Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1.    #1  
    I have been a huge Palm fan for a long time. I am talking the Kyocera QCP 6035 long. I really want to go with the Pre because of the fact that I am on Sprint and it is not a Palm.

    With major concerns over hardware (I am hard on my phones) and not wanting to buy in before an update, wouldn't you expect a new pre to be announced at CES 2010?

    All I want on a new pre is more memory and a sign that the hardware is sturdier. My contract is up in December and I assume I would get the phone for the heavily discounted price. Correct?

    Should I hold off until CES?
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by saluki42 View Post
    I have been a huge Palm fan for a long time. I am talking the Kyocera QCP 6035 long. I really want to go with the Pre because of the fact that I am on Sprint and it is not a Palm.

    With major concerns over hardware (I am hard on my phones) and not wanting to buy in before an update, wouldn't you expect a new pre to be announced at CES 2010?

    All I want on a new pre is more memory and a sign that the hardware is sturdier. My contract is up in December and I assume I would get the phone for the heavily discounted price. Correct?

    Should I hold off until CES?
    I understand your dilemma..I started a similar thread and poll in the cross platform forum here about getting a pre, droid or waiting for the pre 2. I want more user memory as well and my sprint contract is up this month.

    So I decided to get a used pre off ebay a few weeks ago. Now I am off contract with sprint and I can see if I really like webos and the pre hardware while waiting to see how things shake out in the real world for droid users and what comes down the pike at CES and/or the next pre.

    As a log time palm user, I like the pre but don't love it yet. We'll see. Maybe you could try things out and keep your option open too.
  3. #3  
    i dont think a new pre is coming out until at least august of 2010.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by novablade View Post
    i dont think a new pre is coming out until at least august of 2010.
    But that is my point. If there is a new pre coming out around then they would likely announce it at CES in a month or so.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by rinkeedink View Post
    I understand your dilemma..I started a similar thread and poll in the cross platform forum here about getting a pre, droid or waiting for the pre 2. I want more user memory as well and my sprint contract is up this month.

    So I decided to get a used pre off ebay a few weeks ago. Now I am off contract with sprint and I can see if I really like webos and the pre hardware while waiting to see how things shake out in the real world for droid users and what comes down the pike at CES and/or the next pre.

    As a log time palm user, I like the pre but don't love it yet. We'll see. Maybe you could try things out and keep your option open too.
    This is real good advice. As a long time Palm user - Palm V and every model till my Treo 755p, I suggest you also get a used Android phone along with the used Pre, and let us know which one you like!
    Regards,

    2smart4phone
  6. #6  
    I just did the same thing... bought a used pre to check it out and not use my upgrade or start the contract over.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by novablade View Post
    i dont think a new pre is coming out until at least august of 2010.
    Hi! Just wondering if you had a source/citation that supports this, or if it is just speculation on your part? (Not that there's anything wrong with that -- I was just wondering if you'd heard something that indicated this one way or another.)
  8. pmc2010's Avatar
    Posts
    25 Posts
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    #8  
    the first device was announced at CES to get immense exposure about palms new great revolutionary product. I doubt at this ces they are going to have a "pre 2" for display. What are they going to do put 32 gb of storage increase the ram and cpu and call it a revolutionary product. The pre 2 will come around the onew year anniversary of tthe pre. John rubenstein is no ***** and knows that steve jobs is a genious and will follow the same path and have a new product out every year. Web os is the focus now and it is unlikely that something very different and new will be making its way to CES
  9. krische's Avatar
    Posts
    421 Posts
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    #9  
    Come on nvidia tegra pre!
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by pmc2010 View Post
    the first device was announced at CES to get immense exposure about palms new great revolutionary product. I doubt at this ces they are going to have a "pre 2" for display. What are they going to do put 32 gb of storage increase the ram and cpu and call it a revolutionary product. The pre 2 will come around the onew year anniversary of tthe pre. John rubenstein is no ***** and knows that steve jobs is a genious and will follow the same path and have a new product out every year. Web os is the focus now and it is unlikely that something very different and new will be making its way to CES
    I agree. CES worked for Palm last time but it wouldn't be wise to use them again for a Pre 2 if its not launching til June. That would kill current Pre sales. It also seems that many are too focused on the Pre. The Pre doesn't define palm, it's just one phone. WebOS defines palm.

    CES could be used for some new form factor. Ideally Palm would launch a new phone every 4 months if it has 3 form factors scattered throughout year. Right now it's Pre in June. Pixi in November. A Feb/March launch would fit right in for a big screen webOS device.

    I still think you turn the Pixi into a Pro device later. I'm not convinced there is a separate low price market. But there could be a 4th form factor there somewhere.

    Bottom line is with 3-4 form factors, Palm will have buzz throughout the year if they can maintain annual cycles with each.

    I questioned whether Palm should have came out so quickly with a second form factor in the Pixi. Since they've laid the ground work to support multiples though, a third one might not be too far fetched. A big screen would pack the most punch for them IMO..slab or landscape kb (though i wonder about touchstone compatibility with a landscape slider).
  11. #11  
    I dont belive that a new pre would come soo soon. As it is still comming to some countries.. would not be wise to in a few countries have the pre as a newest device and in US would be already the pre2... who would buy the "old" one in the new countries? most of the people would wait for the newer one to reach them aswell
  12.    #12  
    I certainly don't think it would be to crazy to release an updated pre at CES. I am not saying it will be a pre2 but like the Iphone, they work on the build quality a bit and put more memory in it and still call it the pre.
  13. #13  
    A Pre with a more solid slider, metal construction, use the Pixi Keyboard, and beef up the CPU/Flash storage, and you have a winner. IMO. :P
  14. sstlthy's Avatar
    Posts
    42 Posts
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by csinsc View Post
    I just did the same thing... bought a used pre to check it out and not use my upgrade or start the contract over.
    +1
  15. UF15's Avatar
    Posts
    104 Posts
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by saluki42 View Post
    But that is my point. If there is a new pre coming out around then they would likely announce it at CES in a month or so.
    Just because they did it last year doesn't mean they will do it this year. The circumstances are completely different. Last year, everybody was flocking away from Palm devices to the iPhone. They had to announce early to try to stem that off as much as possible. If they do it this year, they will just cannibalize a lot of their own Pre sales, which have been struggling. They had to show people they had something revolutionary on the horizon last year. Now that it is out, they need to mind their current phone lineup. I would look for a June announcement and release.

    Quote Originally Posted by krische View Post
    Come on nvidia tegra pre!

    Yeah, let's get a chipset thats primary feature (graphics acceleration) is not accessible in WebOS. If they are going to stick to this crude CPU-does-everything approach, we need a Snapdragon processor.

    If their next phone doesn't have a resolution that at least matches the Droid, I am gone and never looking back. Ideally I would like a slab WebOS device with a good virtual keyboard.

Posting Permissions