Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I'm one of the "lucky few" who ordered his Treo on the 10th, prior to the public release. I live in Colorado, and ordered with VS service.

I'm one of a few of these customers who have not received anything, and HS can't tell us why or when. When we tell them that people are ordering the SAME PRODUCT weeks after us and getting them within days, the answer is always different, but nonetheless, we never see our Treo.

So I called today to cancel my order, and WAS TOLD I CANNOT. "The order is in the warehouse being processed for shipping".

NEVER MIND THAT IT'S BEEN THAT WAY FOR 3 WEEKS!!!!!!!!

Now I have to wait for it to show up, and go through another level of grief in cancelling my VS carrier service, and convincing someone at HS to give me a call tag to return the thing at their cost, which I'm sure won't be easy (if the last month is anything to go on).

Didn't HS learn anything from their first Visor/demand problems?

I'm a 3rd generation Visor owner who loves the company, despite the way I am treated on nearly every order. How can we get this information back to Handspring? Surely someone in California cares about this???????

Bill
    I personally don't understand how HS can say you can't cancel (although they said the same thing to me as well). I've talked to VS about this and according to them you have no contract with VS until HS calls VS to activate the account. HS doesn't do this until they are ready to ship. HS certainly CAN cancel the order because it has nothing to do with VS.
    Exactly how long do they expect people to wait? If you haven't taken delivery of the item you aren't bound by anything.
    If you want to cancel I would just refuse shipment when it arrives. And you could tell HS that and maybe they won't even send it.
    HS did not deliver on it's 3 week promise.
    I actually just called both HS and VS to try to cancel my order and reorder through Amazon. HS said that I can't "cancel" now that it's "preparing to ship." When pressed, the rep said that I could refuse shipment when it arrives. However, I'm having it shipped to my workplace, and my company's mailroom will automatically accept it. My alternative is to call them with the serial number when I get it and return it to them. I asked if I'd be charged for return shipping, and he said "yes." I said that was unacceptable, so he spoke to a supervisor and said he entered a note in my order that when I call to return it they will cover the return shipping charges.

Now, I just called VS, who said that my account with them is an "open order." I have to be sure it's cancelled in order to buy the phone/new VS service from another source, and they said that they can do that. However, I've now been on hold for 30 minutes and counting just waiting to have my order cancelled. They said that they see that I now have a sim card entered in my account, so they believe that HS already has the sim card in my phone. Do I believe them? I'm so pissed I just want HS to know that I cancelled my order with them. This is my first experience with this company, and it's killing me that I still have to give them my business to get the Treo. They seem incompetent.

I just hope I get the Treo through amazon within 1-2 weeks, but at least I'll feel a little better about getting $100 credit.
    This sure turned out to be a much bigger headache then I ever imagined. Still no word on mine - I can't believe it could possibly take them a month to get a sim card for my phone when I could go to my local VS office and get one immediately.
    Yeah, well it's killing me that when I just cancelled with VS they actually told me that I had a sim card and even told me my phone number!!! They said I had 90 days in which to call back and reactivate in the event I actually get the phone tomorrow and do want to keep it.

I know that HS has been lying about shipping it out every day I call and ask, but I've called VS before and this is the first time they've said that I had an assigned sim and phone number. It makes me think this time it's for real.

Do I place the amazon order and prepare to wait 1-2 more weeks when it finally looks like it really IS shipping today? I'm sure that will be hell to cancel as well.

This is SUCH a headache.

Sparkle, if you don't mind the aggravation, you could always call VS and see if you have an assigned number already. It probably is the best indication that it will ship soon, no?
    I'm guessing I don't have a number yet because I got the email saying mine wouldn't ship out till sometime this week. You ordered a week after me but obviously they just happen to have gotten sim cards for your area already - lucky you
    I've waited three weeks which is bad enough but I don't understand why someone like "badkins" is still waiting. I just don't comprehend how it can be so hard to get sim cards.

My one thought is that amazon probably does a much higher volume of cell phone sales - and has been doing them for awhile that they may have adequate amounts of sim cards on hand. They may also have more "pull" in getting them. I'd be surprised if you had to wait that long for a treo from them. But once you get it in your hands tomorrow(maybe even today) it may be hard to send it back

Let us know what you decide!!!
    Yeah, well, I didn't even get that email saying that mine would ship this week though!

I can't WAIT for the "escalated" customer rep to call me back again.... MUHAHAHAHAH!
    An added bit of info for those waiting for acitivated Treos: The SIM cards appear to be installed in the Treo prior to packaging - the Treo box (inside the shrinkwrap) has the device serial number AND the SIM number printed on its side. Therefore, any Treos that Amazon would get SHOULD be preloaded with their SIM cards, so those orders may be subject to the same delay. After all, amazon's site says "Usually ships in 1 to 2 weeks" - you may have the same issue with them...
    According to Handspring, their Treos were not pre-packaged with the sim cards, but were delayed because they were waiting on sim cards from VS. Thus, if Amazon gets the Treos with the sim cards in them, there might not be any delay if they have enough and aren't back ordered. No?
    Mine just showed up!
    No email or anything. I'm sure my account hasn't been activated yet...
    Welcome to round two of the fiasco...
    Originally posted by badkins

So I called today to cancel my order, and WAS TOLD I CANNOT. "The order is in the warehouse being processed for shipping".

Call your Credit Card Company and tell them the story and that you don't want to be charged by HS.

Alternatively, try with HS again and tell them that you will start a Credit Card dispute based an a quality of service/goods delivered.

-henry
    Last edited by bobdobbs; 03/11/2002 at 03:31 PM.

When I saw amazon selling the Treo for the same $399 PLUS they give you a $100 coupon for Amazon, I remembered what capitalism is for and I cancelled my order with Handspring.

I hate how HS has treated me. Lies, and more lies. HS tried to tell me that I couldn't cancel either. I insisted and they said they couldn't cancel it, but I could refuse shipment or they could put a note in my file that I treid to cancel so that I could send the treo back free of charge.

I ordered with Amazon for essentially $299. The taxes and shipping are done differntly too, saving me $145.37 TOTAL over my handspring order.

I may have to wait a bit longer (then again, I may NOT). But I DON'T have to pay more to be lied to every time I call.

I even told them, "Look, you can either give me the product I ordered, or you can give me the truth, either will make me happy."

They did neither.

Handspring even tried to scare me a little about VS charging me the $200 cancellation fee because I was cancelling "more than 72 hours after my order date". VS said they hadn't even HEARD of me from handspring and of course wouldn't charge me for a plan for which I hadn't recieved equipment.

If you could use and extra $145, and want to show Handspring that abusing their customers is NOT the way to help their fortunes, I suggest calling HS cancelling, and reordering via amazon.

I just hate how smug HS is. If Treos were available widely NO ONE would put up with this stuff. Not for $400.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I appreciate the hassle you guys have been thru with HS waiting for phones with VoiceStream contracts to arrive. I presume there was some systems glitch which delayed all the VoiceStream orders from shipping. HS should do a better job of managing the post-order process and let people know the real deal rather than leaving the order status static for a few weeks. Could do better...

This is just early days with Treo 180 and to be expected with a new product. Apple had just the same issues shipping the new iMac but it is all forgotten now. It's cool to be an early adopter but life does go on and the hardware business is unfortunately not simple.

A smug person who got his Treo early :-) at unsubsidized cost :-( but love it :-)

PS Has anyone thought of creating an app which would SMS an address book item to another Treo; AddresSMS is my suggested name...
    So I'm one of the "lucky few" who ordered his Treo on the 10th, prior to the public release. I live in Colorado, and ordered with VS service.

I'm one of a few of these customers who have not received anything, and HS can't tell us why or when. When we tell them that people are ordering the SAME PRODUCT weeks after us and getting them within days, the answer is always different, but nonetheless, we never see our Treo.

Now I have to wait for it to show up, and go through another level of grief in cancelling my VS carrier service, and convincing someone at HS to give me a call tag to return the thing at their cost, which I'm sure won't be easy (if the last month is anything to go on).

Didn't HS learn anything from their first Visor/demand problems?

I'm a 3rd generation Visor owner who loves the company, despite the way I am treated on nearly every order. How can we get this information back to Handspring? Surely someone in California cares about this???????

Bill
    That's easy, take it up with your credit card company and let them handle it. They definitely can't charge you if they haven't shipped.
    badkins ... like yourself, i'm one of the other "lucky ones" who ordered on the 10th thinking i needed to beat the rush. as many times as i've called to pester hs as to my order status i've come to this conclusion:

1. i've waited a long time for this thing to come out so a little longer won't kill me ... if i don't like it i'll just return it.

2. not trying to defend hs but vs is equally if not totally responsible for the delay. hs doesn't provide sim cards, vs does.

hs customer service now says they guarantee shipment by end of this week. vs should've predicted this kind of turnout and they obviously weren't prepared to handle the amount of people intrested in the treo.
  17.    #17  
    arkitekt,

The problem I have with this whole thing is that people that have ordered VS Treo's have been getting them - some have ordered as recently as last week and have them in-hand!!!! Mine had to have been one of the first few ordered, what happened to allocating based on when you ordered???? If that is not the way they do it, then I as a customer deserve to know - it is MY $500 until I receive something for it!!!!!!

I realize the supply problem, and have no problem with that - I DO however have a problem when people have been receiving product that ordered after I did, my CC has been charged, and NO ONE at Handspring can give me a straight answer in almost 5 weeks!!!!

I will not cut anyone slack that takes nearly $500 from me, cannot explain why I'm not receiving mine when others are, and when I ask for a return, am told I cannot.

You are perfectly within your right to wait, I should be within mine to cancel my order, BEFORE it becomes a burden on me. I do not want to have to hassle with call-tags, waiting on UPS/FedEx, etc... and given that I am the customer, I should be able to cancel an order Handspring can't seem to verify when (or in my opinion IF) it will ship.
    I'm no lawyer, but I believe a company can't charge your credit card until they can guarantee a reasonable ship date. You may want to call your CC company and see what they say.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Yeah, well, I'm going to implode. As of this morning, HS said that my order was still in the warehouse waiting to be shipped, and they didn't know when it was going out. I called VS to cancel my service and they said they'd do so, but did I know that I actually had a sim card number and phone number in my account? I checked HS's site, and it still said preparing order. I decided to hold off on placing the Amazon order until tomorrow (even though the $100 credit expires tonight). I just checked in, and HS just emailed me to say the order shipped! I clicked on the tracking number, and it says it was SHIPPED on Firday, and DELIVERED at 9:45am TODAY!!! So much for HS having a clue today when they told me it hadn't shipped yet!

However, I spoke with my mail room 3 times today checking, and I NEVER received a package. So, now starts the inquiry wth Airborn Express over who the hell this "M. LEON" person is who signed for my Treo!!! Then, if and when I ever get it, I have to reactivate VS. If I had known what a hassel this was going to be.... All I can say is that it better be worth the wait. I'm getting quite pessimistic. I swear, they should give all people who placed VS Treo orders in February a free charger for the aggravation. Or something.
    Originally posted by homer
    I'm no lawyer, but I believe a company can't charge your credit card until they can guarantee a reasonable ship date. You may want to call your CC company and see what they say.
    I am not a lawyer either I should have said call your CC company... because I think you can ask them to block a charge that was pre-authorized. I assume that HS pre-authorized the card to at least check it was a valid CC.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast