1.    #1  
    I used to have a Nextel phone, and one thing that I really liked about it was the way it notified my of voicemail. If I missed a call/suddenly had voicemail, it would make a distinctive ringing sound. It would do that every 30 seconds or so until I told it to shut up.

I really liked that 'cuz it was hard to miss. All too often with my Treo I open it to make a call and find out that someone left me a voicemail hours ago.

I wonder if it would be simple to make a software hack to do that on the Treo?
    Well, it seems as though different service providers do different things for voicemail. Cingulair makes that little vm icon appear, VoiceStrem does SMS.

SMS is nice because it pops up and won't go away until you tell it to.
    Interesting thing to remember is that many of these carriers don't have homogenous "networks" - instead they're a hodgepodge of stuff glued together as they acquired/merged other carriers over time. As a result, features are implemented differently based on geography with the same carrier. For example:

* Cingular in North Carolina sends SMS notifications, does NOT light up the little voicemail symbol.
    * Cingular uses different message center numbers depending on where in the country you're located.

So always beware blanket statements like "Cingular does X" or "Voicestream does Y" - always caveat with geography.

Just trying to reduce mass confusion...

Paul
    Originally posted by Paul Penny
    As a result, features are implemented differently based on geography with the same carrier. For example:
    So always beware blanket statements like "Cingular does X" or "Voicestream does Y" - always caveat with geography.

Just trying to reduce mass confusion...
    Wow, I didn't realize that.

Voicestream uses SMS only in MN, I guess, who knows what they do elsewhere...

...sheesh, even when it homogenic, the US is still heterogenic...
    SMS for voicemail in MA as well (with voicestream)
    Voicestream does sms for voicemail in Chicago.
    Voicestream SMS for voicemail in NYC likewise.