Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Which is why we're seeing reduced prices for Droid, iphone, etc. Oh wait..
    Motorola Droid Price Cut | Telecom | Financial Articles & Investing News | TheStreet.com

Yeah - Oh wait..
    yeah, exactly. the first line of the article is

NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- In an effort to goose holiday sales, prices of Verizon's (VZ Quote) Motorola (MOT Quote) Droid are getting chopped online.
    and then it goes on to say the sales pace of the Droid are on par with the Pre's initial sales.

i love *******/haters.
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    ...then it goes on to say the sales pace of the Droid are on par with the Pre's initial sales.
    Actually, I'm not overly impressed with the article, as it plays a little loose with the numbers. For instance, the $80 price at Amazon is only for a new plan. Granted, Best Buy is going to have it a similar price for renewals on Friday, but the article is a bit misleading.

Also, it doesn't focus enough on the timing of the Droid pricing. Is this going to be the new price? If so, that doesn't bode well; however, if it's just a holiday special, welcome to the wonderful world of consumer electronics at Christmas time. High demand prices tend to hold, everything else drops like a rock.

But it does blow a hole in the implication of the "Oh wait" post, and that's so much fun to do on here...
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Actually, I'm not overly impressed with the article, as it plays a little loose with the numbers. For instance, the $80 price at Amazon is only for a new plan. Granted, Best Buy is going to have it a similar price for renewals on Friday, but the article is a bit misleading.

Also, it doesn't focus enough on the timing of the Droid pricing. Is this going to be the new price? If so, that doesn't bode well; however, if it's just a holiday special, welcome to the wonderful world of consumer electronics at Christmas time. High demand prices tend to hold, everything else drops like a rock.

But it does blow a hole in the implication of the "Oh wait" post, and that's so much fun to do on here...
    Not really. Verizon didn't chop any prices. As you said, those are online sales with a catch..must be new customer.

And as mentioned after that post you quoted, price is merely one factor of what i was talking about anyways so it really doesn't matter to nitpick it.
    Not really. Verizon didn't chop any prices. As you said, those are online sales with a catch..must be new customer.

And as mentioned after that post you quoted, price is merely one factor of what i was talking about anyways so it really doesn't matter to nitpick it.
    and apples to oranges, where did Sprint chop prices?

Do what?? By that standard "Verizion didn't chop any prices", then the Pre is where it's always been, since Sprint didn't chop any prices.

Face it guy, you spouted off, and got busted, don't try to weasle out. When you compare oranges to oranges, both devices got cut.
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    and apples to oranges, where did Sprint chop prices?
    Best Buy..or a store you can go to and walk out with a price cut Pre as an upgrade.

I don't see them offering an iphone or droid at any special price..
    Do what?? By that standard "Verizion didn't chop any prices", then the Pre is where it's always been, since Sprint didn't chop any prices.

Face it guy, you spouted off, and got busted, don't try to weasle out. When you compare oranges to oranges, both devices got cut.
    BestBuy didn't chop any prices for the droid. Is that better?
    Last edited by cardfan; 11/24/2009 at 03:07 PM.
    Sprint officially cut the Pre price to $150 3 months after launch.

Droid hasn't been out near that long, and Verizon has NOT cut the price, so there isn't an orange-to-orange comparison possible.

But cardfan was objectively correct, no matter how uneven the comparison may seem to be to others.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    But cardfan was objectively correct, no matter how uneven the comparison may seem to be to others.
    No actually, he was objectively incorrect. His implication was that there were no Droid or iPhone price cuts because of the holidays (or for any reason). That is objectively incorrect.

He didn't state or imply that the carrier had not cut it. As a matter of fact, he goes on to talk about Best Buy cutting prices.

At the time he made the comment, the only seller mentioned by name was Amazon.

CardFan's first reponse was that he was thinking that it had more to do with retailers wanting to get rid of inventory because it's not selling enough. Again, the only retailer mentioned was Amazon, whose Pre price is online for a new plan.

Then it was offered up that it may be because of holiday pricing.

He nixed that (or attempted to).

However, the fact remains that the Droid's price is already falling, a mere three weeks out.

So, which is it - Holiday pricing, or more along the lines that retailers want to get rid of inventory that isn't selling enough?
    No actually, he was objectively incorrect. His implication was that there were no Droid or iPhone price cuts because of the holidays (or for any reason). That is objectively incorrect.

He didn't state or imply that the carrier had not cut it. As a matter of fact, he goes on to talk about Best Buy cutting prices.

At the time he made the comment, the only seller mentioned by name was Amazon.

CardFan's first reponse was that he was thinking that it had more to do with retailers wanting to get rid of inventory because it's not selling enough. Again, the only retailer mentioned was Amazon, whose Pre price is online for a new plan.

Then it was offered up that it may be because of holiday pricing.

He nixed that (or attempted to).

However, the fact remains that the Droid's price is already falling, a mere three weeks out.

So, which is it - Holiday pricing, or more along the lines that retailers want to get rid of inventory that isn't selling enough?
    I don't consider any of those online places as significant in terms of sales because there's so many strings attached. The majority buy from a carrier store or other brick & mortar store such as Best Buy. I picked BestBuy because they're the only B&M store i know of who will offer the Pre on a heavy discount soon.

Typically such a store offers a steep discount to move inventory. The OP asked if it might be because of a new Pre later. That's probably not why BB is offering a discount.

I probably could have explained things better instead of being cute about it. Sorry... There's my reasoning..have at it..
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Folks, before you get into details , let me tell you the reason why retailers cut the price on "New Contracts".

They are bringing new revenue to SPRINT. Which is typically 1600 dollars ( on a 69.99 two year contracts). Assuming that they make 10% of it , i.e. $ 160, they can afford to give 50 dollars back to the customers and still make 100 bucks or so.

Sprint is happy, Bestbuy is happy, Customer is happy and PALM is Happy.

The issue is , this will kill the profit margins.
    So they have to sell more phone / contract combination to make more profit ( on low margins ).

It doesn't matter its a DROID or Pre or Instink
    retailers will cut the prices.

But the same cannot be said about the iPhone though.
    Because there is a demand and name for it.
    yet more bickering because someone decided to jump on and post their wishful thinking without having any evidence, or even knowledge of the wireless industry and its cycles, of a new device coming out.

Palm still has to release their Verizon version as well as their GSM flavors for AT&T and the like.

i'll go ahead and make this outlandish claim though....expect a Palm Pre 2 before February because retailers will most definitely want to take advantage of the romanticism of giving a cell phone as a gift.
    <moved>

I think there might be an updated version of the Pre for verizon with 16Gb storage etc that may be released early 2010 followed by eventual release on Sprint. It would annoy a lot of existing users but would make sense to keep the Pre competitive...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaurav View Post
    <moved>

I think there might be an updated version of the Pre for verizon with 16Gb storage etc that may be released early 2010 followed by eventual release on Sprint. It would annoy a lot of existing users but would make sense to keep the Pre competitive...
    You might be right about what Verizon offers. I for one wouldn't be annoyed. But then, I've been in the geek bidness long enough that I've pretty much adopted the attitude that if you get annoyed becuase something "one - upped" you, you're going to walk around annoyed a lot.

Hey... that might explain some things around here....

At any rate, I hope Verizion does a step up. I'd be glad to see something with more memory (maybe a Pre+). If they stuck to something as basic as memory, that would enable Sprint to offer a Pre II with major differences later.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Great responses all. I'm not a device scholar so markets always baffle. My thinking most in line with these last posts that Verizon/Palm might want to spice up the offering a little bit over what Sprint currently has out. Then Spring could follow later. It would give Palm the opportunity to maybe workout some of the hardware issues I think I've read about. But, as an existing Sprint customer, the Amazon thing doesn't help me. So, I'll wait and maybe come February there will be a little more visibility.

Or, do I have another question? Is there a conference or other milestone that Palm might be likely to release Pre+/PreII/PostPre/ApresPre? They've made (tried) their splash, so would a big release at CES make any sense at this point?
    Even marketing & reviews have an effect.

Best 5 cell phones | Top cell phones - CNET Reviews

Thought that link was interesting because the Pre isn't listed.
    Interestingly enough, the Pre is listed in a top 5 smartphones article on the same site:

Best smartphones - CNET Reviews

Of course, the iPhone and the Droid are both listed on Best 5 Cell Phones, Best Smartphones, Best mp3 Phones, AND Best Video Phones, while the Pre gets one lonely mention at the bottom of Best Smartphones. (Oh, and Best Sprint Phone, but it's not like the iPhone or the Droid can compete in that category anyway.) *sigh* We get no love. It's very sad, really.

It's interesting to note that all of the lists except Best Smartphones have Kent German listed as the senior editor, while Best Smartphones has Bonnie Cha listed. Perhaps someone at cnet is a wee bit biased? I know it's supposed to be an unbiased site, but everyone's human, eh? Anyway, sorry, this is waaaaaaaaaay off topic. I just found it interesting.
    The sale price means almost nothing....the pre is subsidized....palm will get its money from sprint regardless of the initial sales price... and all sprint wants is more new contracts because each one is worth $1000+ to them over the lifetime of the contract...
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    let's cleat some misconceptions.

1. Pre is #1 selling device on amazon right now and is going for $80 so you can get it for 80 somewhere other than best buy.

2. The original poster's prediction about an updated pre is correct. Don't you guys remember the analyst reports in the last few weeks saying not only that verizon is bringing the pre early next yr, but that it's bringing a "refreshed Pre"? I'm guessing more memory or sd card slot...
    Quote Originally Posted by johndoeii View Post
    let's cleat some misconceptions.

1. Pre is #1 selling device on amazon right now and is going for $80 so you can get it for 80 somewhere other than best buy.

2. The original poster's prediction about an updated pre is correct. Don't you guys remember the analyst reports in the last few weeks saying not only that verizon is bringing the pre early next yr, but that it's bringing a "refreshed Pre"? I'm guessing more memory or sd card slot...
    I think of a new Pre as a Pre 2. A bumped up Pre to 16gb isn't worth talking about. That was expected to be honest and i'm surprised we've not seen it for the holidays. A storage bump does nothing for me. Even so, you wouldn't flush Sprint inventory for a new Pre 1 on a different carrier.

Regarding the amazon price. It's for new customers. It may be the top seller on amazon but what part of sales is this for sprint? Can't be much. That's not flushing inventory but just trying to offer some reason to buy online.

Anyways, my whole point was that Palm won't have a Pre 2 (on Sprint) til late spring if they maintain an annual cycle. But that's not to say they couldn't introduce a new 3rd form factor this winter/early spring. It's probably wishful thinking. But the ground work is laid, opportunity is there, and only Palm knows what Palm is doing.

Really, it's hard to predict Palm. They're too apt to go the bizarro route at any time. Itunes sync, weird commercials, Pixi, etc.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast