Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I ordered mine 02/20/2002, shipped 02/22/02, received 02/25.
    I ignored the upgrade instructions on the Handspring site, after
    looking at the CD enclosed. I'm already running HS desktop 4.0.1
    and HotSync 3.1, so I didn't install anything new.
    I also have Chapura's PocketMirror Pro 3.1.1 to facilitate Outlook

First HotSync went with no problems, except that almost none
    of my 3rd party apps (DateBk4, QuickOffice, more) moved over.
    Had to install them fresh, but after that I'm all good.

A little more tweaking and I'll be running at full speed.

My roommate reports that the phone part sounds better
    than the VisorPhone.

The screen is notably smaller- the Treo body is just barely wider
    and about 1" longer than the SCREEN on my Deluxe. You can guess how much smaller the screen is.

But very clear and the greyscale is nice. Now I need to chop
    down a WriteRight to protect my new baby.

Any more detail you got?

-G
    Another update, mine's still Pending, so I called support (first time for me) with the excuse that it was supposed to ship out today the 25th. They told me it should be shipping in the next 10-12 business days. Gee, how nice of them. Obviously they have no idea. Gimme my treo!
    I received an e-mail last night that my VS plan was "approved" and now my status says "Preparing Order"...
    Got mine yesterday morning (ordered 2/12, standard shipping).

I too ignored the upgrade instructions, running HS desktop 4.0.1 , HotSync 3.1 and Intellisync 4 with Outlook. This took a little more tweaking in setup, but my first Hot-Sync went fine and I was up and running in no time.

Many third party apps set as 'copy protected' and won't install on a restore mode hot-sync. I use Filez (www.nosleep.net) to change the file attributes.

I got the graffiti version, since can't see myself punching those little buttons with my fat fingers. Also, I am already very fast at graffiti in English, and use graffiti in Russian too.

Impressions: Surprisingly light-weight. Like the color. Like the fat stylus, but it seems too short. I want a belt clip. I need to RTFM and figure out how to get the phone to come up to the dial-pad and not speed dial. But generally: I love my new toy!

BTW, to give my Visor to my wife without doing a hard reset and reloading everything, I used ChangeName (www.mulliner.org/palm) to change the username and user id on the Visor. Worked great.
    Last edited by Falstaff; 02/27/2002 at 07:44 AM.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Hi all,

Ordered mine: 2/13 4:25PST
    Treo 180 with Cingular activation
    Plus travel charger.

Here's when it shipped:

Feb 26 2002 9:36 am Delivered. Irvine, CA
    7:57 am Arrived at Airborne. Irvine, CA
    2:25 am Left Airborne. wilmington, OH

Feb 25 2002 9:08 pm Picked up by Airborne. Shipper's Door

Both Treo and Charger arrived.

Still figuring it out but so far so good.

Call this number to activate Cingular service: 1-800-393-7267

Have fun!
    Has anyone started to receive their orders with VS service yet?
    I have an issue which may only effect us broadband customers. My ISP is Comcast over broadband. My email server is within Comcasts' domain space. Works fine over broad band.

My ISP (Comcast) does not yet provide dial-up access. So I set my Treo up to dial up my secondary ISP Earthlink. Works ok but a little slow.

I cannot get from Earthlink into my email domain space completely, however. I can logon to the comcast incoming mail server so in theory I could get my mail, but I am prevented from doing so because the Treo keeps trying to contact Comcasts outgoing server for sending mail. I tired replacing that with Earthlinks's outgoing server but no deal.

Anybody know someone I can bounce off of to send mail?

Thanks
    CP
    sparkle,

No one (that I've heard of) has gotten their Treo with new VS activation. Our orders show "preparing order", and Mon. night (2/25) I got an e-mail saying VS had approved my plan...

The wait continues...

(ordered 2/11 @ 7:20 am PST)
    Originally posted by ddenson
    No one (that I've heard of) has gotten their Treo with new VS activation. Our orders show "preparing order", and Mon. night (2/25) I got an e-mail saying VS had approved my plan...
    Well, if they're delaying VoiceStream, they (VS & HS) shouldn't. Since I won mine in the contest & got it w/ no service plan, they sent it right away. Here in MN, it works just fine with VoiceStream.
    If you recall, the original message on the site (on 2/11, at least) said VS orders would begin to ship the week of 2/25. When I called to get the story, I was told there was an initial delay in getting SIM cards from VS. They seem to be on track with their original estimate so, although I'm not happy about waiting, I didn't expect delivery before this week anyway.

BTW, congrats on the freebie. My wife is going to kill me when the bill comes, but some things are worth taking abuse for.
    I cannot get from Earthlink into my email domain space completely, however. I can logon to the comcast incoming mail server so in theory I could get my mail, but I am prevented from doing so because the Treo keeps trying to contact Comcasts outgoing server for sending mail. I tired replacing that with Earthlinks's outgoing server but no deal.
    I think Earthlink restricts outgoing mail to prevent spam. I had the same problem after signing up for earthlink - couldn't configure Outlook Express to send email through my Earthlink account. Luckily, I already had a Yahoo! email account, which can be retrieved via standard POP3 access.

I'd suggest signing up for a free Yahoo! email account and just use that. I think you could set up your Earthlink mail to forward to your Yahoo! address, that way you could still receive email at your Earthlink address, but use the Yahoo! SMTP server for sending mail. You can even configure the One Touch client on the Treo so that it shows your Earthlink email address in the header, even though you're using the Yahoo! email account.

I'd suggest looking into the Yahoo! mail. They offer loads of options and capabilities, and it's all FREE! Plus, you can get Yahoo! Messenger for Palm OS free and see your email, local news, sports scores, etc. on your Treo.

jsjsjs
    Originally posted by jrsites

I'd suggest signing up for a free Yahoo! email account and just use that. I think you could set up your Earthlink mail to forward to your Yahoo! address, that way you could still receive email at your Earthlink address, but use the Yahoo! SMTP server for sending mail. You can even configure the One Touch client on the Treo so that it shows your Earthlink email address in the header, even though you're using the Yahoo! email account.

I'd suggest looking into the Yahoo! mail. They offer loads of options and capabilities, and it's all FREE! Plus, you can get Yahoo! Messenger for Palm OS free and see your email, local news, sports scores, etc. on your Treo.

jsjsjs
    Yahoo works great for downloading email. But if you send e-mail with Yahoo, remember that it puts the little Yahoo blurb at the bottom. (something like, "Yahoo mail - use it every day"). I send a lot of business email, so that won't work. Also, Yahoo may restrict your email name to your "@yahoo.com" name. If you use Earthlink's smtp server, you can use whatever email name you choose.
    Ah yes, forgot about the "Do you Yahoo?" stuck to the end of every email. No, that won't do for business use.

jsjsjs
    If you're using EarthLink for access, then your SMTP server HAS to be smtp.earthlink.net, no matter what your POP server is. This is true with most ISPs, you must use their smtp server for your outgoing mail, no matter what mail account you're sending from.
    A good sign! My order just went from "received" to "pending".
    (ordered 2/20 with VS activation). I sure would love to have it for the weekend...
    ddenson ... they're now "preparing order" status now. when i talked to them yesterday hs said the hold-up is from voicestream. the customer rep said they should be shipping units very soon ... keep your fingers crossed.
    This morning I discovered that my Voicestream message forwarding was not working. IE you call me and if my Treo is off it should go to voicemail. It didn't.
    Much finger pointing between HS and VS ensued. Short of it is that the SIM needs to be programmed with Voicestream's message forwading number (areacode-exchange-6245). The Treo appears to permit this 'Carriername'-options-call preferences. BUT that switch is to forward ALL messages. If you select it all your incoming calls will go to Voicemail. On the normal cell phone you have a choice to forward 'all calls' or 'only when you are unavailable'.
    Short of it - I left HS and VS pointing at eachother, took out the SIM, put it back in my old phone, configured it and then restored it to the Treo. All works fine now.
    I do not know how the SIM got blown away but somehoe this info had been lost.
    The beat goes on.....
    CP
    Well, I am still waiting.............Ordered 2/11/02 early am. Status went from "Pending" to "Preparing Order" on Friday, where it still sits. Confirmed cc had been charged over the weekend, but still nothing. Have been reading everyone's impressions, and bugs with interest, and a small bit of jealousy. Was hoping to have it for use in the UK where we'll be on vacation tomorrow. OH well........
    Thank you to jrsites, heberman and jwardwell. Following jwardwell's suggestion to be sure to speicfy smtp outbound server as in smtp.earthlink.net - I got it all to work.

So in Onetouchmail I have inbound: mail.comcast.net outbound: smtp.earthlink.net It works.

Thanks to all.
    CP
    Anyone else receive treos? My order status went from order received - pending - preparing order yesterday. Got the email saying my carrier approved my service. Now just waiting for that glorious email saying it's been shipped...
    (ordered 2/20 with VS service).
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast