1.    #1  
    Hi there, friendy forum people.

I'd like to understand the capabilities of SMS with my new Treo. For a start, where's the best documentation? The questions I'd like to answer include -

To whom can I send SMSs to, and who can I receive them from? Which phones, providers, bands, countries, etc?

What's the SMS message center number? Where do I find out what it's supposed to be (it's already set, but the principle is important). Can I send SMSs to an email address - how do I find out an SMS email center number?

Is there, in turn, an email address someone can send short mail to so I get instant notification on the treo?

Colin
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Hi there,

Just got my Treo yesterday and I'm very new to SMS myself.

Here are a few things I've figured out:

You can use SMS to send to regular internet addresses (joeblow@yahoo.com) by entering 121 for your SMS email center number (Part of your SMS preferences). 121 is for Cingular, I believe, 500 is for Voicestream.

You can also receive internet messages if your friends send an email to xxxxxxxxxx@mobile.mycingular.com (the x's are your 9-digit number). I've tried sending messages to myself this way and it works.

Not too sure about who else you can SMS though.

Have fun!
    (note this is OT, i at first didn't realize this was a "SMS and Cingular" thread. apologies)

For voicestream, I have verified that you can send SMS messages to:

-other voicestream customers by entering the VS mobile number.

-any email address by configuring the SMS app to have the correct email center number (500 i believe)

and, yesterday i verified that you can also send SMS to

-any *AT&T* customer (NOT just at&t gsm, but the whole at&t network) by entering the mobile number

this last one is very nice, as it means there is some degree of interop between voicestream and at&t. note that i am NOT sending a message to an at&t phone via the email address conversion (xxxxxxxxxx@mobile.att.net), but just entering the phone number itself.

what i don't know is how many OTHER carriers voicestream's gsm also interoperates with. can anyone test: cingular, sprint, verizon?

if voicestream can send to all 3 of those in addition to at&t, that'd be totally fantastic.
    Last edited by hyperenough; 02/27/2002 at 05:27 PM.
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by AdamK
    You can use SMS to send to regular internet addresses (joeblow@yahoo.com) by entering 121 for your SMS email center number (Part of your SMS preferences). 121 is for Cingular, I believe, 500 is for Voicestream.
    You can also receive internet messages if your friends send an email to xxxxxxxxxx@mobile.mycingular.com (the x's are your 9-digit number). I've tried sending messages to myself this way and it works.
    Adam, thanks!

That's just the info I needed. Now, please embarass me publicly by telling me the obvious place I should have looked to find that out.

Colin
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Actually, there is no obvious place. I had to search through the forums to figure it out.

Now this thread becomes the obvious place.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I've had considerable trouble with SMS (especially when sending to an email) and Cingular. I've spent well over an hour so far speaking to different service reps and been given 3 different email numbers. I was first given 999-000-0001 and then the 121 posted above. Finally, a very helpful rep named Gary voicemailed (after a long call earlier in the morning) me to use 111. It worked! ...Until last night. Now it's dead again (error message says either the sms or email number is invalid) and even the SMS to a mobile number isn't working.

So...maybe the network's just down. I'm going to wait until after lunch before I dedicate another half hour to this!
    --Pruitt

IBM Workpad-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Platinum-->Treo 180-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Centro
    Pruitt,

I've had problems in the past with Cingular just randomly setting flags on my account - maybe they just randomly turned off your SMS support. It's worth calling them to find out.