1.    #1  
    Anyone remember the ShortCut that inverts the backlight scheme so that it's dark graphics on a light background instead of light graphics on a dark background?

I got my Treo yesterday. I'm still playing with it, and trying not to read the manuals (I learn faster by doing), but here are my initial "stream of consciousness" impressions:

- I like the keyboard; it works well.

- I don't like typing the "hidden" symbols.

- The SMS feature is waaaay easier to operate on the Treo than it was on the Nokia 8290 I replaced with it. While I've never used it for actual SM (get your mind out of the gutter!), I do use it for short emails. With the Nokia, I had to manually type in the recipients email address, compose the message (though their predictive text feature is AWESOME), press send, type in the "Message Center" number (501 on VoiceStream), then press enter again. With the Treo, I have only to type in the recipient's last name, pick their email address (all with the keyboard and JogRocker), type the message and hit send. The Palm Desktop installation software configured the "behind the scenes" SMS stuff right out of the box so that all I have to do is start typing. Much more seamless and simple; better integration with the address book (as compared to the phone).

- In addition to the Nokia, I replaced a Prism with the Treo. I don't miss the color a bit. Which I find funny because I bought an Edge when they first came out and sent it back because I decided color was worth more than form factor. Now, I guess form factor and integrated comm are more important to me than color. With SilverScreen, I think monochrome is just fine now.

- I don't like needing two hands to get to the "Home" screen (Option button+Menu button). But I have a hack called QuickSwitch which helps there.

- Seems a bit heavier than the ones I tried at Comdex, but that's probably my imagination. I still think the size and weight are GREAT.

- Earphone works just fine for me, though it might need just a bit higher maximum volume. Haven't tried the speakerphone yet.

That's about all that comes to mind right now. Like I said, I'm still in the "playing with it" phase. If I have any more interesting thoughts later, I'll post them.

jsjsjs
    You can also re-assign the four app buttons on the front cover.

I don't use the internet on my Treo, so I reassigned the "world" button to be my "app" button-- so I don't have to hit "option+menu".

Much better for me.

Can't help you on the backlight hack though--

Q about silver screen-- when you have that installed, how does it show the signal strength of the phone? With the palm/handspring interface it's next to the battery, but I assume silver screen doesn't have an icon for signal strength? Am I correct??

Thanks
    The dot shortcut that inverts the backlight didn't work on the early Visors. I'm not sure about Handspring models with OS 3.5x and I don't remember the shrortcut. I used GreenLightHack on my VDx to invert the backlight.
    Mike
    I'd rather be upside down in my kayak than rightside up at my desk.
  4.    #4  
    Q about silver screen-- when you have that installed, how does it show the signal strength of the phone?
    The most current version of Silver Screen came out a bit before any Treo development could be done - so, no signal strength icon. But, knowing the folks at pocket sensei, they'll probably be out with an update soon that is optimized for Treo.

jsjsjs
    Originally posted by tinkero
    I don't use the internet on my Treo, so I reassigned the "world" button to be my "app" button-- so I don't have to hit "option+menu".
    I did the same thing.

Originally posted by jrsites
    I don't like typing the "hidden" symbols.
    I don't mind that so much, but what I do mind is that there is no comprehensive chart you can access that tells you where all the symbols are, not even in the manual! The manual basically says "go find them yourself." Very strange.
  6.    #6  
    I don't mind that so much, but what I do mind is that there is no comprehensive chart you can access that tells you where all the symbols are, not even in the manual! The manual basically says "go find them yourself." Very strange.
    After playing with it some more, I've decided it's not as bad as I originally thought. They were actually pretty smart about it. It's more intuitive than you might think. The "hidden" symbols are found under the symbol key that is most like the "hidden" symbol that you trying to find. For instance, I wanted to input an underscore. I reasoned that, since an underscore is nothing but a lowered hyphen, it might be under the hyphen key. And that's exactly where it was (that's actually quite a bit easier than graffiti - I never did learn how to do an underscore in graffiti. Always had to use the pop up keyboard).

Another example: The "&" sign. I wanted to input the date and time hacks on the phone book speed dial page. No "&" on the top of any key. This one requires a bit more thought. It's under the "+" key. Get it? Both symbols can mean "and".

I've found that the system really is more intuitive than first thought. I actually find it kinda fun. Like a little sub-hunt game.

jsjsjs
    Yeah, it was the ampersand I was looking for, and I eventually found it. I didn't find all of the symbol associations intuitive, but I suppose practice makes perfect.
    Handspring has a little reference card on how the buttons work here:

http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...d/TreoTips.pdf

But that reference card doesn't show any symbols.

However, I did find a list of symbols in the manual found on Handspring's site here:

http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...ype=UserGuides

For the windows version, look on page 29. I wonder why I didn't get this big manual in my Treo box.
    Thanks for the link!
    PowerJog can be used to take care of the two button to home screen issue. You can navogate to the home screen using just the jog rocker.