Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I love my Treo, but today in a business meeting I used up the battery looking up info on the internet..bad news...could not even use the phone.

Question: Has anyone opened up the Treo case and seen how the battery is mounted and what it might take to replace it ones self? I am afraid that not being able to have a replaceable spare battery is going to become a serious problem with the Treo!

Stan
    Originally posted by Stan
    I love my Treo, but today in a business meeting I used up the battery looking up info on the internet..bad news...could not even use the phone.

Question: Has anyone opened up the Treo case and seen how the battery is mounted and what it might take to replace it ones self? I am afraid that not being able to have a replaceable spare battery is going to become a serious problem with the Treo!
    Someone will probably come out with an emergency charger for Treo.
    Jeff
  3.    #3  
    I presume that you mean a battery powered "charger". In other words what I was thinking of along the same line would be an external battery that you could plug into the charger jack at the bottom.

Stan
    Wait a minute - you mean you can't buy a spare and swap batteries on a Treo? That's an odd - and poor - design choice.
    Originally posted by VTL
    Wait a minute - you mean you can't buy a spare and swap batteries on a Treo? That's an odd - and poor - design choice.
    yes and yes. and in case anybody's thinking about taking it apart, don't. I read somewhere on the boards that putting it back together in the exact same way is well nigh impossible, and HS will know you played the void the warranty game...
    it's really had to believe. I'm using Treo since almost three weeks and recently it begins to make battery off in 1 day only and sometimes less than 1 day...
    matro 180->270->600->650->750v->680->Pro
    I presume that you mean a battery powered "charger". In other words what I was thinking of along the same line would be an external battery that you could plug into the charger jack at the bottom.

Stan
    Exactly, Stan. These already exist for other phones and other handhelds.
    Jeff
  8.    #8  
    Jeff,

Thanks for the info. Do you have any idea where to look on the net for such a device? Also, any idea what battery company might the most likely to come out with a replacement for the Treo battery jsut in case we figure out how to open the case without voiding the warrantee. (I was just about to opent he case myself and take a look around when I saw the posting about not doing that!

We need a fix!

Stan
    Do you have any idea where to look on the net for such a device?
    http://www.talestuff.com/ sells several for Prism and Edge. I just sent them an email asking about Treo.
    Jeff
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    I've disassembled my treo specifically to check out the battery. It appears to be replaceable, but taking the back cover off would be a hassell. I'm pondering adding an external connector for changing the battery from the outside of the case.

Here's the data from the label on the battery of my Treo.

It's a Lion manufactured by Melcotec Co. LTD
    3.7 Volts
    P/n hnd14-0019-02

I've got pics of the internals and the battery. I'll try to post them here if they will fit.
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Treo Photos
    Photo 1
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Treo Photo's
    Close up on the battery
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Treo Photo's

Behind the keyboard and the LCD Screen.
    Originally posted by jberger
    Treo Photo's

Behind the keyboard and the LCD Screen.
    No warranty for you mister. :-)
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    i emailed http://www.talestuff.com/ and they said they would have a charger kit as soon as the connectors for the treo are available.

-greenail
    Originally posted by greenail
    i emailed http://www.talestuff.com/ and they said they would have a charger kit as soon as the connectors for the treo are available.
    Sweet! What would be ideal is if it somehow snapped in and wasn't a cord + battery pack...

...Thanks so much for opening the thing up. I am frustrated that the battery is just sitting there up against the backside of the treo... looks like it wouldn't have been too difficult for Handspring to have made it replaceable... a fraction of an inch in size woulda done it. ah, well.
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    One more thing (i promise, not more pics).
    If you look at the first pic, you notice the area labeled:WISMO3 1900/900. This appears to be the chipset for the air interfaces, in this case the GMS 1900/900 interface. The chipset is socket based, so I would assume they have designed a modular system to ease the manufacturing process. Using the same base system and changing only the socket based chipset for the different air interfaces (GSM, CDMA, TDMA). Kinda makes me wanna hunt down the CDMA chipset and give it a try.
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn

Sweet! What would be ideal is if it somehow snapped in and wasn't a cord + battery pack...

...Thanks so much for opening the thing up. I am frustrated that the battery is just sitting there up against the backside of the treo... looks like it wouldn't have been too difficult for Handspring to have made it replaceable... a fraction of an inch in size woulda done it. ah, well.
    Maybe Handspring or someone else would design a backcover that would make the battery user replaceable. that would be nice.
    When I ordered my replacement Treo on Monday (and it just arrived) they gave me a questionaire that had ALL the right questions... would you like to see user replaceable batteries, longer battery life etc. etc?

There were plenty of questions that make me think we will see some major changes in the 270 unless it is already in the can.

My prediction is that HS will have 4-6 models of communicators available/planned within a year. I don't think they will be pumping models out like Ericson or Nokia but they would be silly not to take a little bigger bite of the pie while they have some good momentum going. IMHO

Time will tell just as the Treo and others have proven the desire for an all in one. Just makes you wonder what features we will see planned in the next couple of years.

Hi, my name is Rod and I'm a tech geek.
    "Happy are they whose sins are forgiven, whose wrongs are pardoned"

Romans 4:7
    Veloslave,

was one of those question about resolution?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast