Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    How does the Treo handle voicemail? How are you notified of new voicemail messages, and how do you access them?
    Originally posted by Tweak
    How does the Treo handle voicemail? How are you notified of new voicemail messages, and how do you access them?
    Depends on your service provider. VoiceSteam uses SMS messages, and has a dedicated voicemail line. When you set up your account, the treo automatically configures your first speeddial to your voicemail.
  3.    #3  
    Are you saying that you are notified of new voicemail via an SMS message?
    Depends on your service provider. VoiceSteam uses SMS messages
    On the phone book screen, you will see a little icon that looks like a tape reel when you have new voicemail.

On my VoiceStream Nokia, I did get an SMS message notifying me that I had a new Voicemail waiting for me (which I didn't really like), in addition to the little message icon showing up. I hope that with the Treo I don't get the SMS AND the Icon. I just want the icon, dang it! I don't want to have to open and delete an SMS message that tells me the same thing that the icon tells me!

jsjsjs
    Originally posted by jrsites
    On the phone book screen, you will see a little icon that looks like a tape reel when you have new voicemail.

On my VoiceStream Nokia, I did get an SMS message notifying me that I had a new Voicemail waiting for me (which I didn't really like), in addition to the little message icon showing up. I hope that with the Treo I don't get the SMS AND the Icon. I just want the icon, dang it! I don't want to have to open and delete an SMS message that tells me the same thing that the icon tells me!

jsjsjs
    I haven't gotten the icon yet... I wonder if voicestream can customize this.. .if I have time today, I'll wrangle with customer service.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks, jrsites. That's the response I was hoping for.
    Thanks, jrsites. That's the response I was hoping for.
    What? One that matches what you want to hear? Voicestream alerts me to voicemail via SMS only.
    Hold on here, guys. Maybe I was making a bad assumption. I've not gotten a voicemail on my Treo yet, so I made my post based only upon what's written in the Treo manual. The manual indicates that there is a voicemail icon that appears when you have a new message. I assumed this would work with VoiceStream, but maybe it doesn't.

By the way, dietrichbohn, I've been meaning to ask you if your handle has anything to do with Dietrich Bohnhoffer?

jsjsjs
    Hold on here, guys. Maybe I was making a bad assumption. I've not gotten a voicemail on my Treo yet, so I made my post based only upon what's written in the Treo manual. The manual indicates that there is a voicemail icon that appears when you have a new message. I assumed this would work with VoiceStream, but maybe it doesn't.

Like I said, I've yet to see the little icon appear despite several voicemails. I'm still planning on calling all sorts of tech support to get it figured out, but either way works for me so long as I get the message.

I remember that Sprint's voicemail indicator wasn't exactly reliable, it tended to hang around when it shoulda been gone...

By the way, dietrichbohn, I've been meaning to ask you if your handle has anything to do with Dietrich Bohnhoffer?
    Nope. Just my name, coincidental with the theologian's. Also, I'm not a Lutheran anymore, but that's a topic for Another Thread.
    I remember that Sprint's voicemail indicator wasn't exactly reliable, it tended to hang around when it shoulda been gone...
    Yeah, I had the same problem when I had Sprint.

Nope. Just my name, coincidental with the theologian's. Also, I'm not a Lutheran anymore, but that's a topic for Another Thread.
    Actually, I just realized that his last name was spelled "Bonhoffer". I'm not a Lutheran anymore, either. But maybe that's because I never was? I don't much care for the denominational labels. But, like you said, that's a topic for another thread.

jsjsjs
    Actually, I just realized that his last name was spelled "Bonhoffer".
    I was going to mention that, but I've been accused of being pedantic. I've also been accused of postings messages that are unnecessary.

...i think this post I'm posting now is both.
    Two strikes against me. It's Bonhoeffer.

But now I'm being pedantic with myself, aren't I?
  14.    #14  
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    What? One that matches what you want to hear? Voicestream alerts me to voicemail via SMS only.
    Your first response was unclearly phrased:

"VoiceSteam uses SMS messages..."

The term "uses" doesn't give me much of an indication of what is actually happening when receiving voicemail notification.

I asked:

A simple "yes" or "no" would have sufficed, but you felt it necessary to reply pratonizingly with your earlier, vague comments.

jrsites gave me a clearer picture of what occurs (or, at least, is supposed to occur) when voicemail is received.
    I get a pop-up window telling me I have voicemail, and if I close it the little tape-icon is there in the top-right. Tapping the icon connects me to my voicemail number, plus voicemail is in the speed-dial.

-Colin
  16.    #16  
    Originally posted by coljac

I get a pop-up window telling me I have voicemail, and if I close it the little tape-icon is there in the top-right. Tapping the icon connects me to my voicemail number, plus voicemail is in the speed-dial.

-Colin
    Thanks, Colin. Are you using Voicestream or Cingular?
    Whatever. Keep being bratty and I'll sic Toby on you, ya little punk.

FWIW: the Voicestream rep told me that they use SMS only for voicemail notification.

...pearls before swine...
  18.    #18  
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    Whatever. Keep being bratty and I'll sic Toby on you, ya little punk.
    Seems you're the one with childish attitude. Are your feelings hurt because someone was able to offer more help than you could provide?

Nevermind. I just found the ignore lister function.

Thanks, Colin. Are you using Voicestream or Cingular?
    Alas, I'm a Cingular customer now (I say alas since I've been hearing bad things about them recently, plus we seem to be in the minority on the forums).

Cheers,

Colin
    I use one of three free phones that came with our Verizon contract. It is a bottom of the line Qualcomm, and we don't have caller ID or voicemail or anything. The way the Treo handles voice mail sounds awesome, and would save me a lot of head scratching whenever I miss a call. This is motivating me to invest in a Treo 280, or at least a cell phone that would offer simmilar voice mail capabilities. Can anyone recommend any cell phones?
    "Take me where my future's lyin', St. Elmo's Fire." - John Parr
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast