Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41
  1. br8kwall's Avatar
    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
       #1  
    What are the chances that these super low prices for Pres (e.g., Amazon) we are seeing is the result of Palm preparing the next version of the Pre and Palm is just clearing the channels? Should I wait a little longer before taking the plunge?
  2. #2  
    I don't think they will be able to keep anything under wraps as well as the pre. There will probably be leaks way before any new pre hits the market
  3. #3  
    I doubt it.
  4. #4  
    I'm thinking more along the lines that retailers want to get rid of inventory that isn't selling enough.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by lars7575 View Post
    I don't think they will be able to keep anything under wraps as well as the pre. There will probably be leaks way before any new pre hits the market
    Palm did a pretty good job keeping the Pre under wraps. But they do need a new high end device soon (let's just say they can't wait til June and a Pre2)
  6. #6  
    OR...they could be getting ready to release a bunch of games like Need for Speed into the app catalog and they want to make sure that it's a big success.... hehe
  7. #7  
    or it could be that it's Christmas time.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    or it could be that it's Christmas time.
    Nah, that's crazy talk. They would have raised prices first, then lowered them almost back to where they were just prior to the price hike.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    or it could be that it's Christmas time.
    This.
  10. puggo63
    puggo63's Avatar
    #10  
    I think because of the fierce competition from Apple and all the new Android phones, they need a major edge which will be price. Palm desperatedly needs to update the Pre already - beef up the construction/quality (i.e. make it all metal), maybe change its design, change the horribly cramped keyboard and increase battery life. I have a friend who works at Best Buy and Pre is not selling well at all - they have tons in inventory.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    or it could be that it's Christmas time.
    Which is why we're seeing reduced prices for Droid, iphone, etc. Oh wait..
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I'm thinking more along the lines that retailers want to get rid of inventory that isn't selling enough.
    If Palm was cutting prices to draw customers, you'd think they advertise the heck out of it. I almost believe that cardfan has the more likely scenario.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Palm did a pretty good job keeping the Pre under wraps. But they do need a new high end device soon (let's just say they can't wait til June and a Pre2)
    They have a high end device in the Pre(supposedly). They need to get the OS up to snuff, there is no reason to rush out a 2nd Pre right now, having the Pre and the Pixi is more than enough.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    They have a high end device in the Pre(supposedly). They need to get the OS up to snuff, there is no reason to rush out a 2nd Pre right now, having the Pre and the Pixi is more than enough.
    No, it is not.

    I was one of the loudest defenders of the 8GB onboard limited memory decision pre-launch, but when Droid comes with 16GB MINIMUM and iPhones are double and quadruple that, Pre is NOT in the same ballpark (Yup, I was wrong). A 3.1-inch screen with 480x320 resolution is going to look pretty crappy when Droid is at a much higher resolution with WAY more real estate and iPhone will likely up their resolution and/or add AMOLED to the refresh six months from now. HTC has new Android kit on the way with a Snapdragon and higher resolution as well.

    That's another problem for Palm. They keep shooting to match or better what's on the market at present - like they did with the Pre vs. the iPhone 3G - and as soon as they make it to market, superior devices are already there or just around the corner.

    That's why the Pre can't demand premium pricing beyond the first couple of months.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by puggo63 View Post
    Palm desperatedly needs to update the Pre already - beef up the construction/quality (i.e. make it all metal), maybe change its design, change the horribly cramped keyboard and increase battery life.
    Excuse me but did you just say all metal?? Are you nuts? Absolutely not! I love my sleek lil PrPrPr&#$275$; $just$ $the$ $way$ $it$ $is$. $You$ $keep$ $your$ $grubby$ $hands$ $out$ $of$ $the$ $design$ $specs$.


    (Sorry for going so smiley crazy - it's 11am and I've been up since yesterday. I'm a wee bit slap happy. )
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    They have a high end device in the Pre(supposedly). They need to get the OS up to snuff, there is no reason to rush out a 2nd Pre right now, having the Pre and the Pixi is more than enough.
    It has the chip, but not sure most would perceive the Pre as high end. Mix in falling prices and there ya go. I'd put it in the same class as the Hero/Eris.

    The iphone was playing by itself til the Droid came along. These two really represent high end. The Droid does because of its screen, chip, and build more than anything else. The iphone is because its the iphone.

    Is there a need for another Pre? Heck no. Wait til June. Is there a need for a 3rd webOS device (big screen) that aims toward being that high end? Sure there is. The only question is whether a third is too much too soon for Palm to do. I already thought the Pixi was too soon. But in launching the Pixi, they have laid some ground work to support multiple form factors. CES is coming soon. And they're free to launch on Verizon.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    It has the chip, but not sure most would perceive the Pre as high end. Mix in falling prices and there ya go. I'd put it in the same class as the Hero/Eris.

    The iphone was playing by itself til the Droid came along. These two really represent high end. The Droid does because of its screen, chip, and build more than anything else. The iphone is because its the iphone.

    Is there a need for another Pre? Heck no. Wait til June. Is there a need for a 3rd webOS device (big screen) that aims toward being that high end? Sure there is. The only question is whether a third is too much too soon for Palm to do. I already thought the Pixi was too soon. But in launching the Pixi, they have laid some ground work to support multiple form factors. CES is coming soon. And they're free to launch on Verizon.
    The only way Palm could present a "high end" phone right now is if it was in the iPhone form factor, virtually no moving parts, a large screen, on-screen keyboard. Maybe it's doable, but to have the virtual keyboard work properly in all areas of the OS, it'd have to be revamped quite a bit, just look at how rough the current virtual keyboard still is. Messaging app would need to be rewritten, browser would need attention, email app, anything with a text box, it's a big change, so I don't see that happening, and I don't see them coming out with a Droid type device either, too many working parts, and we've seen how they do already with sliders, does Palm really want to relive that? The Pre looks like a high end phone, physically speaking, the price drops online aren't known to everyone, I'd say a very small percentage know about them, otherwise people think it's a $150 phone at Sprint, and they also think the Pixi is a $99 phone. Only tech savvy know how to get the phones cheaper.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    The only way Palm could present a "high end" phone right now is if it was in the iPhone form factor, virtually no moving parts, a large screen, on-screen keyboard. Maybe it's doable, but to have the virtual keyboard work properly in all areas of the OS, it'd have to be revamped quite a bit, just look at how rough the current virtual keyboard still is. Messaging app would need to be rewritten, browser would need attention, email app, anything with a text box, it's a big change, so I don't see that happening, and I don't see them coming out with a Droid type device either, too many working parts, and we've seen how they do already with sliders, does Palm really want to relive that? The Pre looks like a high end phone, physically speaking, the price drops online aren't known to everyone, I'd say a very small percentage know about them, otherwise people think it's a $150 phone at Sprint, and they also think the Pixi is a $99 phone. Only tech savvy know how to get the phones cheaper.
    Best Buy has the Pre for 79.00 coming soon to a black friday near you. We can disagree on this if you want. IMO, a big high res screen is a huge feature if you want to be high end. Without that, i don't think the Droid is a Droid and instead just another android device among the Hero, Magic, etc that managed to be updated first with 2.0.

    I agree though that a slab would be some work for Palm. But Palm has had the Pre and Pixi done for sometime. Let's hope they've been busy? Though some may not want this form factor, I think of it like facebook. I don't really care for facebook, but i recognize how important it is to have that app out and polished. And it doesn't mean abandoning the Pre for all the Pre fans.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Best Buy has the Pre for 79.00 coming soon to a black friday near you. We can disagree on this if you want. IMO, a big high res screen is a huge feature if you want to be high end. Without that, i don't think the Droid is a Droid and instead just another android device among the Hero, Magic, etc that managed to be updated first with 2.0.

    I agree though that a slab would be some work for Palm. But Palm has had the Pre and Pixi done for sometime. Let's hope they've been busy? Though some may not want this form factor, I think of it like facebook. I don't really care for facebook, but i recognize how important it is to have that app out and polished. And it doesn't mean abandoning the Pre for all the Pre fans.
    I hope they have their crap together by my next upgrade, because I really like webOS. The Pre at BB for 79 for Black Friday is just a 1 day deal, if it were at BB for that price from now on, you'd have more of a point.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    I hope they have their crap together by my next upgrade, because I really like webOS. The Pre at BB for 79 for Black Friday is just a 1 day deal, if it were at BB for that price from now on, you'd have more of a point.
    It's not just price alone. It's screen size, build, lack of apps, 8gb storage etc. People don't care about processors in general (jmo). Even marketing & reviews have an effect.

    Best 5 cell phones | Top cell phones - CNET Reviews

    Thought that link was interesting because the Pre isn't listed. It's certainly not my top 5 list and i don't agree with it. But it is telling how Palm is being perceived right now. Lower than a featurephone like the instink? And they're all slabs or landscape sliders besides the blackberry.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions