1.    #1  
    Can some help me with travel info? I'll be leaving the US and working in Tanzania for 6-7 months next year. Last time I traveled abroad was pre cell phone ubiquity so I'm not sure how to go from the US to Tanzania and maintain connectivity - cell, sms, wifi. Currently have Sprint (contract expired) and have had Palm phones for several years (treo, 650, 700, centro).

From what I have read so far I need a quad band GSM phone and should use local sim cards in the countries I visit but still a little confused.

What is the best strategy for a 6 month stay abroad? (Economical)
    Which phone?
    Where do I buy sim cards?
    Does my number change with every card?
    Should I wait to purchase a phone in country?
    How do I stay connected during the travel to and from?

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

DP
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalpeace View Post
    Can some help me with travel info? I'll be leaving the US and working in Tanzania for 6-7 months next year. Last time I traveled abroad was pre cell phone ubiquity so I'm not sure how to go from the US to Tanzania and maintain connectivity - cell, sms, wifi. Currently have Sprint (contract expired) and have had Palm phones for several years (treo, 650, 700, centro).

From what I have read so far I need a quad band GSM phone and should use local sim cards in the countries I visit but still a little confused.

Which phone?
    How do I stay connected during the travel to and from?

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

DP

I think your best strategy is to buy a used GSM phone and purchase local SIM cards. See if you can get a prepaid with data access.
    Which phone?
    If you're used to Palm OS, stick with a GSM treo 650 or 700. They should be in the $100-200 dollar range used. Check ebay.
    Sprint may be able to provide you one but the calling rates wont be worth it. It's best to get one month to month or prepaid locally.
    Yes.
    Maybe if you want a real cheap phone, but dont expect data access or the ability to use the internet/email, etc.
    How do I stay connected during the travel to and from?[/B]
    Depends on how you travel. Sprint until you leave the US, and then you're on your own. If you're going to travel through countries that have CDMA, you can enable international roaming by calling Sprint but you'll be charged at lest $1.99 a minute. Usually data is not an option.

Hope this helps a bit.