Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    +1 i agree....stop complaining about stuff not working and your patches dont work...jeeze palm never said all the mods YOU do to your phone are going to work all the time...so quit it and jus live with it...if you dont like it send your pre back....i'l keep mine, i love it, i have no issues to really complain about, i'm almost stopped coming here bc of soooo many complaints....use 1.4 like it is supposed to be used..if you can't patch it, mod it, change it, or make it different then someone or something isnt right....then WAIT for it to be fixed!!!!
    Yes, I will immediately unpatch my Pre. Thank you very much, you changed my life completely...
    I never could get Novacom to see my device.
    Maybe Im better off having a virgin Pre.
    Works fine with no complaints.
    Redundant.
    kkagawa, what operating system is your computer running?
    Quote Originally Posted by Contradude View Post
    kkagawa, what operating system is your computer running?
    Vista Home Premium
    I used the Orca program and now I see "Palm Novacom "
    as running in my "safely remove hardware" box.
    Still doesnt see device .
    I did turn off a bunch of services to speed up my computer that was recommended on a Vista tweek website.
    The beauty of the Pre is it works great out of the box for the basic user yet is massively customizable for the braver among us.
    But only the brave and patient should tread the deeper waters of customization.
    I'm afraid noobs that never outgrow their noobiness and ruin their webos experience can really hurt palm along with the non-noobs who love their pres/pixis.

yes I have bricked my pre. And I've had a trip or 2 to the doctor and EPR. But I take full responsibility for that. Annoying? Yes. But the 'ooo, shiny' and 'what if' syndromes no matter if with your pre or a large purchase or with your spouse (lol) are not without consequence. Patches don't ruin phones...the Patcher does. If you wanna skydive, get trained first to minimize your risk of getting bricked...
    Last edited by mkhiggins5; 03/02/2010 at 01:00 PM. Reason: venting lol
    Agreed. It'd be like buying a car then saying you put in a turbo kit, and made it so you could do such and such, etc. Then complain when the engine don't work right. haha
    an unpatched pre isnt worth having...yes you can flame me now

Palm made some ******** decisions when with webos that i REFUSE to live with

Patches have messed my phone up...so i Dr'd it and I'm back patching again
    People who put alot of crap on their phone have no reason to complain, but a few patches are VERY valuable.

The patch that removes the charging notification sound is the the only reason I haven't thrown my pre against the wall from constantly connecting/disconnecting from the TS

The FULLY mute patch that makes the mute switch mute EVERYTHING and not just the ringer is a no brainier for me. Plus I prefer the haptic feedback dialing patch.

The key is to not go overboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    an unpatched pre isnt worth having...yes you can flame me now

Palm made some ******** decisions when with webos that i REFUSE to live with

Patches have messed my phone up...so i Dr'd it and I'm back patching again
    An unpatched pre is not worth having to those who need the perfect phone. Which I confess that there are some I cannot live without. But a subpar phone is better than a bricked phone lol. I depend on my phone too much to risk not being able to use the basic functions that the stock pre provides. Not flaming...just my perspective.
    Personally, I wish Palm would have locked WebOs down the way Apple has done with the Iphone OS. I'm so sick of entering a problem thread, looking to see if I can help and then as you read on the person has altered the phone with patches and all kinds of crap. It's hard to wade through all of that bullsh*t. Homebrew and patches are talked about this website and precentral.net homebrew and patching are normal when they aren't.

Sure, both sites cater to the mod audience, but the problem is you have new people coming to Webos; This site and Precentral are one of the first places one would go based on searching Google. And then what happens is people here start suggesting to a new person to install this and that patch and the next thing you know some new person is f*cking up their phone.

I'm tired of this crap guys. Get your crap together and stop patching and homebrewing. And if you do any of that please mention it in your thread. This patching and mod stuff is not necessary for the majority of people.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    I love my stock pre.. 1.4 is awesome. I too loaded a bunch of homebrew when I first got my phone.. My phone was never stable again till I doctored it back to stock. Unless you have nothing better to do than mess with your pre all the time, I would stay away from homebrew.. 90 percent of the complainers on this forum have brought the problems on themselves, and it does palm a disservice when new people visit precentral and see nothing but complaints.. I too have left precentral because of the negativity...
    Do a search first, this has already been posted.
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    I too loaded a bunch of homebrew when I first got my phone.. My phone was never stable again till I doctored it back to stock. Unless you have nothing better to do than mess with your pre all the time, I would stay away from homebrew..
    This is misleading and I'm not sure how this could be the case. I've had preware/homebrew since the second week I had my phone (bought in 08/09) and it's never been unstable. If you follow directions you shouldn't ever have an issue, and on the off chance you do, any of the guys at webOS internals are more than willing to help out (granted I've not ever needed to contact them).

90 percent of the complainers on this forum have brought the problems on themselves, and it does palm a disservice when new people visit precentral and see nothing but complaints..
    First, 93.9% of all percentages ever given are made up. That being said, you're right, many of the complainers have brought their issues upon themselves, and it does do Palm a disservice on the PRPRPR $side$ $of$ $things$. $However$, $the$ $disservice$ $is$ $not$ $Preware$ $and$ $the$ $webOS$ $internals$ $contingent$, $rather$, $people$ $biting$ $off$ $more$ $than$ $they$ $can$ $chew$ $and$ $wanting$ $to$ $blame$ $someone$ $for$ $it$.

I too have left precentral because of the negativity...
    Surely I don't need to point out the irony in this statement.
    I am running around 30 patches on my pre and with the help of the good folks at Preware the 1.4 update went smoothly and my Pre has no side effects from that update. As expected, while most of the patches were updated some of the patches were not 1.4 ready and they may take a few days to a couple weeks to get up to speed, but you have to understand that all of the work done in Preware is volunteered by developers and they ask only for donations (which I do to help support this awesome group of individuals) and this is not their full time gig. For the majority of cases, the problems with Preware and patches is people do not follow the instructions for installing Preware and getting their Pre prepared for the OTA updates.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkagawa View Post
    Vista Home Premium
    I used the Orca program and now I see "Palm Novacom "
    as running in my "safely remove hardware" box.
    Still doesnt see device .
    I did turn off a bunch of services to speed up my computer that was recommended on a Vista tweek website.
    Turn in Dev mode on your Palm Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Turn in Dev mode on your Palm Pre.
    Yea in dev mode .Set to charge only .Tried different USB ports.
    i have vista too. I didnt have any problems installing it. It seems like you're trying to install WebOs quick install. I cant tell because WebOs Sdk and WebOs quick install both require Palm Novacom. But if its webOs quick install. All you have to do is install it. Turn on Dec Mode. Then launch WebOs Quick install. Click on file on the top left, then click on options, then attempt to reinstall novacom. Where it says Device to Use, make sure that says USB Device (for obvious reasons) and then check the box that says allow postint to run and what not. If all that doesnt work then, go get a new usb cable. Its probably the problem.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast