Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

What about phone availabilty in Canada? I asked Fido and they have no clue...

I might have to buy a treo from Seattle (which could take a while because the Treo may take while to hit Retail Stores) and buy a plan in Vancouver!

Thanks!

g-girl
    thought you might be interested in the unsatisfying answers I received from Fido and Handspring this week

From Fido (in reponse to my request for info pricing, plan(s), availability)
    I quote ...
    "Fido is always looking to provide its customers with the best new and innovative services at the lowest price possible. For strategic reasons, our marketing department will release information about the Handspring Treo 180 at the very last minute . Therefore, we cannot reveal any detail regarding
    this upcoming service. We are aware that at this point in time, Microcell will be the Canadian carrier that will support the service. Nonetheless, no official street date has been announced by our marketing department."

Asking Hanspring about who to contact (Fido or Rogers - given that both are referenced on their (Handspring) site - Fido on main page and Rogers AT&T when you try to send e-mail for help-, I got this useful response again quoted ...
    "Thank you for your interest in purchasing Treo Communicator. We are expecting Treo to be available in Canada for purchase in 2002. For further assistance please call the Customer Care team at 1-888-565-9393 during the hours of 6am to 6pm PST Monday through Friday, and 9am to 1pm Saturday."

Words that adequately express my thoughts, and that can be used here, fail me

There seems to be more substance than mere rumour that Rogers will have product / plans available March 15th

To say that I am disappointed in the available 'official' information is an understatement. I hope it is not a harbinger of how Handspring's marketing will be executed.
    Canadians can buy the Treo right now at the unsubsidized price. Thos that managed to get a VisorPhone will also be abel to buy the phone NOW at the subsidized price. i believe the phone will be offered by Rogers with contract at the subsidized price. As for FIDO, I suspect that they are going to offer bundles of some kind to sign up new customers.
  4.    #4  
    Hi all,

got a reply from Rogers... They will release the Treo in Canada Spring 2002... Although spring here is the 21st of March it will most likely come here in mid-April...

Thanks!

g-girl
    My Treo is working like a charm with FIDO in Toronto.
  6.    #6  
    Hi,

Is fido in Toronto already selling the Treo? If not I assume you bought the treo with no service plan from HS and then bought the service plan separately...

Thanks!

g-girl
    No. I bought Treo on VisorPhone discount. I was already using FIDO with VisorPhone. All I did was switch SIM Cards. FIDO does not know that I am using a Treo.

Originally posted by g-girl
    Hi,

Is fido in Toronto already selling the Treo? If not I assume you bought the treo with no service plan from HS and then bought the service plan separately...

Thanks!

g-girl
    Originally posted by yardie
    FIDO does not know that I am using a Treo.
    Mu-hahahaha! We shall subvert the corporate monsters using their own networks! We mock their ignorance and inability to stay upon the cutting edge of technology! No longer shall they use us for our money and productive capabilities, we shall use them until we own the means of production ourselves! Treo owners of the world, unite!

Ack. Punchy.

...must...stop...posting...
    You can use Treo or visor Phone with fido in Canada. You just need a service from Fido. Plug your SIM card and ready to go. Make sure that you have data service for Internet.
    Neo
  10.    #10  
    yardie:

How much are you paying Fido in connection costs...

Total Cost per month? (Voice, Data)...

Thanks!

g-girl
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn

Mu-hahahaha! We shall subvert the corporate monsters using their own networks! We mock their ignorance and inability to stay upon the cutting edge of technology! No longer shall they use us for our money and productive capabilities, we shall use them until we own the means of production ourselves! Treo owners of the world, unite!

Ack. Punchy.

...must...stop...posting...

Hahah Dietrichbohn...how do you do it? How do you have a wife, go to school, work and find time to live on VC? Whats your secret? Is DietrichBohn actually three persons - Diet, Rich and Bohn? Just checking
    I am paying $35 bucks a month (+Tax and system access fee). The $30 plan give you unlimited evenings and weekends + 100 day time minutes. The $5 is the data access fee. The actual data usage is deducted from your 100 day time minutes.

IN case you are wondering, the unlimited evenings and weekends minutes does not apply to data calls.

yardie:

How much are you paying Fido in connection costs...

Total Cost per month? (Voice, Data)...

Thanks!

g-girl
    that's less than $3.13 /mos in U$ right ? ;-)

seriously maybe I can afford Treo afterall. Your plan much less than my CDMA carrier.

Couple of questions though ... the /minute rate above the 100
    and more importantly your comments about data access experience using the Treo & Fido ?

The other concern I have is the scope of GSM coverage with Fido. Really don't want to have to keep another phone when outside of the metro Toronto or other major centres along 401 corridor ?

I want the Treo ... talk me into it Yardie ;-)
    Treo is Awesome Confused. This is what I always wanted a PDA to be! FIDO is good int eh city. I do not travel outside teh city much so I dont knwo what the service is like outside the megacity. If you travel a lot our of town, I would recommend that you wait for Rogers to carry the phone. There GSM Network is going to be the same if not better than their current TDMA network..according to their claims..so they should be better than FIDO.

Data Services is slow at 9,.6kbps but good for retrievcing mail and browsing PDA/WAP sites. It will be a much bettert experience once Handspring rolls out the GPRS upgrade..can't wait. It takes me about 10 seconds to connect to my ISP (Sympatico).

Let me know if you have any more questions.
    cost per minute once you go over your plan's 100 ?

Is SMS a freebie or pay per message (sent & received) or ?

So with Fido your only access to net is via whatever dial up ISP you have for landline ?

thanks for feedback
  16.    #16  
    Hi Yardie,

Thanks for the feedback...

I have a few questions...

When I inquired (here in Vancouver) to fido about GSM costs they informed me about the various voice plans that start from $25... Then you have to purchase a GPRS plan to give you data access... These plans start from $20 and give you 2MB of data... They did not mention anything about the $5 data access fee...

Could you please elorborate on the various plans...

Thanks!

g-girl
    The cost per minuet when you ogo over 100 minutes is $0.20

SMS is 10 cents per message. You can buy an unlimited SMS package for $8

You need to have an dialup ISP to dial into. FIDO only provides te data services for the phone.

Buzz me again if you got anymore questions.

Originally posted by Confused
    cost per minute once you go over your plan's 100 ?

Is SMS a freebie or pay per message (sent & received) or ?

So with Fido your only access to net is via whatever dial up ISP you have for landline ?

thanks for feedback
    G-Girl.

If you want GPRS when the Treo Upgrade is released, then it is better to get one of their business plans with GPRS included for $45. You do not need GPRS to access the current 9.6 kbps connection that I am now using. All you need is data services for $5. They probably know nothing about the Treo so you have to call them and tell them to activate regular data services for 5 bucks a month. They have the same rates throughout Canada...see www.fido.ca.

Let me know if you have any more specific questions.

Hi Yardie,

Thanks for the feedback...

I have a few questions...

When I inquired (here in Vancouver) to fido about GSM costs they informed me about the various voice plans that start from $25... Then you have to purchase a GPRS plan to give you data access... These plans start from $20 and give you 2MB of data... They did not mention anything about the $5 data access fee...

Could you please elorborate on the various plans...

Thanks!

g-girl
    Originally posted by yardie
    The cost per minuet when you ogo over 100 minutes is $0.20
    Oh, come off it. The ring tones aren't that good!
    20 cents for a full minuet is a very 'sound' deal

besides ... that's Canadian about 3 cents US
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast