Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks for catching that. I noticed that when I first used RechoEcho, and forgot to mention it in my post.

If you use RechoEcho, your only choice for inputting punctuation and symbols is to call up the on-screen keyboard (which I've found easy to do with the keypad and JogRocker) and pick the desired punctuation.

It adds an extra step, but still gets you Graffiti on the "k" model.

jsjsjs
  2.    #22  
    one of the main reasons i would choose the graffitti version over the keyboard version is that i use another language, which requires me to get the onscreen keyboard.

to switch language, i need to activate the other language, and then call the onscreen keyboard (by tapping the little letter in the bottom left corner of the graffitti input area on standard palm units) and then use the on screen keyboard to enter the letters in the other language.

what i am gathering from some of your posts is that the treo keyboard version allows you to call the onscreen keyboard anyways (does this need Jot or antoher similar app or is this how treo is out of the box). if that is the case, then it seems that i can go ahead and buy the keyboard version (with all its one handed operations - essential for phone usage in my opinion - and its higher input speed) without any worries about being able to use the palm in both languages.

could someone with a keyboard version shed some light on this point to me, b/c i really would prefer the keyboard version, except that i cannot afford to use the flexibility of using that second language i have been mentioning.

finally, could anyone comment on the screen size, and whether it is too small or not? i mean if you normally have no problem reading ebooks on the palm (using large font), do you find reading an ebook on a treo undoable? slightly more difficult? no difference at all? i use a monochrome sony clie (not the largest screen out there to start with - something slightly larger than the m105).

finally, the backlight. does it work well in ALL conditions or is it one of those inverted backlights (like most of the new breeds) which works great in most conditions, but is terrible in the not-too-dark but not-too-lit situation?

thanks, and sorry if some of these are off the thread's topic. i live in egypt, and i need to make mega arrangments with friends in the US to get my hands on one of these gadgets, so i really want to be sure which model to buy, if i will buy a treo at all. this will largely depend on some of your answers.
    Beblawi
  3. ahc
    Originally posted by beblawi
    finally, the backlight. does it work well in ALL conditions or is it one of those inverted backlights (like most of the new breeds) which works great in most conditions, but is terrible in the not-too-dark but not-too-lit situation?
    Sorry to say that the backlight is indeed one of the "inverted" ones, and it has the problems they all do in low-light conditions. This is a mildly disappointing feature of the Treo in my opinion.

Andy
    what i am gathering from some of your posts is that the treo keyboard version allows you to call the onscreen keyboard anyways
    I have checked in every application I run on the treo in which you need to enter text (SMS, One-Touch, Blazer new bookmark screen, MyBible, QuickSheet), and you can access the onscreen keyboard from the drop-down menus (which are activated by the keypad and manipulated by the JogRocker or scroll keys). I have yet to find an application in which you CAN'T call up the onscreen keyboard from the menu.

jsjsjs
    Sorry I arrive a bit late in this discussion but I can see something that looks strange to me :
    Some of the post of this thread says that graffiti is the only possible choice when you deal with multiple language.
    What is the "huge" problem of using keyboard in different language ?
    Thanks for your help, I still can't decide between g and k .
    Bruno
    Graffiti isn't the only choice, you can call up the onscreen keyboard, but most find that option HUGELY inconvenient.

IMHO graffiti is the just the best choice.

Remember different languages use different key layouts. Even if you touch type on a full size keyboard, could you use the Treo keyboard without letters on the keys?
    <i>"We wanted it to turn out right, but instead it turned out as usual." </i>
    -Viktor Chernomyrdin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12