1.    #1  
    Would it be at all possible to emulate webos on a very small computer?

I want to put a laptop/desktop in my kitchen somewhere with a touchscreen, and I was just thinking that having webOS on it would do everything I need it to do...

I guess I just want to be able to swipe stuff. I swiped an iphone the other day, and when it didn't do anything I asked my friend how the hell do I get back to the last screen? It's just so intuitive!
    The Palm Tablet or maybe the Pre-let. I'll start the rumor now! I actually think it would be great and look a heck of alot better than vanilla android on some big screen.
    this makes no sense to meeee...
    If you found a table with the same chipset, that would be a place to start. Although the SDK Emulator is WebOS running on Intel platform. So you might be able to hack that bigger on a lightweight Atom based system.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodgingbrom View Post
    Would it be at all possible to emulate webos on a very small computer?

I want to put a laptop/desktop in my kitchen somewhere with a touchscreen, and I was just thinking that having webOS on it would do everything I need it to do...

I guess I just want to be able to swipe stuff. I swiped an iphone the other day, and when it didn't do anything I asked my friend how the hell do I get back to the last screen? It's just so intuitive!
    I've thought about this a lot too. I would love to have a small Atom PC and a 15" touch screen mounted inside a wall in my house. Would feel all futuristic, especially running webos. Actually, a specific webos for a bigger screen would rock. I would get a kick out of card view and grabbing two cards at once and moving them around, be all minority reporty.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    I've thought about this a lot too. I would love to have a small Atom PC and a 15" touch screen mounted inside a wall in my house. Would feel all futuristic, especially running webos. Actually, a specific webos for a bigger screen would rock. I would get a kick out of card view and grabbing two cards at once and moving them around, be all minority reporty.
    Exactly! Hell, voice activated too. This would be an absolute wonder to use, especially with everything I'm reading about the google chrome OS. It just seems too....webby.

I wonder if you could just hack the output from a pre to a larger screen?
    <moved>

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    So you basically want the Foleo right ?

Actually, it should be possible. QEMU can emulate an ARM platform - that may or may not be enough to run WebOS. But it would be interesting to at least try to run the luna application under QEMU on linux. It may or may not work - you may or may not run into issues with missing drivers, but it's worth a look.

That's actually the approach the Android emulator takes, as opposed to Palm's compiling the WebOS for intel for use in the emulator. But just curious - have you tried using the WebOS emulator? Does it support user defined screen sizes?
  9.    #9  
    I've been playing with the emulator on and off today, I'm not a programmer, but it doesn't let you mess with the screen size. I've dabbled in linux, but most of what you said is greek to me. Seems I have quite a bit of reading to do, but then again I have a few great ideas for an app or two so I really should just hunker down and take a javascript class. Anything to get this ported to a PC!