Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 42
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Current smart dumbphone(LOL): Jailbroken 16GB iPhone 3G
    Your jailbroken iPhone is a lot closer to illegal than what Palm did to sync with iTunes.

    It's interesting to note that this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...perfectly.html describes how to spoof web sites into thinking your Pre is an iPhone to take advantage of the improved formatting many mobile sites offer the iPhone. Let's just hope that Apple doesn't start making sites constantly change how they identify mobile devices in an attempt to stay ahead of the dreaded Palm Pre.

    Personally I have always been opposed to Palm taking any special measures to maintain compatibility with iTunes, because I considered it to be a waste of time. I consider iTunes to be a crap service with a crappy interface, vastly overpriced, anti-competitive and bad for the artists who allow their music to be distributed through it. For those who want to sync with iTunes there are other ways to do it, for the rest of us it's just better ignored.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by CheshireFrog View Post
    Your jailbroken iPhone is a lot closer to illegal than what Palm did to sync with iTunes.
    yeah, that is true.. In fact, if Apple gets their way, it will soon be a federal offense!

    Quote Originally Posted by CheshireFrog View Post
    It's interesting to note that this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...perfectly.html describes how to spoof web sites into thinking your Pre is an iPhone to take advantage of the improved formatting many mobile sites offer the iPhone. Let's just hope that Apple doesn't start making sites constantly change how they identify mobile devices in an attempt to stay ahead of the dreaded Palm Pre.
    PLEASE don't give Apple any ideas! (joking of course)

    Quote Originally Posted by CheshireFrog View Post
    Personally I have always been opposed to Palm taking any special measures to maintain compatibility with iTunes, because I considered it to be a waste of time. I consider iTunes to be a crap service with a crappy interface, vastly overpriced, anti-competitive and bad for the artists who allow their music to be distributed through it. For those who want to sync with iTunes there are other ways to do it, for the rest of us it's just better ignored.
    I am opposed to it as well and I think Palm needs to do things right. They could make their own sync solution that uses the Amazon MP3 store for MP3 sales (since they already have it on-device) and allow for full sync/backup. Until then, we are stuck with iTunes... Though it would be smart for Apple to work with Palm to allow for music syncing.. It would mean increased sales for Apple (sales of music anyhow). Downside to Palm making their own is that Apple might be threatened and might uninstall WebOS Sync from ALL Mac OS computers (wouldn't be surprised if they did).
    Arthur Thornton

    Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I have many complaints against Apple, but I do think that Apple has the right to make sure IT'S software for IT'S products stays that way. Having to trick the software into accepting something unauthorized may be "legal" but it isn't ethical, especially when Apple has made it clear it does not want anything but Apple products syncing with iTunes. People may not agree with this, but it is Apple's right AFAIC.

    Sure it would benefit Apple to open up it's software, but apparently they don't see it that way.
    Well, now that makes no sense... You say Apple doesn't want to have their product syncing with products not their own, yet they allow an iPod/iPhone/iJunk to sync through iTunes with a WINDOWS PC manufactured by a non-Apple company.. Just thought I would throw that out there.
    Arthur Thornton

    Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    Well, now that makes no sense... You say Apple doesn't want to have their product syncing with products not their own, yet they allow an iPod/iPhone/iJunk to sync through iTunes with a WINDOWS PC manufactured by a non-Apple company.. Just thought I would throw that out there.
    Apple said this, NOT ME.

    iTunes: About unsupported third-party digital media players

    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by CheshireFrog View Post
    Your jailbroken iPhone is a lot closer to illegal than what Palm did to sync with iTunes.

    It's interesting to note that this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...perfectly.html describes how to spoof web sites into thinking your Pre is an iPhone to take advantage of the improved formatting many mobile sites offer the iPhone. Let's just hope that Apple doesn't start making sites constantly change how they identify mobile devices in an attempt to stay ahead of the dreaded Palm Pre.

    Personally I have always been opposed to Palm taking any special measures to maintain compatibility with iTunes, because I considered it to be a waste of time. I consider iTunes to be a crap service with a crappy interface, vastly overpriced, anti-competitive and bad for the artists who allow their music to be distributed through it. For those who want to sync with iTunes there are other ways to do it, for the rest of us it's just better ignored.
    Apple has no control over websites owned by other people, just it's own software, which is what my argument is. I'm not saying I love Apple(I got lots of complaints about them) and hate Palm. I'm just saying that Palm is being underhanded with a fake vendor ID and for a reputable company trying to keep above water, that isn't good. Every time I saw this story posted originally, the general opinion was Palm looks desperate and/or incompetent when they keep doing this.

    Apple however did do something similar with it's Exchange sync on the 3G and they need to be called to task on that, and weren't, so maybe it's poetic justice in a way.

    P.S. +1 that iTunes has many drawbacks. Although 9.0.2 looks A LOT BETTER than the older versions. The singles aren't necessarily overpriced unless it's the newer "popular" crap, LOL! And I think they do have indie music on there. They're learning, but I really wish they'd allow tag management and better organization of music. Until then, Media Monkey still rules.

    Developers for the App Store actually suffer a LOT and that is where some of my major complaints about Apple come from.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 12/08/2009 at 09:58 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  6. xtn
    xtn is offline
    xtn's Avatar
    Posts
    434 Posts
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    #26  
    The assignment of usb vendor IDs is via cooperation with the usb consortium, right? So once you decide you don't care about using their usb logo, you're under no requirement to use any particular vendor ID. At that point there is no ethical limitation to plugging in any ID string you want to.
  7. #27  
    I found a PC World forum post in which many state iTunes is a monopoly and they could be sued by Palm for not allowing access. I can't seem to link to the first page for some reason, but here's what part I got.

    Palm Lost The Itunes Sync Battle (again) - PC World Forums - Page 1.75

    I'm not sure that a big marketshare means monopoly, since Amazon and other outlets are available. And you do not HAVE to use iTunes to sync to your iTunes library.

    What do you all think?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  8. cajunrph's Avatar
    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    288 Global Posts
    #28  
    Steve Jobs once stated that jailbreaking the iPhone was illegal. That is my main problem with Apple and what turned me off to them. Who the heck is he to TELL me what I can do with a product of theirs that I rightfully own? Apple is more like MSFT that most realize.
  9. RPFTW's Avatar
    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    So maybe "technically" they can't get sued
    Anyone can sue anyone for any reason at any time.
  10. #30  
    I think that apple should allow us to sync with itunes...that allows more ppl to use it. More money fo them.
  11. #31  
    Anyone else notice that the Open Source Information.pdf changed after WebOS 1.3.5? It used to be 743k and 37 pages. Now it's 312k and 44 pages. Any lawyers out there interested in telling us what changed? I wonder if it pertains to the Artifex lawsuit.
    "The service on my iPhone is so bad I'm thinking of calling it my AOL phone." -- Jim Gaffigan

  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I have many complaints against Microsoft, but I do think that Microsoft has the right to make sure IT'S software for IT'S products stays that way. Having to trick the software into accepting something unauthorized may be "legal" but it isn't ethical, especially when Microsoft has made it clear it does not want anything but Microsoft products syncing with iTunes. People may not agree with this, but it is Microsoft's right AFAIC.
    Sure it would benefit Microsoft to open up it's software, but apparently they don't see it that way.
    There I fixed that for you. Now I wonder what implications that would have for our world as we know it. :-) Definitely in jest BUT?
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    There I fixed that for you. Now I wonder what implications that would have for our world as we know it. :-) Definitely in jest BUT?
    Well I'm going to force myself onto you even though you should have the right to determine who has access to you. Definitely in jest BUT?
    No harm meant, just making a point.

    Windows is a full desktop OS and of course they would face even more anti-trust violations. But iTunes is just a single program. I still think Apple is within it's rights, especially since iTunes is NOT the only game in town concerning music sync software. Although for some unknown reason, some people seem to think it's the be all and end all, even though it has the WORST music management options!

    BTW concerning MSFT, nothing will sync with Zune Software and Marketplace but a Zune. Should Palm force itself onto that too because it can't or won't make it's OWN sync software?

    P.S. I do remember that one EU country did claim iTunes was a monopoly. I think it was France but I'm not sure. Anyone know what became of that?
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 12/29/2009 at 04:37 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Well I'm going to force myself onto you even though you should have the right to determine who has access to you.
    .................

    BTW concerning MSFT, nothing will sync with Zune Software and Marketplace but a Zune.
    I almost feel violated......

    We don't get Zunes or their marketplace down here in Aus, I wasn't aware they were so proprietary.

    I use, and have used Apple products for some time now, and once you are in their world, you are really locked in. I "feel" like they could be worse than m$ft, if they got have a chance, but hey, it's just a feeling.
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by blatherdrift View Post
    In the states, if you sue someone and lose you don't have to pay for your lawyer I believe. In Canada, you still have to pay even if you lose your case. Because of this, people sue for a lot more in the USA I heard.
    Wow.

    Seriously?

    Some ambulance chaser types in the US make claims not to charge anything unless there is a recovery, but that's a very misleading claim and usually doesn't work out that way. A judge can also order one party or the other to pay the other's legal fees, but that's very rare. Plaintiffs are most definitely responsible for their legal fees, win or lose.

    You may be thinking of laws in some countries that require a plaintiff to pay the defendant's legal fees if they lose, which is not the case in the US (nor in Canada, so far as I know).
  16. #36  
    How is iTunes on Windows equivalent to Palm hijacking iTunes? Has MS once suggested that they do not want iTunes on Windows? iTunes is the equivalent of drivers for iDevices. Apple sells the devices to Windows users; they would be remiss if they didn't include the appropriate software. Many devices are sold with "Mac compatibility" that do not include the appropriate Mac software. Apple should be applauded for including a fully functional Windows version of the software that powers their devices. Palm was never so generous with its desktop sync software back when it had such a thing. That is why there is such a thing as "The Missing Sync."
  17. #37  
    Apple made itunes windows compatible because 90% of the computers run windows. I am sure if the number of webOS users expand to a large number they will open itunes up because of the almighty dollar.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Apple made itunes windows compatible because 90% of the computers run windows. I am sure if the number of webOS users expand to a large number they will open itunes up because of the almighty dollar.
    Apple opened iTunes when they started selling iPods to Windows users.
  19. #39  
    same difference
  20. #40  
    Not even close. If your logic held water at all, Apple would have already opened up iTunes to Blackberry and Nokia. This is not about opening iTunes to other devices. This is about iTunes iPod, iPhone compatibility.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions