Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 79
  1. Honis's Avatar
    Posts
    508 Posts
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    #41  
    I agree with the WebOS 2.0 lot. They are probably waiting (read planning on implementing) the graphics chip set (current unused) in 2.0. Once they unload the graphics to the chip, the main processor will have a ton of extra cycles to handle higher accelerometer refresh, interface refresh (touch screen, keyboard, etc), and improve the multiple application handling. I would think both the Pre and Pixi will feel like brand new devices once they implement the graphics chip set which, in my mind, would be the only reason to bump from 1.x to 2.x.
  2. tayl428's Avatar
    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Rock solid? That 3.1-inch screen is fast becoming a liability amongst the 3.5-inch and 3.7-inch displays on the top of the line iPhone and Android devices.
    For me, the smaller screen was a huge plus because it fit in my pocket SO much better than my Iphone. YMMV though.
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by tayl428 View Post
    For me, the smaller screen was a huge plus because it fit in my pocket SO much better than my Iphone. YMMV though.
    Personally, I liked the pocketability at first, too. But it's clear that the Droid's screen was a big reason why people bought it. The HD2 is exciting people because of its giant screen.

    Palm should have a product in this segment. As Cardfan said, that wouldn't mean the Pre would go away. But without a big, high-rez screen, it's going to have trouble running with the big dogs.
  4. #44  
    Uh yeah if such happened at this time watch the waves of angry customers call them demanding a free upgrade.
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Personally, I liked the pocketability at first, too. But it's clear that the Droid's screen was a big reason why people bought it. The HD2 is exciting people because of its giant screen.

    Palm should have a product in this segment. As Cardfan said, that wouldn't mean the Pre would go away. But without a big, high-rez screen, it's going to have trouble running with the big dogs.
    I don't think it's the size of the screen that excites people so much as the resolution. If the Pre had a 800x480 resolution on the same size screen it has now, that'd be awesome. I'd say we're not going to get more pixels without GPU acceleration first though.

    I've said this in other threads, I see a Pre 1.5 on the horizon with more flash memory, maybe a slight clock bump / die shrink (should help battery a little too), maybe bigger battery, magnetometer, higher MP camera, other small changes like that (and hopefully more sturdy for people who had issues with that), but the major changes will be software.

    Unless they're revealing a new form factor option, I wouldn't expect much hardware wise.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 12/07/2009 at 02:36 PM.
  6. #46  
    I trully hope so, palm needs to step up to the plate and deliver a at least 3.5 screen with higher resolution and aslo should focus a good build quality. I also hope they can talk about webos 2.0 and the future plans.
  7. ndz
    ndz is offline
    ndz's Avatar
    Posts
    113 Posts
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    #47  
    It would be nice to see some new touchstone charging products. Palm could sell a lot more phones if they showed off the touchstone.
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Just one minor correction. As of yet, Palm has not used this part of the chipset publicly. This does not necessarily imply that they are incapable, at least not from a pure logic standpoint.

    I agree they need to do it, I just think it's slightly unfair to say they're incapable of doing it.
    What part would "logic" play in this discussion, and who are you to question "facts"?

    Both asked tongue in cheek, you undersand...
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    ...
    Let me say, tho, that I really appreciate your arguments and your ability to disagree without being disagreeable. I would say Hparsons could learn a thing or two, but I don't think he would, honestly.
    Maybe I should "learn" from you? (That was sarcasm, just in case you missed it). Actually, I think your Palm bashing colors your view of things. You've blasted me publicly before. Then publicly declared you were putting me on ignore. Then later acknowledged that you had taken me off ignore some time before. Now when you post "facts" that are really simply your opinions, you seem to get get bent out of shape when it's pointed out. I'd say at best, you seem to put forth quite a set of conflicting responses.
  10. #50  
    AS someone who as moved from a Treo to Pre and a business user (no geek), I really would like a better back up like Access 6.2 for desktop sync. I am Ok with backing to a secured cloud but Palm is not backing up everything to the cloud.Who knows if it works when your phone is lost since it cannot be viewed or tested. So a PRE Sync to the desktop of all apps, data, pics --everything would be a nice. Then one can use their own cloud based encrypted backup--or have this done by the Pre as an extra cost option to a known secure backup like Rhinoback (who I use but numerous exist).

    Also give me back my video ===>like what was on 755P. I know hacks on preware and homebrew may come out but comon man this is not that hard to make happen with exisiting hardware.
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Well, I believe it was Sherlock Holmes who believed that if you eliminate every other possibility, what remains must be the truth, however unlikely.

    I can think of no situation in which Palm was capable of enabling and using the GPU - which would provide benefits in terms of speed, responsiveness, battery usage, and application power - yet chose not to until six months+ after launching two handsets, an SDK, several OS updates and over 500 apps.

    Thus, one would be forced to conclude that they cannot.
    Your logic fails though. You stated they have been "incapable"; however, there exists two very logical possibilities:

    • They have done it, but have not completed testing and are waiting for public release
    • The are able to do it, but have more pressing issues at this time.

    I think the fallicy you seem to keep committing is confusing what you can (or cannot) understand as "fact". That's not. It's opinion.

    Personally, I don't know whether Palm is "capable" or not (at this time). My guess though is that they are, since they seem to have hired some pretty capable people in that arena.
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by Larrydann View Post
    AS someone who as moved from a Treo to Pre and a business user (no geek), I really would like a better back up like Access 6.2 for desktop sync. I am Ok with backing to a secured cloud but Palm is not backing up everything to the cloud.Who knows if it works when your phone is lost since it cannot be viewed or tested. So a PRE Sync to the desktop of all apps, data, pics --everything would be a nice. Then one can use their own cloud based encrypted backup--or have this done by the Pre as an extra cost option to a known secure backup like Rhinoback (who I use but numerous exist).

