1.    #1  
    So, looking at the adapter included in the box with my treo, it's from Motorola (with their logo and everything). Presumably this is the same connector and electrical specs as one of their phones.

Does anyone know which one? I want a couple of these (home, office, travel bag) and lord knows what availability from Handspring will be like for the next month or two.
    Goo question. Do you have a motorola charger? If so, compare the amps and volts coming out of the charger to the one that came with the Treo. If you don't have one, Here's what my Motorola charger says...

Input: 100-240V ~ 50-60Hz, 0.1A
    Output: 5.9V (solid line over dotted line symbol) 400mA

Even if the numbers are the same, the worry would be if the power pins are the same for each of them. You sure wouldn't want the plug a Motorola charger into a Treo if the power from the charger goes into the sync pins of the Treo! YIKES!
    Mine's a little different, still mot branded on the back, output 5.2VDC. However the label also says the connector has a positive tip, as if it's a standard circular jack found on many electronics, and it clearly isn't, so it may be modified. I'll try it with my friend's mot phone when I get my hands on it. It would be nice to be able to use the full line of accessories available for mot phones, even if only the chargers work.
    You have to use really needlepoint accurate voltages to charge Lithium Ion batteries. The control circuit variers by battery as the amount of charge changes over the charge cycle. This makes it hard to make substitutions; you would have to determine if the charge control circuit is in the Treo or in the power adapter. My guess is that it is in the Treo but I thought I would throw out a caution here; in the knowledge that Li Ion batteries get hot and potentially burst if incorrectly charged.

Meta D.
  5.    #5  
    I figure one of two cases are true:

1) HS contracted with Motorola to make a custom power adapter for them. HS does not, however put their own logo or name on the adapter.

2) HS is pressed for time so steals the connector and power specs from motorola (who may have been involved as a parts supplier in general for various phone-specific stuff).

If it's the second, I think there's a good chance that this is the power adapter for the motoloral v.whatever phone, just in a different box. Obviously I wouldn't suggest plugging anything unknown into your treo, but if the specs on teh brick are identical, the connector is identical and both made by Motorola, I'd be willing to give it a try.
    Qualcomm at least I would bet it was...Remember Qualcomm did just buy 1 million or so shares of Handspring and motorola owns none...just a guess besides motorola makes the parts, and chips for lots of phones and pdas too but if Qualcomm is not building the phones why invest??
    Originally posted by meta_dave
    You have to use really needlepoint accurate voltages to charge Lithium Ion batteries. The control circuit variers by battery as the amount of charge changes over the charge cycle. This makes it hard to make substitutions; you would have to determine if the charge control circuit is in the Treo or in the power adapter. My guess is that it is in the Treo but I thought I would throw out a caution here; in the knowledge that Li Ion batteries get hot and potentially burst if incorrectly charged.

Meta D.
    True, but this charging circuitry is contained within the Treo. Otherwise the AC adaptor would have to monitor the battery's level and vary its output, which it does not do. Same is true with most rechargable items with internal batteries.
    I traded up from a StarTac to my Treo. When I looked at the new charger, I noticed right away that the wall-wart on both units looked identical in its markings. I was definitely the same manufacturer but I didn't check their output specs to see if they were the same. I seem to recall, however, that the usb connector on the Treo (vs. the StarTac) end was slightly different. I'll have to check again when I get home.
  9.    #9  
    It's definitely not a star tar or timeport - i have those and the connector is different as is the electrical specs. Motorola uses different connectors for different phones though, so I've been wondering if it's for a V.60 or something.

Suppose I should hit a Sprint store or something and look.