Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    In the Constitution of the US it says the the US government regulates interstate commerce and taxes between states.
    Palm is located in California. I have not found any offices for Palm of "brick and mortar" located in New York state. That being the said, why does palm charge my CC 8% sales tax for apps from the catalog?

I know that NY has been going after interstate commerce and many of these companies are taking NY to court to prove they are wronged by NY but they are only a few, the big ones like Amazon.

If Palm has an office here and I have missed it then I stand corrected. Yet, I wonder do any of you get charged tax in your state outside of California?
    I live in MA and I get charged tax when I buy from palm's app catalog, but I never thought it was a problem since so many other online stores charge tax on software downloads, such as Apple, Amazon, Direct2Drive, etc. Are there any lawyers out there that would like to weigh in on the subject?
  3.    #3  
    +1
    I mean no offence, You live in MA? Your government is like ours...out of their mind!

Calling a tax Lawyer. Anyone out there?
    Amen
    I live in California and pay no TAX... xD
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmac06 View Post
    I live in California and pay no TAX... xD
    Let me see if I understand this. You live in CA, have purchased from the App Catalog and have no tax added to your charges?
    I believe it is actually based on the developers location rather then Palm. I am not sure but i have brought Tweed (pivotallabs based in Cali & NY), Zombie invasion (Unsure) both taxed, and Newsroom wasn't taxed. So i am unsure and confused as well.
    I also get charged for tax in Arizona. I have to talk to someone from the main corporate office today about another issue so I'm going to add this to my list of questions to ask. I'll let you guys know what I find out. I' was under the impression that they can charge you tax unless they have a physical location in your state. I guess I'll find out today.
    taxed by EA in PA.
    I'm getting taxed too in IL.
    taxed for xplane in AZ, found it odd as well... Ive not seen a tax charge on anything in a long time, since most of my online monetary votes wind up going out of state..
    that's strange that some are taxed and others are not. I live in California not more the 50 miles from Palm's headquarters and I just looked over my emailed receipts from my purchased apps and I was NOT charged tax on any of them.i still had the receipts for shotgun Santa,Dictionary,Tilt GT and Paratrooper
    #1- I am charged tax in Alabama
    #2- Whether or not the tax is collected by the retailer (local or online) it is still owed by the consumer. Many states have a line on your state return where you are supposed to disclose your total of online purchases, which I am sure we all do <snicker>.
    #3- I found a website that includes info about the case law involved, I did not study it enough to truly decide if the site is biased, but it did include info that could be used by both sides (imho). The site is called the New Rules Project, I just Googled "Sales tax on online sales"
    Keith George
    Palm Pre
    Palm Tungsten T
    Palm M100
    Palm Zire
    I get taxed by Apple App Store also. Its life.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Someone tip off a greedy lawyer about a possible Class Action. If there is one (probably not) they'll do all the work for you. Then again, if it digs into Palm's pockets, that could be bad for all Pre owners in the long run.
    I live in Oregon and I don't get taxed. Oh, that's right, Oregon doesn't have a sales tax!

I live in OH and was charged 7% tax for my recent purchase of Weather Dashboard (a great app, BTW; and no, I have no connection whatsoever with the app or developer). I must say I wasn't expecting to be taxed as I never recall being taxed on the dozens of PalmOS apps I have purchased through the years.

FWIW, my first Kindle book purchase from Amazon last week was NOT taxed, nor do I recall previous print book purchases from Amazon being taxed.

ME
    Mark A. Einersen
    HTC Evo 4G w/Seidio Innocase Active Limited Edition Case < Palm Pre < Palm Pixi (wife) < Palm Treo 755p < Palm Centro (wife) < pa1mOne Treo 650 < Palm Tungsten|E (wife) < Palm Tungsten|T3 w/Sena Case < Sony Clie NR70 < Palm m505 < Palm m105 (wife) < Palm Vx < Palm Pilot Professional w/2 MB upgrade < Palm Pilot Professional < Sharp Zaurus ZR-3500 < Casio Digital Diary SF-4000 < Casio Digital Diary SF-1000
    I live in OH and was charged 7% tax for my recent purchase of Weather Dashboard (a great app, BTW; and no, I have no connection whatsoever with the app or developer). I must say I wasn't expecting to be taxed as I never recall being taxed on the dozens of PalmOS apps I have purchased through the years.

FWIW, my first Kindle book purchase from Amazon last week was NOT taxed, nor do I recall previous print book purchases from Amazon being taxed.

ME
    Mark A. Einersen
    HTC Evo 4G w/Seidio Innocase Active Limited Edition Case < Palm Pre < Palm Pixi (wife) < Palm Treo 755p < Palm Centro (wife) < pa1mOne Treo 650 < Palm Tungsten|E (wife) < Palm Tungsten|T3 w/Sena Case < Sony Clie NR70 < Palm m505 < Palm m105 (wife) < Palm Vx < Palm Pilot Professional w/2 MB upgrade < Palm Pilot Professional < Sharp Zaurus ZR-3500 < Casio Digital Diary SF-4000 < Casio Digital Diary SF-1000
    I live in Southern California and have paid no tax on either of my purchases (EA's NFSU & Zombie Invasion).
    I'm in Illinois, and this caught my attention as well, after pulling down NFSU this weekend.

Granted, it's 67 cents, but something doesn't seem right? I am never charged taxes on amazon or newegg purchases?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast