Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    How long has this been up?

http://www.handspring.com/services/t...cat_name=Tmail

I wonder if Visor Phone users can test it?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    It won't let me sign up - my email address was recognized as a previous handspring customer, but it keeps telling me my password is wrong (even though I had it auto-send me the correct password via email to verify, it still says my password is wrong).

Ah well. Hopefully they'll fix this sooner or later.

Originally posted by Felipe
    How long has this been up?

http://www.handspring.com/services/t...cat_name=Tmail

I wonder if Visor Phone users can test it?
    Looks like it is Treo only - they did call it Treo Mail. I'm off to set up my account....

I think this will solve the problem I saw discussed elsewhere on the board about having your email application dial up on a fixed schedule. I don't know of any other email clients that will do this.
    Looks cool, except it's not working for me (internet edition, 3rd party pop3 server - not one of handspring's pre-selections). I can send mail from TreoMail no problem, but it cannot/does not ever receive messages. I triple-checked my settings (account name, server name, password) and they are all correct. I can access the account from my desktop mail software and from one-touch and eudora on the treo, just not from TreoMail.

The service seems very nice. However, they are planning to charge some sort of recurring subscription fee to use it once it's out of beta. Yikes.

Originally posted by meta_dave
    Looks like it is Treo only - they did call it Treo Mail. I'm off to set up my account....

I think this will solve the problem I saw discussed elsewhere on the board about having your email application dial up on a fixed schedule. I don't know of any other email clients that will do this.
    I don't think I can bring myself to sign up for this, not with the potential to suck me into a subscription...

...I didn't know always-on would be subscription based
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    This service seems not to offer much to POP3 users. It may be great for corporate users but not other. I wouldn't pay a subscription fee for a service that is free from One-Touch Mail.

The only advantages that I can see is the SMS notification when you receive mail and a security feature to prevent access to your email if you lose your treo.

Since this program should not be necessary now or when GPRS becomes available it doesn't seem worth any subscription fees.
    Originally posted by josendo
    This service seems not to offer much to POP3 users. It may be great for corporate users but not other. I wouldn't pay a subscription fee for a service that is free from One-Touch Mail.
    One-Touch doesn't sync your Treo email to you Outlook at work.
    Jeff
    Correct, but what was being complained about was POP3 email access, not Exchange (Outlook) email access. Those who need corporate sync will likely be more swayed by this than POP3 users. I personally (being a POP3 user also) can't see paying more than some very small nominal fee for this, as the only thing I really would like it to do is send me an SMS a couple times a day when new email arrives so I know to check it. That's not worth very much dough to me.

I have Exchange/Outlook mail at work, but as I'm not on the go very often I have no need to access it anywhere from my desktop, so i have no use for the "corporate" edition.

Originally posted by PDAENVY

One-Touch doesn't sync your Treo email to you Outlook at work.
    Hell. I forward nearly everything to my yahoo acct, which sends me sms messages for all real emails anyway (you can, for example, not send SMS for emails that contain the words FWD and unsubscribe).

Use for me: 0.

Bring out GPRS, not silly half-steps!
    So, I read all the details, downloaded the corporate version
    since I run my own POP3 mail server, set everything up.
    I tell it to Send/Receive and I get the prompt to set up the account,
    three times in a row.

SO I go back to the site and read more. When they say
    'Data Services' they mean a dialup web access account, don't they?
    I thought data services was synonymous with SMS service.
    I guess not.

I'll be happy with SMS, I guess. Cheaper fo' sho'.

-G
    Anyone compare it to Basejet yet? www.basejet.com

This is a great wireless email solution also still in Beta. I have been using it for a few weeks. I am anxious to see what the differences are.
    I have the save problem as ggibby where the "send & receive" command just puts me back to the account login screen. I'll try basejet and see if I get some good action there.
    I was having some hassle getting the Treo Mail sign up page to accept my password even though I have bought stuff from Handspring before and had a valid password. A quick mail to webmaster@handspring.com solved the problem - they did some kind of reset on my password and I'm in.

Will post more thoughts later... initial impressions are good for the behind the firewall access to my Outlook email.
    dietrichbohn, How do you get Yahoo to send SMS notification? Thanks!
    the main reason I even WANT to use TreoMail, SMS notification, doesn't seem to be working. I turned it on last night and it hasn't sent me a single SMS saying I have a new message waiting, even though I've been getting mail repeatedly throughout the day (and yes, i leave my mail on the server, so that's not the issue).

The biggest drawback I've seen so far by FAR is that you can only configure the thing to look at one account/POP server. I have 2 accounts (home & work), but can only choose one to enable via TreoMail. grr.
    Still not getting an SMS message using Treo Mail beta when I have new mail, but am able to check the Yahoo mail without a problem. I have set up Yahoo to notify me of a new message via SMS, which seems to work well.

1) I can't quite see the benefit of using the Treo Mail over another mail program IF I am using Yahoo's feature to SMS me when I hav new mail. Comments?

2) Has anyone who has set up Treo Mail had SMS notification of new mail?

Thanks! TD
    SMS is a standard feature of GSM phone netwroks. Data services is not. You need data services to connect to the internet.

Originally posted by ggibby
    So, I read all the details, downloaded the corporate version
    since I run my own POP3 mail server, set everything up.
    I tell it to Send/Receive and I get the prompt to set up the account,
    three times in a row.

SO I go back to the site and read more. When they say
    'Data Services' they mean a dialup web access account, don't they?
    I thought data services was synonymous with SMS service.
    I guess not.

I'll be happy with SMS, I guess. Cheaper fo' sho'.

-G
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Under "Mobile Number" in Account Info I have my cell # with '11' in front. I assume I must have the second '1' for long distance. In 'Treo Mail Account Management' and 'Communicator Info' I have Alerts set to ON. The Alerts status is PENDING.
    My cell # has "+1" in front, but similar deal. I too have never received an email notification SMS. sounds like their beta isn't running on all cylinders. wonder why they rushed it out in this poor condition (loads of people unable to register properly, people not able to access their accounts at first, now no email notification service, etc.). doesn't make for good appearances.

compound this with the revelation that not all treos are created equally (and I, of course, stuck with an earlier 'less good' version), and today hasn't been a very positive treo kind of day.

Originally posted by wshwe
    Under "Mobile Number" in Account Info I have my cell # with '11' in front. I assume I must have the second '1' for long distance. In 'Treo Mail Account Management' and 'Communicator Info' I have Alerts set to ON. The Alerts status is PENDING.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast