Keep in mind that Palm doubled the memory in the Centro from 64 to 128 mb, and still called it the Centro. I wouldn't be surprised if they did the same thing for the Pre. To be honest, the 8GB limit is the only reason I haven't gotten one yet, and probably will whenever one is available. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with the Pre hardware, and there's not much of anything else I can think of that I want in a phone - hardware wise, at least.

I'm sort of undecided about a slab form factor. Personally, I have no interest in one, but it could very well be beneficial to Palm. One of Handspring, then Palm's biggest selling point to me, and probably a lot of Palm owners - was the vertical qwerty keyboard. That's probably a good bit of their market - so if they're trying to expand their market share, they should look at things outside of the interests of their traditional customer base.

The thing is - it's probably not effective to go beyond a certain number of models at any one time. They can probably handle two - they've been doing that with their PalmOS and Windows Mobile lines for years, with a few hiccups along the way. I'm not sure how much further beyond they can take it without losing money or spreading their development resources too thin.