1.    #1  
    Is it possible to mute a phone call with the Treo 180? (I am not asking how to "mute" the sounds of the device, this is clearly documented.)

But I cannot seem to find any instructions or User Interface to allow me to mute my call, so that the called party cannot hear me, yet I can hear them.

Almost every modern phone on the planet has this feature, including mobile phones. Am I missing something?
    Sadly Handspring missed this one - it is the only quibble I have with the Treo 180. It can be a hassle in noisy places but keeps you honest during conference calls - none of those sneaky comments while on mute and the risk of the mute button not really being on...

You can always put the other person on hold.
  3.    #3  
    Hard to believe isn't it? I just got confirmation from their help desk. There does not seem to be any definitive plan to add this feature.

I will continue to press the issue. I find it to be a necessary feature when attending a con call from the car, or while in the airport. Perhaps I should take it more easy anyway. ;-)

If I learn more, I will post it here.

Thanks so much for your post.
    Has anyone been successful finding a headset or earbud with a mute button that works with the Treo? Since the Treo uses the Nokia 33xx, 4-pole type headsets, these typically have a one-touch answer button, not a mute button.

If you try a 'universal' headset on the Treo and try and use the mute button, it will hang up the call.

Any ideas?
  5. wjs
    Why can't you just put the call on hold (instead of having a mute button)? Doesn't that accomplish the same thing?
    Bill Spencer
    Nope. A big reason people use mute is when they're on business conference calls in public places or cars - the ambient noise from the cell phone user's location is audible to all participants in the call unless you can mute except when you're speaking.

Paul
  7. wjs
    Paul - you're right of course. I wasn't thinking of conference calls, but certainly hold is not the same thing as mute. That is a big oversight.
    Bill Spencer