Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Has anyone had problems with echo when making a voice call? When I talk to people, they sometimes complain that they hear themselves echo back. It doesn't always occur and I never hear it.

When it's clear, they say the sound is great but the echo is annoying.

BTW, I'm talking about using the Treo up to my face (no speakerphone or headset) though it happens with speakerphone too (haven't tested it with the headset yet)

Do you think this a Treo problem or a Cingular problem?

BTW, Ringo rocks. I'm probably the only guy with Miles Davis's "So What" as my ringtone.
    Originally posted by AdamK
    Has anyone had problems with echo when making a voice call? When I talk to people, they sometimes complain that they hear themselves echo back. It doesn't always occur and I never hear it.
    I have had odd connections as well. One echo, one where all that came through on the other end was static. Both times I just called them back and it worked fine. If it's just intermittant like mine, I'd guess it's your service provider.
    Just yesterday I took a call in my car on Treo 180 in Santa Cruz. The person at the other end reported an echo for about 5 seconds and then it went away. I presume it is just local poor coverage or reflections from buildings to the cell. Generally people are amazed to hear that I am on a cell phone and not on a landline with my Cingular service. It is very clear; so I am happy.
    I think it's a device problem. It happens frequently with my Visorphone (don't have a Treo yet; waiting for color) using Voicestream, whether I'm here in NYC or out of town. but when I switch my SIM card to my little Nokia, it never happens.

It's a real problem, and makes the phone almost unusable when it happens. I'm sorry to hear the same thing happens to you on your Treo. I thought it was just a Visorphone problem.
    I never had a comment about echo with my Visorphone, but I'm starting to get questions from people on the other end about echo with my Treo. When it's working properly the sound quality of the Treo is much better, but when it's not...
    I have also been having this echo problem. I have definitely noticed this while using the speakerphone. The strange thing is that even once I take people off the speakerphone, the echo is still there. I've also had a problem with a couple calls with static noise. I'm about to try to get a new device to see if it's the hardware, otherwise it's just an annoying device bug. Do we have to pay to get a new replacement device?