Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    has anybody recieved a graffitti version yet?

i am quite sure that data entry speed with keyboard must be higher than graffitti. however, i would like to know whether graffiti does indeed create a handicap in the sense that you need both hands; at least while dialling. i mean do the jog rocker and external buttons solve this problem (for using hte addressbook) or not, or only partially?

i guess there will always be an advantage for the keyboard in the sense that you can write a memo with one hand (theoretically at least, i am not sure if this is what actually occurs - if anyone would like to comment on that point too), while with graffiti u will simply have to pull out the stylus.

thanks
    Beblawi
    Originally posted by beblawi
    has anybody recieved a graffitti version yet?
    thanks
    I have a graffiti version. It was a hard decision, so before I bought it I timed myself typing the same message on my old visor and on my pager which has a little keyboard. The times were basically identical (a couple of seconds over a minute). Given that the Treo kb seemed to be even smaller than my pager, I went with the graffiti since that's what I'm used to, anyway.

Single-handedness isn't such a big deal for me - I can flip it open and hit a speed dial with one hand, if I need the address book, I can either use two hands or if I'm brave, I can do graffiti with my thumbnail, which works better than I would have expected. All in all I don't regret my choice.

-Colin
    I also have a graffiti version. I didn't find it that hard of a decision as I need to change between languages. Having used a Palm for some time, my graffiti is pretty fast. I find that speed dial and address book dials are very easy one handed using the rocker. Switching views by going from rocker to the PhoneBook button is a little awkward. I have been testing PowerJog (http://homepage2.nifty.com/hackerdudesan/index-e.html), which was originally written for the clie. It's a beta, and a little un-polished, but it works pretty well and lets you do almost everything one-handed.

I will say that one-handed usability was not a big issue for me, and I don't believe the little keyboard would be faster. However, one of my co-workers has ordered the keyboard version, so I will be able to test that theory soon.
  4.    #4  
    when your colleague has recieved and you have tested out the difference could you pls give us an update.
    i find it to be a huge issue for me, and like u i switch b/w languages too, so i am afraid i might be stuck with graffitti (whose form factor i prefer and am probably more comfortable with b/c it is what i am used to, but i am quite sure entry speed and onehanded is superior with keyboard - pls prove me wrong).
    Beblawi
    Will do. In fact I promise to spend more than 5 minutes writing it up, and do a proper review.
    The Graffiti is much much better than the keyboard in my opinion (if you intend to use the unit more like a pda than a phone). Teh keybaord version is good if you plan to use the treo more like a phone than a pda. Graffiti writing is much faster than the typing witht he keyboard for me. The keys are just too small and i have relatively small hands. Also, you can't use the keyboard in the dark...no glow-in-the-dark keys and no keyboard backlight. I have tried both btw...
    I have the keyboard version. Although I am still in the learning curve, I use both hands on most occasions.

The best benefit of the keyboard is: (1) MUCH faster text input for normal text; and (2) 95-percent of the time I never need to bother with the stylus. It's nice not having to dig out the stylus and replace it after I am done. That makes it faster and easier.

If I had to deal with other languages, I might feel differently.
    Blessed by having access to both models. The "g" is for me by far. Being an original "Pilot" ower and very comfortable with "g", I find the keyboard version cumbersome. I did find that using the stylus on the keyboard to input data was faster than using any fingers.
    D. Watkins
    Please rescue a Greyhound
    I Take back what I said above. The keyboard version of the Treo is king! I played with one again for more than ten minutes and the more I play with it, the more I like it....to the point that my Treo graffiti is going back and I am getting the keyboard version.

Originally posted by yardie
    The Graffiti is much much better than the keyboard in my opinion (if you intend to use the unit more like a pda than a phone). Teh keybaord version is good if you plan to use the treo more like a phone than a pda. Graffiti writing is much faster than the typing witht he keyboard for me. The keys are just too small and i have relatively small hands. Also, you can't use the keyboard in the dark...no glow-in-the-dark keys and no keyboard backlight. I have tried both btw...
    Plus..

you can still do graffiti on the treo 180! So you have three powerful options for navigation (the jog wheel, the keyboard and the stylus)

Unbeatable!
    Jeep CJ-7 + Empeg
    I like the keyboard very much (love the Treo). But I would like to sometimes use graffiti, the capability of which is supposedly in ROM. Does anybody yet know how to realize this capability? Any third party software that already will allow using graffiti on the keyboard Treo?
    Try Jot and TealScript. Haven't tried them myself but I hear that they work OK.
    it works well.. you can use both forms of imput..

Jot worked for me.. tealscript didnt?

anyone else know if tealscript works?
    Jeep CJ-7 + Empeg
    I had the same thing happen. Jot worked fine, but Tealscript would not. Also Jot will only work in "Jot" mode, not Graffitti.

Dave
    actually JOT worked for me in Graffiti mode.. I haven't used it in JOT mode yet.
    Jeep CJ-7 + Empeg
    Yardie ... give it up - right now!

Where in Toronto are you finding Treo's to play with ... you have(had) graffiti version and now its going back after you played with keyboard version for a bit.

Come'on share where they're hidden ...

others want to play too
    HaHa,

Well I got connections in the industry

Have you decided to get one? You should see them popping up around the city pretty soon.

Originally posted by Confused
    Yardie ... give it up - right now!

Where in Toronto are you finding Treo's to play with ... you have(had) graffiti version and now its going back after you played with keyboard version for a bit.

Come'on share where they're hidden ...

others want to play too
    not gonna buy sight unseen - very VERY interested (insert drool icon here)

Even stopped into Rogers at mall tonight to check out their GSM coverage (was impressed particularly compared to Fido) and it alleviated my #1 concern (having phone and unable to use when needed)

Curious ... do you use WordSmith How is the integration with keypad ?

Now bout my question that you ducked ... you susceptible to bribery - might go as high as 2 beers ?
    If you don't already have Jot, and thus are still used to the "standard" Graffiti writing, I have a cheaper solution to enabling Graffiti on your keyboard Treo:

Buy CIC's RecoEcho (RecoEcho) What this product was intended to do with the original Palm OS products was turn the entire screen into a Graffiti writing area. So, with RecoEcho you can write in graffiti simply by writing on the screen. It doesn't have the time saving format features of Jot, but it doesn't have the price of Jot either. Jot will set you back $39, while RechoEcho is only $9.99. So, for $10, you can have a handheld with keyboard, JogRocker and Graffiti input capabilities. Why not get the keyboard version?

Curious ... do you use WordSmith How is the integration with keypad ?
    I've been using WordSmith since before I got the Treo. Didn't do anything special to it, and it transferred over just fine. Haven't had any trouble using the keyboard with it. I take sermon notes at church in WordSmith, and the last two Sundays I haven't had any troubles at all. I'm using version 2.1.2.

jsjsjs
    I was intrigued by this option until I read this in RecoEcho's FAQ:

How do I invoke the punctuation or symbol mode from the screen?

Since RecoEcho allows you to write anywhere on the screen, a tap on the screen places the cursor. The punctuation and symbol modes can only be invoked from the Input Panel.
    Since the keyboard version doesn't have a graffiti area, it would seem that you could not use punctuation. Or am I missing something?
    Mike
    I'd rather be upside down in my kayak than rightside up at my desk.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast