1.    #1  
    I'll start this thread with a perfect story that illustrates the functionality of the Treo.

First, we (Voicestream, Handspring and me) have determined that my Treo must be defective somehow because the wireless data capability has stopped working. This is another story in another thread.

Anyway, I was out with my son today and I called HS Cust Service from my Treo (using Headset) to see about a replacement. They were happy to replace it with a new one on Tuesday. But, I will be out of town all week, so I needed it delivered to my wife's work address instead of my home. While on phone with HS I pulled up the Treo phone book and found that I did not have my wife's work address to give to the HS agent. Bummer....

Then I realized that I could call my wife on her cell phone (while she was getting her hair done) and put the HS agent on hold. I put the agent on hold, dialed my wife and got the address information. I was able to key it into the phone book while she spoke it to me. I hung up with her, switched back to the HS agent and gave her the address. The HS agent remarked at how clear I sounded.

All of this took place in front of Wal-Mart (parking lot) on a windy Dallas afternoon with my 3 year old son in tow.

I keep thinking, "Damn- this thing is useful and cool." Way to go Handspring.

The irony of it all is that I was calling HS in order to arrangement a replacement Treo because this one is "defective".

Anyone else with any "stories from the field"?
    Can you be more specific about your issues (i.e the other thread..or did I miss that one...??)

My Treo is turning off the radio for no good reason, and then I have to remove the SIM card to get it back on. The voicestream rep said that VS would be doing various SIM card crap over the network and that would account for weirdness, but it's getting annoying...
  3.    #3  
    I have had the mysterious turning off issue too. I hope that is resolved after VS work is complete.

My chief issue is that on Thursday I was able to dial into my ISP just fine and get the regular 9.6 speed data. I had used it this way with my VisorPhone as well. Then on Friday all of sudden I could not connect to internet. I keep getting message saying that my data services must not be enabled. I spent many hours on with Voicestream and they have reset my account at least 5 times and have no idea why I am having this problem. Data services are indeed enabled and I should not have a problem making the data call. I have the same problem using my ISP and using the Earthlink tester account that HS asked me to try-- so I know its not the ISP. I have tried using my wife's SIM card in my Treo and it doesnt work either. Apparently there is a 3rd level support engineering group no looking into my problem at Voicestream. HS didnt want to think it was a problem with the Treo, but did agree to replace it. If I get the new one and it doesnt work either then I dont know what to do. We thought that perhaps there was a circuit switching problem in Dallas area, but no one else has confirmed a similar problem.

So, I hate feeling that my Treo isn't quite up to snuff. I want to get it fixed quick. I had been hoping to use the wireless modem features while traveling next week. No such luck. My replacement will arrive while I am gone. What sucks is that it worked on Day one then stopped working.

I wonder if the SIM card "crap" you spoke of has screwed up my account somehow? ...but to VS has reset my account multiple times and it has not helped. I'm guessing the wireless modem capability just crapped out.

I love the darn thing though!
  4.    #4  
    The thread I mentioned is called "Voicestream Data Services- not ISDN".
    If the phone function is turning off by itself, then the Treo has a defect. I had a problem similar to this with my VisorPhone and got it replaced.
    Originally posted by yardie
    If the phone function is turning off by itself, then the Treo has a defect. I had a problem similar to this with my VisorPhone and got it replaced.
    DAMN! Well, it's gone probably 18 hours with no bugs just yet... so I'm thinking it was just the firmware updates... We'll see...
    So is the Treo just a VisorPhone fused into a Visor for a smaller size? Is there any additional functionality? Better software? Better microphone? I have a Visor Prism and VisorPhone and I am planning to wait for the color edition but I wonder if either is worth it.
    Originally posted by snackdog
    So is the Treo just a VisorPhone fused into a Visor for a smaller size? Is there any additional functionality? Better software? Better microphone? I have a Visor Prism and VisorPhone and I am planning to wait for the color edition but I wonder if either is worth it.
    Better mic, better speaker, better system software, MUCH better controls, keyboard.