1.    #1  
    Please help me with this question. I'm dying to buy the Treo but I've heard that Cingular and Voicestream aren't that great. Actually Voicestream is the only carrier in my area.

I've heard that eventually the Treo will be working on the first tier carriers like Sprint and AT&T.

Is that true and does anyone know when?

Also am I better off waiting until the 2nd generation comes out for the bugs to be ironed out? I should I just get one now anyway?

The wait is killing me!
    Originally posted by DavidS
    Please help me with this question. I'm dying to buy the Treo but I've heard that Cingular and Voicestream aren't that great. Actually Voicestream is the only carrier in my area.

I've heard that eventually the Treo will be working on the first tier carriers like Sprint and AT&T.

Also am I better off waiting until the 2nd generation comes out for the bugs to be ironed out? I should I just get one now anyway?

The wait is killing me!
    Where are you? I've got Voicestream in Michigan and it's been pretty solid, except maybe SMS.
    Jeff
  3.    #3  
    Actually, I'm split my time between Detroit and Chicago. But I also work in LA and Houston a lot.

I'm glad to hear you get good service in Michigan. That's reassuring.

I'm still wondering if I should wait for the 2nd generation or not though. Any thoughts there?
    I'm wondering about that too -- whether or not I should wait for the next generation. I also wonder if I should wait for the color one or if the grayscale one will be better in terms of battery life.

The wait is killing me!
    It all depends on where you are. VS's coverage area is relatively small compared to the other major carriers but they are constantly expanding. Obviously, just becuase someone has good coverage in one part of the country doesn't mean that VS coverage in your area well be of the same quality. In general, most major metropolitan areas are generally well-covered by all the major carriers (including VS) but if I were you, I'd find someone who uses VS in the areas you plan on using the Treo in the most and see what they have to say about the coverage in their area.

As far as AT&T and Sprint go, a CDMA (Sprint) version is in the works and the earliest it will be released is sometime this summer although HS will only give a "before the end of this year" comment. But rest assured, it is coming. AT&T, on the other hand, you could probably be using the Treo on their network right now since it uses a SIM card so all you would theoretically have to do would be to purchase an unactivated Treo, sign up for AT&T's GSM service, put the AT&T SIM card in the Treo, and you're all set. Of course, there could be potential complications. AT&T's GSM network is extremely limited right now and I don't know if they have roaming agreements in place with the other US GSM providers (VS & Cingular). If they don't have the roaming agreements in place, you could find yourself with a $400+ paperweight. I have also heard rumors that AT&T is or is planning on using 800mhz GSM on some portions of their network. This could be another problem since the Treo only supports 900,1800, & 1900mhz GSM.

Personally, until HS releases a color, dual-mode CDMA Treo with battery life that lasts for more than a day, I won't be purchasing one. I'm waiting on the Samsung I330...active matrix color LCD, 3G compatible, decent battery life, camera add-on, etc. Until then, I'll be enjoying my Samsung I300

Marty

The wait is killing me!
    Yeah, I am waiting too....

Anyway, I would really continue to wait

1. Wait until the 180/180g hits the stores so you can
    get the hands on experience if for no other reason.

2. People are already reproting software differences in the
    Treo 180/180g. That is, more recently shipped units have
    more up to date software.

3. Because of #2, I suspect the Treo 270, while it may have its
    own snafus relating to color, may cure some of the things
    people are complaining about on the Treo 180/g.

4. So far, the two biggest design oversights I have read about
    in the Treo 180 (and are likely to be in the Treo 270) are:
    a. inability to swap batteries
    b. no keyboard backlight on the 180

5. I want to see what Sprint does. Technically, the I330 looks
    like a better implementation of the smart phone than the
    the Treo. However, the form factor sucks of the I330 sucks.

6. Do not underestimage Sony and Bluetooth. With the new
    flip Sony flip palms, and add bluetooth add-ons to that,
    while you may have two devices, that may prove to be a
    superior solution in the long run. But the jury is out on that....

-henry
    Originally posted by hmp32

6. Do not underestimage Sony and Bluetooth. With the new
    flip Sony flip palms, and add bluetooth add-ons to that,
    while you may have two devices, that may prove to be a
    superior solution in the long run. But the jury is out on that....

-henry

The latest I have read from people that have Palm Bluetooth and phone is that it is not all it is cracked up to be. Reliability of the connection appears to be an issue and the connection is slow..not to mention the learning curve which would be too much for most Palm user who dont even know what the shortcut stroke is.