1.    #1  
    Hey!

While trying to figure out what all the connections to the outside world my Pre is making (one makes no sense which is food for another thread because it's off the topic in this one), I decided to scan it from teh outside and got this:

Code:
    PORT     STATE SERVICE                                                             
    554/tcp  open  rtsp                                                                
    7070/tcp open  realserver                                                          

Read data files from: /usr/share/nmap
    Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 4.18 seconds
               Raw packets sent: 2000 (88.000KB) | Rcvd: 4 (176B)
    Those ports are for RealMedia streaming! I can't post links yet (< 10 posts ATM), but a simple Google search will show that. Why is my Pre opening RealMedia Streaming ports? Is my camera available to the outside world?

Anyone else notice this? Is this known and I'm just late to the party?

M.
    Good question and may be something on the horizon.
    Port 554 looks like it's for the YouTube app. Not sure about 7070...
    7070 realserver, Real media player?
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

5.    #5  
    Yes. It's RealMedia's SERVER. It's not needed to be staticly open to stream files coming in. That's for SERVING RealMedia files to clients which is I'm really raising an eyebrow on this one!

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Yes. It's RealMedia's SERVER. It's not needed to be staticly open to stream files coming in. That's for SERVING RealMedia files to clients which is I'm really raising an eyebrow on this one!

M.
    Understood.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Actually this raises some other security questions...has any of you Linux junkies dug into what port are open since the Pre is technically Linux underneath.

I used to run checks on workstations after initial installations to patch and lock things down and I can imagine something is running that doesn't need to be???

Just a thought and thanks for the input. Sorli....