yelling sell. phones arent getting sold already.

i love my pre but i feel burnt because on top of this. developer support is gonna drop off the face of the planet. even though we never had enough
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Apple had a much larger user base and an operating system. They had many millions of computers sold and had Adobe to help with dominating the graphics and multimedia areas (including music making.) Palm has nothing, unfortunately, just a nice mousetrap with no partners or solid bread and butter market.
    I did say "not in this case"...but Palm did have a customer base with Palm OS. And they also created a new OS with a great interface. They are not pushing it well enough and no carrier seems to helping them push it either. I do agree with the article on Precentral that Pre would be bigger had it come out before the droid.
    Last edited by casiouser; 03/19/2010 at 03:21 PM. Reason: forgot quotes
    Just a question....

What happens IF Palm goes under in regards to those of us who own a Pre or Pixi? Do the carriers continue to support the devices? Do they offer a move to another phone? What happens? Never been in the situation of owning a phone and the company going under. Strange feeling.
    the palm pre is the current signature device.

in my opinion, if Palm does go under, they will be bought out.

although there may be Admin changes, they will probably continue development.

us end users will probably won't notice any lac of support (however, it may be delayed support due to restructuring)
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    the palm pre is the current signature device.

in my opinion, if Palm does go under, they will be bought out.

although there may be Admin changes, they will probably continue development.

us end users will probably won't notice any lac of support (however, it may be delayed support due to restructuring)
    I agree with your analysis. webOS may still be young (and a little rough around the edges) but I believe it's a great platform. Someone would snatch it up.
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    What's cause the sudden drop today? I don't see any other major bad news coming out of Palm since the q3 results? Is it the launch of various competing android handsets at CITA?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234