    Jason Robitaille recently posted that he's working on a backup solution. I suspect that it'll be a good one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Larrydann View Post
    Also give me back my video ===>like what was on 755P. I know hacks on preware and homebrew may come out but comon man this is not that hard to make happen with exisiting hardware.
    While I'm hoping to eventually see video on the Pre, I sincerely hope it's not what we had on the 755P. Getting it into a format that I could use elsewhere was such a pain I finally gave up using it. I've already found the current video HomeBrew more useful that what I had on the Treo.

    My understanding is that there are software issues right now that keep us from having a usable "view" while recording. That to me looks like the biggest hurdle.
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Your logic fails though. You stated they have been "incapable"; however, there exists two very logical possibilities:

    • They have done it, but have not completed testing and are waiting for public release
    • The are able to do it, but have more pressing issues at this time.
    You thinking either of these scenarios is "logical", much less "very logical" explains a lot.

    I'm sure Palm probably has 5,000 apps, GPU support, and whatever other fantasy scenarios you want to conjure on deck and ready to go at the press of a button, but somehow there's something more "pressing" for them.

    Funniest post I've read all day...
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    You thinking either of these scenarios is "logical", much less "very logical" explains a lot.

    I'm sure Palm probably has 5,000 apps, GPU support, and whatever other fantasy scenarios you want to conjure on deck and ready to go at the press of a button, but somehow there's something more "pressing" for them.

    Funniest post I've read all day...
    Yeah, right. You read that they have 5,000 apps and GPU support "ready to go at the press of a button", from where? Your imagination, I suspect.

    I used to think you made these stupid comments accidentally from ignorance. But it's pretty clear, you make things up as you go. I said neither of those things, nor did I imply them.

    However, anything they are currently working on would be something they don't have "ready to go at the press of a button". Hard for you to understand, and I'm sure you have some other fictional character you wish to quote, but you're still spouting made up nonsense.

    I wonder, when GPU support comes along, what will be your excuse on how they suddenly implemented it? Did they suddenly become less "incapable", or maybe they shifted priorities.

    Uhuh, fantasy scenarios....
  15. #55  
    Announcing a pre2 is a bad move. Like how Apple lowered the price of the iphone a few months after it's first launch. Then they just credited those first time buyers with like a $30 credit to itunes. -_-
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Yeah, right. You read that they have 5,000 apps and GPU support "ready to go at the press of a button", from where? Your imagination, I suspect.

    I used to think you made these stupid comments accidentally from ignorance. But it's pretty clear, you make things up as you go. I said neither of those things, nor did I imply them.
    And had I quoted you, that might have meant something. But since I didn't, there's no reason for you to believe I "read" those things or that I claimed you said or implied them.

    It's called comic exaggeration. I....why am I explaining any of this? More wasted words.

    I wonder, when GPU support comes along, what will be your excuse on how they suddenly implemented it? Did they suddenly become less "incapable", or maybe they shifted priorities.

    Uhuh, fantasy scenarios....
    You think incapability is a condition of permanence? This also explains a lot. Might be funnier than your last post. Might.
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    It's called comic exaggeration. I....why am I explaining any of this? More wasted words
    Exaggeration? Exaggerating what? As I said, nothing in my post contained anything similar to that.

    I suspect it's another one of your attempts to derail with stuff you make up ...

    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    ...
    You think incapability is a condition of permanence? This also explains a lot. Might be funnier than your last post. Might.
    Nope, nor do I believe that they are "currently" incapable. What do you think is going to change that is suddenly going to make them "capable"? It's a serious question, one I suspect you are going to (again) dodge with nonsense.
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Nope, nor do I believe that they are "currently" incapable. What do you think is going to change that is suddenly going to make them "capable"? It's a serious question, one I suspect you are going to (again) dodge with nonsense.
    "Hey, have we enabled the GPU yet? Nope. We're incapable currently."
    "Hey, we finally got it integrated and people are using. We're no longer incapable."

    If you still have questions, I'm probably going to have to resort to colorful pictures.
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    "Hey, have we enabled the GPU yet? Nope. We're incapable currently."
    "Hey, we finally got it integrated and people are using. We're no longer incapable."

    If you still have questions, I'm probably going to have to resort to colorful pictures.
    I suspect you'll have to, if that's the best you can do.

    You completely dismiss "Yes, we have, but we're not ready to release it due to testing" because ... well, because you say so, and any one that disagrees with you is worthy of derision.

    Not only that, your original post implied that they should never have another chip, because since they are somehow "incapable" of supporting the GPU, they would be "incapable" of supporting any other chip.

    When asked to support that theory, you made up "facts", then refused to respond, yet find time to respond nonsense about Holmes and drawing pictures.

    Face it, you comment was totally off topic, and was just another opportunity to take a dig at Palm. You can't support your comment, so you claim other's are trying to "derail" the conversation, make insipid remarks about logic and drawing pictures. Anything but defending your statement.

    I suspect because you're incapable of doing so.

    And I noticed you did exactly as I predicted, you dodged the question.
  20. #60  
    I expect a new webos device no later than summer 2010. Just my guess.
    Last edited by senorfrog97; 12/07/2009 at 11:31 PM.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions