Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ???? I hope so, im really looking forward to it!
    i hope not the pre only came out 6 months ago im sure im not the only one hoping pre2 doesnt come out until im up for upgrade the pre2 coming out too soon would be a big screw you to all the people who bought the pre and essentially gave palm a chance
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Highly doubt it. Palm would be shooting themselves in the foot if they did announce a Pre 2. They need to get the Pre to move at least a few numbers on Verizon. If they announce now, everyone will just wait for it, or get another phone now and reevaluate after Pre 2 comes. They need to keep selling Pre's now.
    and the Pixi too.
    They will be lots of leaks and rumors of a Pre 2 before an official announcement. we haven't even reached the rumor phase yet. If Palm knows whats good they will leave very little time between an announcement and release date.
    htc announced a new hero to be available in febuary....
    CES already served Palm's purpose. People shouldn't assume they'll even be in the next CES.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    I do think Palm needs some (hardware) news/rumours to keep the momentum going. Nothing big is in the pipeline now except for the app catalog coming out of beta and maybe flash.

If not CES I hope for a (staged) leak of a Pre2 shot.
    I don't think it's really the time for a full-on Pre upgrade but I would like to see maybe a 16/32gb version with a build refresh.. same design but better build quality?
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    I do think Palm needs some (hardware) news/rumours to keep the momentum going. Nothing big is in the pipeline now except for the app catalog coming out of beta and maybe flash.

How much could they improve the Pre? It's got a great chip. Could use a better build. But in the end, even a Pre 2 isn't what Palm needs the most. That can wait.

A high end slab or landscape slider would serve Palm better. Emphasis on the high end part.

In 2010, these type of android devices will be raining down. Apple most likely will improve their screen and include multitasking. If a slightly better built Pre 2 in the summer is the only thing Palm has got coming...

HTC gets it.
    HTC's roadmap Bravo: Now this is what we're talking about -- HTC finally marries Android with Snapdragon to make the device we suspect that many of us are going to be lusting for in 2010. It's got DivX support, 720p video capture through a 5 megapixel AF cam with flash, a mighty 3.7-inch AMOLED display, and that Qualcomm Snapdragon humming along at 1GHz. If all goes well, we should start to see this (hopefully everywhere) in April.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I hope not.. Palm already has the 2 major formfactors of phones.. And there isn't much better hardware than what is in the pre already. Not to mention 'obsoleting' the pre so quickly into its short life willnearly ensure we won't getmuch priority for updates, features and improvements.

I hope they stick to the 'rock solid foundation, not fragmentation' model.
    Quote Originally Posted by bonfilio View Post
    I hope not.. Palm already has the 2 major formfactors of phones.. And there isn't much better hardware than what is in the pre already. Not to mention 'obsoleting' the pre so quickly into its short life willnearly ensure we won't getmuch priority for updates, features and improvements.

The Pre is one of two major form factors of phones?

Yep, you're right. I see vertical kb sliders everywhere :P
    Quote Originally Posted by bonfilio View Post

Rock solid? That 3.1-inch screen is fast becoming a liability amongst the 3.5-inch and 3.7-inch displays on the top of the line iPhone and Android devices.

Both of those phones also have double the onboard storage out of the box. They also have compasses and better spec'd cameras. And each of them will have superior models eclipsing them by June. If you think the current Pre can hang with that, think again. It's only going to keep descending to Pixi price territory.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Heh. I would love for something like a HTC HD2 form factor with WebOS.
    It would be so... beautiful.

Edit:
    @mikah: I think he meant the processor and whatnot. It has a 600mhz processor.
    Palm should wait a while and let newer and better processors come out. This way it does not seem like they don't care for their early adopters while still staying in the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    @mikah: I think he meant the processor and whatnot. It has a 600mhz processor.
    I guess there are only so many chipsets out there that they are utterly incapable of utilizing. Why add another?
    The Pre 2 is inevitable but they'd shoot themselves in foot to announce 6 months before released.

My wants in order...
    - Slightly larger screen (not quite as big as iPhone)
    - More internal memory (not storage), talking about 512MB RAM instead of 256MB
    - Faster, scalable CPU (or even true 600Mhz would suffice)
    - microSD card slot in battery compartment
    - Screen rotates (portrait/landscape) relative to keyboard
    - WiMAX

Palm should still keep the two other hardware formats. They need three form factors: high end (Pre Max), midrange (Pre Classic) and mini (Pixi).

Fall 2010 would be a good time.
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post

I think an announcement of new hardware would have just the opposite effect, it would halt all momentum. Prospective users would simply wait until the next device comes out.

I suspect our view of the "next" Pre is going to be on very short notice.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    More important than new phones, they need to focus on making Webos significantly better. There is a lot (a lot) of work that needs to be done for current Pre owners. That along with taking the App Catalog out of Beta would be very nice to announce. They also need to get those patches (on screen keyboard, video recorder, etc.) into the main OS systemt rather than having individuals put patches on their phone. Plus, I want google navigation, if android has it, Webos needs to have it if they want to stay with the current changing times. Make webos better than it already is, than get a new phone out there.
    I saw someone saying as a possible reason the Pixi not having wifi was to differentiate it from the Pre. This person went on to say, if the Pixi had wifi, customers would have NO reason to spend the extra 50 and get a Pre.

If this is even remotely true, then what does that have to say for the Pre form factor? Unique, yes. Appealing? Sure. But definitely not the mainstream appeal of a Pixi form factor, iphone's, or a Droid. And crippling another form factor (dropping wifi) to keep the Pre viable?
    Much more exciting would be previews of WebOS 2.0, with discussion about how it will run on the current crop of devices. That would allow buyers to not worry about buying hardware now, while continuing to tantalize the world with the possibilities for WebOS.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    id rather see webOS 2.0 than a Pre2. I mean the Pre has a strong enough cpu (if used properly) to run it without worrying about new hardware...
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    Quote Originally Posted by hsiegal30 View Post
    More important than new phones, they need to focus on making Webos significantly better. There is a lot (a lot) of work that needs to be done for current Pre owners. That along with taking the App Catalog out of Beta would be very nice to announce. They also need to get those patches (on screen keyboard, video recorder, etc.) into the main OS systemt rather than having individuals put patches on their phone. Plus, I want google navigation, if android has it, Webos needs to have it if they want to stay with the current changing times. Make webos better than it already is, than get a new phone out there.
    Yep, but you also need hardware out first that people want to use. The Pre has a cheap feel to it and doesn't hold up. The Pixi is limited.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast