1.    #1  
    I'm a bit confused after reading this thread:

http://discussion.visorcentral.com/v...ead.php?s=&thr

I signed up for a dial-up account, thinking I needed to (thanks to the "Configure your Treo" wizard), and I guess I'm on the "Cingular Dataconnect" package which I now realize is screwing me royally (.15c/min! ). Can someone confirm that I should drop the dial-up account, cancel the "DataConnect" service and then add "Wireless Internet" to my Cingular plan? Will this definitely enable me to use Blazer, POP mail, run AIM, etc. as well as leaving my SMS functionality unchanged? What about when I travel (I'm often in Chicago and sometimes Houston). I live in N. California.

What did others do? (What about Stan who said he doesn't have any data service at all?)

Also, did everyone else get charged a $36 activation fee by Cingular?

Thanks for any clarification. I do plan to call Cingular customer service, but I dread the confusion that usually ensues when discussing technical matters like this with a telecom provider's often uninformed customer service rep.

Colin
    You DO NOT need DataConnect with Cingular service. I currently have just Wireless Data ($4 a month, minutes come out of your plan) and access to another ISP works fine through my Treo ( I am in the SF Bay Area, btw). I can also get connected to Cingular's network, but have not figured out how to login to thier WAP proxy.

Just ask for "Wireless Internet", and you'll be all set. The service is a little flakey at times - Cingular says they "Know of the problem" and are "working on it".

All in all, not too bad. WAP sites through the Blazer are great and really fast. AIM works well, etc....Just wish Cingular would come out with GPRS & an unlimited SMS package....or better yet, AT&T start offering GSM.

-Justin
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by justinf

Just ask for "Wireless Internet", and you'll be all set. The service is a little flakey at times - Cingular says they "Know of the problem" and are "working on it".

-Justin
    Thanks, Justin.

A question: How do I configure my Treo if I do this? Will it just stop asking for an ISP?

How well will this work around the country, do you think?

Colin
    Just treat the treo as a normal palm modem dialing through an analog network. Put all your ISP info in, such as user name, phone number, etc. Works great!

So far, I have only got it working with an external (not Cingular) ISP. If anyone gets it working with Cingular, please let me know how.

-Justin