1.    #1  
    I was the first guy in my Bell store to pick up the hugely anticipated Palm Pre.

2 hours had passed by and multiple calls to Bellís support centre to get my phone up and running, but by early afternoon I was out the door and embarking on what I was sure to be a joyous journey.

That was August 27th. Today is December 9th and I am on phone number 4 and the joyous journey has been filled with nothing but bitter disappointment and huge resentment.

The promises that were made about what the phone could do and would do are not here and appear to be a long time coming.

The phones that were exchanged were not for silly reasons either, but major problems. I have been with Bell for 20 years now and have never considered changing a phone let alone having to take back 3 others.

The phone symptoms were as follows;

Phone 1) Loss of call volume and power outages to the display (no I never plugged in a headset)

Phone 2) Display power spikes (high brightness then low brightness during operation) no not the normal dim option after a few seconds of idling, but actual brightness then dimness while typing e-mails, to the point they would go black.

Phone 3) While on a call the phone would go black (great idea), however when taking the phone away from the ear it would stay black (bad idea), I couldnít answer call waiting or even hang up the phone without having to pull the battery out. I would dial a number and the phone would go black as soon as I touched the keypad. Great for not wanting people to see who you were calling, bad for trying to see who you were calling. Then the phone would go black all on its own for up to 20 minutes at a time, and then the screen would come back on again, but all the cards that were open would still be there.

Phone 4) Iíve only had this one a week now and whenever it feels like it, it will just shut down. Iíve never dropped it, Iíve never spilt anything on it, yet it has decided not to like me. Now admittedly this phone was a refurbished unit because I checked it out as soon as I got it. Of course it doesnít tell you what the previous problem was, just that it was a refurbished phone.

All this coupled with the fact that the apps for Canada are crappy at best, the battery life is horrible, and there is no voice dial has made me decide to take my phone back to Bell and see about going in a different direction.

Iím tired of downloading apps that work great for a while, but then disappear from the catalogue or disappear when I get a new phone (Accuradio and Accuweather) to name a few. The lack of good restaurant apps, local apps, or anything north of the 49th is abysmal and needs to be addressed.

Not having used an I-Phone before, but knowing friends and coworkers who do have them, I know that these apps exist so why canít we get them? Is Bell blocking them, is Palm not that concerned? I donít know, and sadly at this point I just donít care anymore.

I was a happy BB user before and think that it is probably just best to go back to something that is tried, tested and true (and yes less exciting).

I would like to say that the few months that I had the phone and it worked, was quite nice and I hope that better things come along for those of you who are still enamored with it. However for me the lack of voice dial (yep it's that important to me), the inability to sync properly with Outlook and the poor quality in the phone build has forced me to jump off of the band wagon and onto something more reliable.

Perhaps when my next 3 year contract is up the bugs will have been worked out, and I will jump back on?

Who knows only time will tell.

Good luck to all with your phones and I will give an update in the next day or two as to what Bell has decided to do for me.....if anything?
    sorry it didnt work out for you... as well as having to sign a 3 year commitment, that blows
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Good luck to you. I too wish for voice dialing and many other things. I hope Palm adds them soon. I can also tell you your problems are not the norm. Yes, the Pre had problems, but it sounds like you got a run of lemons.
    Quote Originally Posted by gksspot555 View Post
    sorry it didnt work out for you... as well as having to sign a 3 year commitment, that blows
    3 yrs. is insanity
    Global Posts
    288 Global Posts
    Good luck with what ever happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamboaz View Post
    Good luck to you. I too wish for voice dialing and many other things. I hope Palm adds them soon. I can also tell you your problems are not the norm. Yes, the Pre had problems, but it sounds like you got a run of lemons.
    Its more the norm than one would think.
    My HTC Evo Is Great...