Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Hey if people want to be told what they can and can not do with there hardware and software then go to apple . I dont miss apple at all!
    SGIII SOON! (ATT)

Palm Pre- > HTC EVO 3D > HTC One X > Samsung GSIII

If any of my posts help you please thank me!!
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Yeah, now it's easy to do the 'research' to read about all the basic things that were left out. But what about everybody that bought this phone in June? You think we coulda had any idea what was missing?
    No disrespect, but I'm sure the information was out there even then. However, for sake of argument, if the information was sparse, then maybe the kinds of threads being addressed were warranted back then. Now, however, they're a bit ridiculous. It's almost December now.
    Quote Originally Posted by THAANSA3 View Post
    No disrespect, but I'm sure the information was out there even then. However, for sake of argument, if the information was sparse, then maybe the kinds of threads being addressed were warranted back then. Now, however, they're a bit ridiculous. It's almost December now.
    I understand ur point, but at the same time, don't you also think it's ridiculous that we still have these same issues now? Like you said, it's almost December.
    Seems to me that this a public forum for all to do with as they please, so long as they heed the moderators.

If people can start threads dictating that only "positive" takes be allowed and "negative" people must simply accept it and move to another thread...well, the inverse should be just as permissible. It isn't the mods' job - or anyone's for that matter - to ensure the forums are positive enough.

If that means something to you, then filter what you read for yourself. Like the rest of us do.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Seems to me that this a public forum for all to do with as they please, so long as they heed the moderators.

If people can start threads dictating that only "positive" takes be allowed and "negative" people must simply accept it and move to another thread...well, the inverse should be just as permissible. It isn't the mods' job - or anyone's for that matter - to ensure the forums are positive enough.

If that means something to you, then filter what you read for yourself. Like the rest of us do.
    Exactly. If you don't like it, change the channel.
    Why should users be forced to go pages into the General Chat board just to find some actual news or something interesting instead of the usual tired whining? At the moment everything is being buried under the ****. It is why, as I identified above, we desperately need a dedicated support board.

Exactly. If you don't like it, change the channel.
    This is not a Palm support board. It is not even a support board. It is not us who need to 'change the channel'. People need to either use the correct channel or PreCentral needs to create one for them. The current situation is clearly unworkable.
    From those mythical lands beyond the great USA...

It is a convergence device not mankind's disc/filmography.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Actually, there was a time when many of the posts (in the Treo days) started off with "I'm having xyz problem, what am I doing wrong".
    And that's still true in this forum. There was never a time without complaint threads in the "Central" series of forums either.

Quote Originally Posted by Tcub View Post
    I don't have an issue with complaining. Like others have said, it leads to improvements. Also when I come across a thread where someone is having issues, no matter how easy the solution is, I try and offer a solution. That helps alleviate some of negativity in the forum. Try it!
    Hey, nice solution!

Quote Originally Posted by dabro View Post
    ...and to think, it only took them about 90 years to do it! Actually, most people just accepted the risk and learned how to drive in the rain, see as how no one had ever heard of anti-lock brakes until the last 20 years or so.
    Aww - now you're making me feel old. I've been using anti-lock brakes for over 35 years - but they were on fighter jets for the first decade or so.

As usual, truer words were never spoken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teso Dos Bichos View Post
    Why should users be forced to go pages into the General Chat board just to find some actual news or something interesting instead of the usual tired whining? At the moment everything is being buried under the ****. It is why, as I identified above, we desperately need a dedicated support board.

This is not a Palm support board. It is not even a support board. It is not us who need to 'change the channel'. People need to either use the correct channel or PreCentral needs to create one for them. The current situation is clearly unworkable.
    With 15,000 threads and a new one practically every 10 minutes, this looks like one of the most workable forums i've ever been on.
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 11/30/2009 at 08:13 AM.
    Uh, reports of problems with things like picture limits, app limits, camera issues, and WiFi problems ARE NEWS and should be quite interesting to both existing owners and prospective buyers.

What's tired whining to you is immensely useful to someone else.
    With 15,000 threads and a new one practically every 10 minutes, this looks like one of the most workable forums i've ever been on.
    How can it be workable if all we have is page after page of support issues?

Uh, reports of problems with things like picture limits, app limits, camera issues, and WiFi problems ARE NEWS and should be quite interesting to both existing owners and prospective buyers.

What's tired whining to you is immensely useful to someone else.
    I do not come to this board to read the same support issues again and again. What I do come to this board for is the latest news and to discuss issues from a general perspective. It is what the board is intended for after all. There is a huge difference between issues that are news worthy and merit general discussion compared to those that we have seen flood the board. You are being very disingenuous by not recognising the clear difference.

Sadly I find it increasingly difficult to visit this board because I simply do not have the time to wade through countless support issues. It is patently clear that these support issues have overrun the board. The general chat section of any site is supposed to be the premier board, the first port of call but for PreCentral it is sadly a mess that needs to be rectified.
    From those mythical lands beyond the great USA...

It is a convergence device not mankind's disc/filmography.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    And that's still true in this forum. There was never a time without complaint threads in the "Central" series of forums either.
    Oh, I agree, there have always been the complaints, but there was a time when they were the exception rather than the rule. Now, the "what am I doing wrong" are the exception, and the "look what Palm's doing wrong" are the rule.

For grins, check out the types of posts that most (though not all) of those that are defending the complaint posts. It's pretty easy to see just why they're defensive.

Personally, I'm not an advocate of anyone doing anything about it (other than the people posting). I suspect that the whiners will eventually move on when they either feel a little less threatened in their personal decisions, or the device becomes more commonplace.
    How can it be workable if all we have is page after page of support issues?
    I don't think "support" issues are the problem, it's "complaint" issues. The support issues are pretty quickly taken care of on here (for the most part). Someone has a problem (that possibly has a solution) on here, they post it, and folks help them out.

"This phone is too slow, Palm needs to fix it", "I hate the calendar", "photos suck", "why is it only in black", "I can't find my stylus". None of those are "support" issues.
    Oh, I agree, there have always been the complaints, but there was a time when they were the exception rather than the rule. Now, the "what am I doing wrong" are the exception, and the "look what Palm's doing wrong" are the rule.

For grins, check out the types of posts that most (though not all) of those that are defending the complaint posts. It's pretty easy to see just why they're defensive.

Personally, I'm not an advocate of anyone doing anything about it (other than the people posting). I suspect that the whiners will eventually move on when they either feel a little less threatened in their personal decisions, or the device becomes more commonplace.
    I think its moreso the types of users. Treo users were more techie than mainstream as was the nature of the smartphone market during that time. More business user focused.

The Pre attracts younger former mainstream phone users and this forum reflects that a bit more now.
    I do not come to this board to read the same support issues again and again. What I do come to this board for is the latest news and to discuss issues from a general perspective. It is what the board is intended for after all. There is a huge difference between issues that are news worthy and merit general discussion compared to those that we have seen flood the board. You are being very disingenuous by not recognising the clear difference.
    It's odd. The mods seem to disagree as they allow post after post of what you would deem whining.

Personally, I don't come here to read "pep rally" threads about how dreamy the Pre is as I already purchased one and don't need moral support to continue to enjoy it. I don't think the board was "intended" for that either, and yet, I mostly stay away from said threads because my interest lies elsewhere. I don't start threads complaining about them or solicit a crackdown on them. They have every right to be here just as much as "whining" threads do.

And while those "rah rah" threads remain relatively unmolested, "whining" threads will often get anteater pics and general ridicule. Seems fair, yeah?

Sadly I find it increasingly difficult to visit this board because I simply do not have the time to wade through countless support issues. It is patently clear that these support issues have overrun the board. The general chat section of any site is supposed to be the premier board, the first port of call but for PreCentral it is sadly a mess that needs to be rectified.
    When and where was this mystical utopian Pre board that you think we need to return to? I was on TreoCentral before this site existed, and here since the day it was established. There were anti-Palm posts/threads from day 2 after the Pre announcement when it was established there'd be no microSD slot. Often repetitive and quite popular, as I recall.

The point being that critical people will post more often because they have something specific to post about, rather than "I love my Pre" or "How awesome is this device?" It's the way of most public forums.
    Then do the same for those on "the other side" of the argument. Exact same result.
    It does seem reasonable that a person can search the forums for two minutes to see if/where their palm issue is being addressed, and read up and learn, post up and participate, etc, before starting another thread on the matter. That is my two cents.

People could also, though this is not the way of the internet and anonymous participation, be civil in their descriptions and a bit more mature in their interactions--the same way they would undoubtedly do face to face.
    Then do the same for those on "the other side" of the argument. Exact same result.
    I don't agree at all. I think if you examine the posts of those defending the Pre, you'll see a lot of those same people go out of their way to help others with problems.

I think the "complainers" look at this forum as a place to vent. The "defenders" as a place to "share" about the device.
    I don't agree at all. I think if you examine the posts of those defending the Pre, you'll see a lot of those same people go out of their way to help others with problems.

I think the "complainers" look at this forum as a place to vent. The "defenders" as a place to "share" about the device.
    Completely disagree, but no surprise there. A number of people sometimes critical of the Pre (e.g. myself, Cardfan, s219) also help other members and try to add helpful technical information to discussions where we can.

You can generalize for "complainers" just as I can for "defenders", but the truth is that there are zealous posters on either "side" as well as rational ones.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=Kupe;2069748]
    Aww - now you're making me feel old. I've been using anti-lock brakes for over 35 years - but they were on fighter jets for the first decade or so.

Yeah, we had them on carriers back then. They were called "tailhooks"
    Completely disagree, but no surprise there. A number of people sometimes critical of the Pre (e.g. myself, Cardfan, s219) also help other members and try to add helpful technical information to discussions where we can.

You can generalize for "complainers" just as I can for "defenders", but the truth is that there are zealous posters on either "side" as well as rational ones.
    Hey Mikah, what about me, DBD?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast