1.    #1  
    How upset would you Treo owners all be if something more ideal than the Treo came out?

Let me qualify that a bit since I have your attention

1. Something better will always come out... The Treo 270 we all know will come out some time this summer.

2. But, what if something from another comany came out that was better than
    how the Treo currently suits your needs came to be in the next month or two?

I leave the idea of "better" somewhat, but for example, the Kyocera QCP-6035, with its recent price drop has 3 things going for it we all have noticed are lacking in the treo:

1. The battery can be swapped out.
    2. Battery life is longer anyway.
    3. It is a dual-band phone, so as
    a phone function, (yeah, I know you
    gots to pay $$$ for analog), but if
    have to make the call, analog is better than nothing if you really need to stay in touch.4. The phone can be used as a wireless modem for a laptop right out of the box.

Now, I am not saying this makes the Kyocera a better phone than the Treo,
    nor am I saying the Treo is bettter the Kyocera (but the Treo is for the most part a better phone and it will be interesting to see a CDMA version if that happens).

The real question is, who is going to come out with something equally as useful as the Treo, but address its shorting comings, would you Treo owners be made? Particularly if it forced you to change service providers? And all of this happened in
    a month instead of 3-5 months from now?

-henry
    http://www.danger.com

The danger device is better.. and it comes out soon.

Oh well.. GPRS just isn't here yet. When that's here, the Treo will still be what i need.

I actually need the GPRS more than the phone... the phone is just a BONUS.

weee

Treo 180. ROCKS. Nothing else matters.
    Jeep CJ-7 + Empeg
  3.    #3  
    Now, that is a company worth following.....

I have heard Steve Wozniak name
    in ages out side of historical references to Apple Computing.

-henry
    hmp32 wrote:
    1. Something better will always come out... The Treo 270 we all know will come out some time this summer.

Even better: the CDMA Treo is rumored for this summer, with Handspring committing to its release by the end of the year. Color or not, it beats paying $0.15 a minute + 4.95 a month for data calls for Cingular's GSM service in So Cal.

At any rate (no pun intended), if I were in the market for a color smartphone, I'd hold out for the Nokia 9290 Communicator, which uses Symbian OS and has better productivity software out of the box.

2. But, what if something from another comany came out that was better than how the Treo currently suits your needs came to be in the next month or two?

There's always eBay . . .

have to make the call, analog is better than nothing if you really need to stay in touch.4. The phone can be used as a wireless modem for a laptop right out of the box.

The battery life on the Kyo is amazing, even by standalone cell phone standards. Every account I've read of the Treo's alleged battery life is discouraging. Sprint's coverage, which used to blow chunks, is now good enough to make analog roaming a non-issue. I've never seen the Kyo switch to analog, although it did drop calls a couple of times in Silver Lake one day.

The Kyo comes with a synch cradle. I have a USB data cable on back order to hook connect the laptop. While you don't need a Wireless Web Connection Kit, you still need a cable, so you can't use it as a wireless modem right out of the box.

Now that the Think Outside keyboard is shipping for the Kyo, the laptop can stay home.
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by Gameboy70

Even better: the CDMA Treo is rumored for this summer, with Handspring committing to its release by the end of the year. Color or not, it beats paying $0.15 a minute + 4.95 a month for data calls for Cingular's GSM service in So Cal.[\b]

At any rate (no pun intended), if I were in the market for a color smartphone, I'd hold out for the Nokia 9290 Communicator, which uses Symbian OS and has better productivity software out of the box.

I like PalmOS, but Symbian is a good little OS. And I know the non-Windows
    tools for PalmOS.... No, not just Linux.

2. But, what if something from another comany came out that was better than how the Treo currently suits your needs came to be in the next month or two?

There's always eBay . . .

The battery life on the Kyo is amazing, even by standalone cell phone standards. Every account I've read of the Treo's alleged battery life is discouraging. Sprint's coverage, which used to blow chunks, is now good enough to make analog roaming a non-issue. I've never seen the Kyo switch to analog, although it did drop calls a couple of times in Silver Lake one day.

The Kyo comes with a synch cradle. I have a USB data cable on back order to hook connect the laptop. While you don't need a Wireless Web Connection Kit, you still need a cable, so you can't use it as a wireless modem right out of the box.

Now that the Think Outside keyboard is shipping for the Kyo, the laptop can stay home.
    These are some good observations to think about the the phone....

The only disadvantage is that Sprint, unlike GSM based phones, doesn't allow me to swap phones at will

So when the big guy is just too big, I can put on the little guy....

THanks for your thoughts!

-henry
    http://www.rim.net/news/press_images_0202.shtml

I dunno, this does look pretty great. Still, Palm-OS compatibility is important. A general purpose computing device should have more capabilities.

Of course, this is another Voicestream thing which likely means 3+ weeks of "preparing order" so it's all a moot point.
    I just saw this on slashdot. Looks like it uses GPRS, as the treo will. also looks like it requires a headset like that silly motorola "phone" As soon as treo gets it firmware update, no contest.
    But at least my corporate email is already integrated with Blackberry. The odds that I'll be able to use one of these in a suppoted way with our IT department is much greater than the treo. Even if Handspring releases the exchange integration software, they still need to sell it to your particular company.

If my treo ever arrives and lives up to expectations, it will be my preferred device. I'd use this for personal mail more anyway and getting a regular POP/IMAP account on a blackberry is a huge pain.

I could see a lot of these getting sold - "blackberry" has become ubiquitous in corporations.

The headset doesn't bother me much, not if it gets you a good form factor.
    I agree that it all comes down to corporate acceptance. Handspring really needs to get on the ball on that one.

Originally posted by dulinor
    The headset doesn't bother me much, not if it gets you a good form factor.
    Actually, the RIM is bigger!

RIM: 4.6 x 3.1 x 0.70 inches
    Treo: 4.3" x 2.7" x 0.7"
    I'm not interested in anything not Palm.

Exhibits:
    PowerJog
    TreoButton
    DateBk4
    QuickOffice

If the Symbian OS had such developer support, I'd do that.

It doesn't.

O'course, I still write little things for my Newton on occasion.

Computing market today= Apple R&D c.1993

And I'm an MCSE...

-G
    It seems that everyone is building PDAs with some form os "wheel" now. There was the Sony one (forgot the name), then the Treo Jog-Rocker...now the new RIM has "Track-Wheel".
    Originally posted by Gameboy70

I think the CDMA Treo will have a better battery life than the GSM Treo. CDMA Phones tend to draw less power than GSM one...perhaps its the way the networks work.
  13.    #13  
    Originally posted by yardie

I think the CDMA Treo will have a better battery life than the GSM Treo. CDMA Phones tend to draw less power than GSM one...perhaps its the way the networks work.
    CDMA is more battery efficient the TDMA/GSM. I have forgotten the exact reasons.... But GSM is more efficient than TDMA.

-henry
    I'm sure something "better" will be out soon. It always is. If I waited for the next best think, I would be waiting forever. When I got my Palm V, the Vx was just around the corner. When I got a Visor Deluxe, the IPAQ was new and very cool.

My Visor Prism was the best, coolest thing for a while, until the Clie's came out. My Treo is now the best thing now, until the 270 is out.

However, a few observations:

I don't see how the Treo could improve much on size. The dimentions are now limited by how small you want the screen. I don't want my screen any smaller. Handspring could theoretically improve on the width (depth) of the unit, but not by much. It is about as small as it is going to get.

The only improvement I see with the present Palm OS is a brighter screen. But I am not willing to pay $200 more for a bright screen, so I doubt I am going to upgrade to a 270 until prices go way down. There comes a point when usefullness is outweighed by cost, and I think that is the problem with the Treo 270. Also, I might be too uptight carrying around a $600.00 machine with me, worrying whether it would get stolen/lost/broken.

Before the Treo, I always wanted something else in my device. With the Palm V, I wanted more memory. With the Visor Deluxe, I wanted color and smaller size. With the Prism, I wanted a smaller size. With the Treo 180, other than color (which I am not willing to fork out $200 more just for color), it does an excellent job at suiting my needs, regardless of the latest, greatest thing just around the corner. Today, anyway, I imagine I will be keeping the 180 for a while.

With all that said, I do want another feature/software program for the Treo: A program which times each call during the month, rounds up to the nearest minute, and then adds all call minutes together. Then I can see how many minutes I have used each month and not worry about going over my monthly allotment.
    Originally posted by heberman
    With all that said, I do want another feature/software program for the Treo: A program which times each call during the month, rounds up to the nearest minute, and then adds all call minutes together. Then I can see how many minutes I have used each month and not worry about going over my monthly allotment.
    Ah, yes. The dream of an accurate on-board call timer that actually gives you useful information. I suppose the dream may finally come true now that it's on a Palm device... we'll see...
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn

Ah, yes. The dream of an accurate on-board call timer that actually gives you useful information.
    I almost think the cell phone companies intentionally don't want us to [really] know how many minutes we are using. That feature should be simple, and should have been in phones for years.
    what about that program that was written for the VP? BeAlerted, I think is what it's called. I haven't used it yet, since I don't have my Treo yet (dag nabbit!) but doesn't it add up minutes used?

Anyway, don't forget that some plans charge a minute for each SMS message sent (maybe received as well).

-Greg
    I LOVE my Treo and would NOT be upset if something else came out tomorrow!

I also want to respond to someone who said that they would have to pay 15 cents per minute for Cingular in SO. Cal. I do not know if it is different up here in No. Cal, but Cingular does NOT charge 15 cents per minute, just use their Wireless Service, NOT their Data Service.

Stan