Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm hoping for a pre 2 on Sprint
    I don't know about a Pre 2, I think that's a little... like a cop-out, saying their first isn't great, so here's a new one.

I would really like a full screen Palm, no physical keyboard. I consider it they way to go, and it will reduce competition between phones. If they release a Pre 2 with another vertical keyboard it could pull away from sale which could go to the Original Pre.
    [QUOTE=alex.dobeck;2094920]I don't know about a Pre 2, I think that's a little... like a cop-out, saying their first isn't great, so here's a new one.

What's wrong with that? I want to see Pre 2 and I know the pre is not the greatest thing (webOS is and it is what makes the device great). So, put me down for Pre 2 and webOS 2.
    Well Instinct and Instinct HD co exist. Iphone updates every year and they keep the lower end models around for a bit as a cheap alternative.

I hope the real announcement is a web enabled cloud service for web os- calendar, contacts, integrated TASKS and an actual NOTES APP- all that can export back to a desktop for proper backup- using industry standard file formats. Iphone mobile me is ok- but really take this to the next level because it would be a virtual desktop WITH SYNERGY. You could update a contact and link profiles from any web enabled computer- link contacts to calendar events- then invite them and they can respond via SMS or email and your calendar would be updated. Have GPS linking to the "location" field and so on. All of these advancements would then be enabled in the handset as well- but when you're near a computer- you have a robust "desktop" means to work with your handset - much like we used Agendus or Palm Desktop- this NEED is still missing from the Pre.

I'd easily pay $5 a month for this service AS LONG as they provide the means to back up files to any computer should something fail on their end.

That aside:
    I'd love a Pre 2- keep the phone approx the same size, (maybe just enlarge a bit) but remove the almost useless gesture area and leave gestures to the bottom 1/3 of the screen area. By removing the gesture area you can easily add .25 to .50 more screen size the screen should match that of the iphone, but have a small phone form factor.

I'd love a locking swivel so you can type w/ the screen in landscape mode- yeah, it'd look silly, but so many Palm users seem to hate landscape sliders so this way we both win. Keep in in portrait if you want- or flick the screen out to get a MUCH wider and easier to read viewpoint.

A bigger screen w/ an onscreen keyboard option should address the "No keyboard" mantra people- but I don't feel Palm should split their userbase into keyboard vs. none. Many iphone users at work that see my phone are attracted due to the keyboard - they insist on keeping thier blackberries because they can't type well enough on their iphone. To remove the keyboard then compares the Pre squarely with Iphone and that Palm does not want to do.

Really would like to see the OS get needed updates like landscape everything option and font size and style support. I'd love to recommend this phone to plenty of folks- but they can't READ THE SCREEN because it's all rather small. (Calendar in landscape would help a lot.

If you have a centro- the font scaling allows that TINY screen to still be readable- the PRE can't compare.
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    i would prefer they not release a new pre and just update the exsisting one and make it better. Maybe an announcement of some big apps, or the app catalog leaving beta and Palm can show us what the new and improved App Catalog will be. A nice firmware update that improves speed would also be great. I literally just got my pre and its only been out for around 6 months and the pixi just came out.
    Me. Anybody want to buy me a ticket? {Jonathan}
    Quote Originally Posted by whippingboy View Post
    Well Instinct and Instinct HD co exist. Iphone updates every year and they keep the lower end models around for a bit as a cheap alternative.

I hope the real announcement is a web enabled cloud service for web os- calendar, contacts, integrated TASKS and an actual NOTES APP- all that can export back to a desktop for proper backup- using industry standard file formats. Iphone mobile me is ok- but really take this to the next level because it would be a virtual desktop WITH SYNERGY. You could update a contact and link profiles from any web enabled computer- link contacts to calendar events- then invite them and they can respond via SMS or email and your calendar would be updated. Have GPS linking to the "location" field and so on. All of these advancements would then be enabled in the handset as well- but when you're near a computer- you have a robust "desktop" means to work with your handset - much like we used Agendus or Palm Desktop- this NEED is still missing from the Pre.

I'd easily pay $5 a month for this service AS LONG as they provide the means to back up files to any computer should something fail on their end.

That aside:
    I'd love a Pre 2- keep the phone approx the same size, (maybe just enlarge a bit) but remove the almost useless gesture area and leave gestures to the bottom 1/3 of the screen area. By removing the gesture area you can easily add .25 to .50 more screen size the screen should match that of the iphone, but have a small phone form factor.

I'd love a locking swivel so you can type w/ the screen in landscape mode- yeah, it'd look silly, but so many Palm users seem to hate landscape sliders so this way we both win. Keep in in portrait if you want- or flick the screen out to get a MUCH wider and easier to read viewpoint.

A bigger screen w/ an onscreen keyboard option should address the "No keyboard" mantra people- but I don't feel Palm should split their userbase into keyboard vs. none. Many iphone users at work that see my phone are attracted due to the keyboard - they insist on keeping thier blackberries because they can't type well enough on their iphone. To remove the keyboard then compares the Pre squarely with Iphone and that Palm does not want to do.

Really would like to see the OS get needed updates like landscape everything option and font size and style support. I'd love to recommend this phone to plenty of folks- but they can't READ THE SCREEN because it's all rather small. (Calendar in landscape would help a lot.

If you have a centro- the font scaling allows that TINY screen to still be readable- the PRE can't compare.
    How is the gesture area useless that is the weboses trackball are you freakin kidding
    one word and it starts with an "F" and ends with an "O"
    Landscape pull down keyboard, tri-led projection (it is available to make in cell phones), just a little larger screen maybe 1/2 inch. Full video and FULL integration for a computer linkup and transfer. All the other stuff is nice fluff but this would make the ultimate cell phone.

And name it Present. Pre is used. Next is Present and then Post.

The Post would have an OLCD roll out screen and keyboard.
    I too would like a slab palm device with no gesture area and a virtual keyboard.
    They won't release the next Palm Pre, but the Wifi Pixi is a shoe-in along with the US GSM Pre and Pixi.

They will announce and open beta for GPU 2.0 firmware though. The App Catalog will be out of Beta, the open-ness of Palm will open up with Palm.com installable links to apps not in the app store, and a finalized hardware level SDK.

I would like to see Palm Leap Frog Apple with some new hardware but it's way to soon to launch a Flagship device.

I would LOVE To see a resurrection of the Treo lineup though. A Pixi style device with the Pre's power. This way they can make the Treo all business, The Pre can be the cutting edge device that maybe cuts a corner or two for style over functionality, and the Pixi with the same OS but just a few notches below the Treo and Pre.

I miss my Treos... (See signature)
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    I too would like a slab palm device with no gesture area and a virtual keyboard.
    Like it or not, the Gesture area is here to stay unless palm adds a physical back button (and it think it's a great idea!) I constantly try to use gestures on my ipod Touch...

But it would be cool to see a slab device
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I would love to hear that the the Pixi WIFI for Verizon is a man-sized phone with Blackberry killing keyboard and an iPhone killing big screen.
    As much as I can dream, I am going to take the practical route.

Flash 10.1 exhibit and details
    GPU Integration
    Virtual Keyboard
    Video Recorder
    Upgraded API's
    webOS 2.0 (which will probably entail most of these features)
    Storage capacity increase for upgrade Pre
    Pixi will have wifi for Sprint
    Palm devices on other US networks

All of that should make for a nice follow-up to last years showing, and I'd be happy!
    hardware isn't the big issue - software is - they need to finish writing WebOS and give it some GPU support and copy protection for the source code of developers. And clean up some of the bugs and add the preware patches into the next release.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk View Post

I would LOVE To see a resurrection of the Treo lineup though. A Pixi style device with the Pre's power. This way they can make the Treo all business, The Pre can be the cutting edge device that maybe cuts a corner or two for style over functionality, and the Pixi with the same OS but just a few notches below the Treo and Pre.

I miss my Treos... (See signature)
    +1 on this.

I do miss my Treos. THey were "business" devices. A device between the Pre and the Pixi would be awesome. That should be achievable too. The Treos and the Pixis almost have the same kind of layout.
    A new marketing team. Love the Pre but thier ads suck.
    If you want a slab, buy an iphone, please keep the real keyboard.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    GPU, integrated contacts (ala Hero), larger body and screen (the keyboard is just a little too small) and a whole bunch of usability tweaks. Throw the bug fixes and I'm a happy camper.
    To clairify - I don't have a problem with gestures- I see a LOT wasted real estate on the phone. Even the pixi removed the useless white button and trimmed the SPACE used for the gesture area. I would love to see a small nub instead of the button and use it as a 5 way controller- this would also add benefit to games- but in the iphone era it will never happen now.

I still think a back button or touch sensitive area on the left and one on the right (similar to instinct and other phones) would be more intuitive to a LARGER non tech savvy audience and not to mention FASTER. My wife and others just "don't get" the back and forward gestures- they try it once and if they can't get it to work the 1st time, they hand the phone back to me. iphone doesn't have these useability issues.
    Swiping over the white button and getting it to register takes a LOT longer than me using my TREO ever did as well.

As far as the suggestion of bringing back a TREO- I completely disagree- - iphone does it right- SAME phone, same general functions- only perhaps camera and storage size should differentiate your price points. If you splinter your marketbase too much (Blackberry Touch vs. BB Curve vs. Tour/Bold models) you have too many OS, too many form factors and too many unique experiences for the consumer and devs won't support each product as greatly as a STANDARDIZED platform- another reason why Android is gaining so much steam lately.

I actually feel the PIXI was a huge mistake due largely to the lower screen resolution- the Centro had it right- same pixel res as the treo- but smaller screen for form factor and reduced cost. This allows all apps to be shared across the OS which is HUGE!- Instead, now we have Pixi program versions vs. Pre- We struggle as an OS competing w/ Android and iphone- but now Web OS has 2 options devs have to program for? As a dev, I'd go to the ones that had a fixed standard.

Why Palm doesn't recognize this programming hurdle is simply shortsighted.

Pixi should never have been introduced in its current format- should have had kept wifi, smaller screen, but same res, and had an exposed keyboard and released for $79MSRP. Drop the existing Pre to $129 and come out with a new Flagship Pre w/ 5MP autofocus camera, 16gb storage, 2x the screen resolution with a .5" larger screen and improved metal reinforced construction (not all plastic) and reinforced GLASS screen for $200 by this summer.

When you read those specs, by summer- it still would not be a leading edge phone- but it'd be a step to keep them competetive. The PRE other than Web OS was passed up almost at launch.

And yes- Palm does have to "keep up with the Jones' " if they're interested in doing phones AND OS rather than just licensing the OS only.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast